DIY After Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jimjo1031, Jul 26, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Since I already had the ingredients for some of the easy after shave recipes, I decided to try one out. This calls for 1/2 cup of Vodka, 1/4 cup of Witch Hazel, 1 Tablespoon Glycerine, 1 Tablespoon Aloe Vera Gel, 1 Teaspoon Vitamin E oil and Essential Oil of your choice. I used Sweet Orange but I really didn't measure it, I just put in a little at a time for the right scent. Until I go to the thrift stores and find some bottles I like, I just put it in a plastic spray bottle for now. Yeah, it was from one of my GF's hair products, but I asked first and cleaned it out pretty good before adding the AS in it. It smells really nice and leaves my face feeling pretty good. Just shake well before using because it will separate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

My father's a chemist, so these terms are embedded in my memory from childhood.
    You need an emulsifier.
    It binds to both oil and water so the components don't separate.

DaltonGang and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

I think grape seed oil is an emulsifier. Maybe add some to it and compensate the others for proportions

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I can't find any information about grape seed oil that says it's an emulsifier.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

I might have gotten it mixed up with carrier oils. Could've meant coconut oil as an emulsifier, I was going through sites and doing the speed reading thing, glancing. But it still works ok as long as I shake before using. Besides I can't believe the prices on orange after shaves.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To the best of my knowledge, no oil can act like an emulsifier, given what emulsifiers actually do. Just shaking it up before use is the simplest solution.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. jimjo1031

Thanks to Linuxguile, it seems he has found an emulsifier and it's not expensive, polysorbate 20 or tween 20.

RyX and Sara-s like this.