July 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2016.

?

How do you plan to beat the heat with your shaves this summer?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Menthol. Menthol and more menthol!

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Cold water shaves.

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. The DryGulch method....menthol.......just lower.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Eating ice cream and cookies before every shave.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who needs cookies.....I'll just take the ice cream.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Cookies and cream flavor ice cream. With cookies.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Oh come on....pass the cookies and let's just get going.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Hey y'all, watch this...Popsicle Shavettes!

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

After I get done with the Swede I will be spending two weeks with the Ikon X3 tossing a few different top tier blades in it. After that, hmm Maybe I'll spend some time with the Shake Sharp

Drygulch, BearCWY, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

My focus this month has been all over the board since I caught RAD. I'm waiting on one more razor and I'm done for a while. My focus next month will be on injector and SE razors. I'm going to throw in the occasional SR shave but I'm still practicing stroping so they are going to be spread out. I'm also introducing a new brush soon and will let my synthetic take a much deserved break.

Drygulch, BearCWY, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

20160726_141444-01.jpeg

CJB/Feather Pro (2)
    Stirling 24mm Finest 2 Band
    Stirling Gentleman Shaving Soap
    Alum
    Thayers
    Stirling Gentleman Aftershave W/ Menthol

Decided to break out the Pain Stick again today before heading back to the Rockwell. I actually enjoyed yesterdays shaves with the CJB and I have come a long way since my first shave with it. The Pain Stick is no longer a scary, bloodthirsty monster (ok I am still somewhat cautious with it but not as much as before) and am glad to have it in my den.

BBS in 2 passes with no nicks or irritation. Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!

Drygulch, BearCWY, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

July 3/3 Brush Focus

SOTD 07272016.gif
    Synthetic bristles holding their scritch make for good loading of tallow soaps. This scrappy little injector is my runt of the litter, but shaves with the best loaded with a Chick blade. Quiet alum, but smooth burn from an alcohol laced AS and I'm out the door.

Rufus T., Drygulch, BearCWY and 6 others like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have a straight inbound from @HolyRollah aka Kevin, that I'll be testing, and bringing my other straights up to that standard, so lots of rock time next month. Of course I'll be joining Neal on blade trials as my inventory allows. And assuming there are still some razors available in Kevin's herd thinning when my budget agrees, I might add more to the collection.

Drygulch, BearCWY, RyX and 6 others like this.
  6. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

July 2016 Bigfoot Focus

July 27

Razor: Bigfoot Shaves
    Blade: Ladas
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Soap: Stirling MITA

20160727_075515-picsay.jpg

Another shave using the Bigfoot Shaves razor and the ladas blade. It is a good combination and ended again with an irritation free near BBS. The razor, when paired with something other than the horrendous blade it ships with, actually has been quite a surprise. I have sent an email to the company to find out what materials are used in its making. Their website claims it has a lifetime warranty and will not rust so I am just curious what they used for materials. Will pass along the answer if I get one. I think the Bic will get used next with the razor. It is another sharp blade that should pair well with the razor.

Drygulch, BearCWY, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One thing you will discover in your honing adventures is the results WILL vary from razor to razor. I've had razors that take on a keen edge with ease and minimal work while others provide a much greater challenge.
    Getting predictable results takes practice and time. If every razor you hone had little or no hone wear or was made of the same quality steel, or was the same shape, thickness and grind, honing would be so much easier! The reality is there is tremendous variation, even from the same manufacturer or era made. With vintage blades, you can add in years of honing by who knows how many people of varying ability and who knows how much a particular blade may have been compromised?
    This isn't meant to dissuade newcomers from honing—but I'm simply speaking from my own experience that there isn't a 'one size fits all' approach to honing razors.
    The good news? I've learned more from my mistakes than from my successes. :p:D
    I do suggest you avoid severely warped, badly hone-worn, smiley, frowning or WEDGE razors when starting out.

Drygulch, BearCWY, RyX and 7 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for the advice Kevin. I'm only a little more nervous now

Drygulch, BearCWY, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Most of the Chinese razors I've encountered are using aluminum. That way it's rust proof and cheap at the same time.

Drygulch, wmbjr, BearCWY and 3 others like this.
  10. cmorris357

Funny you should mention that. The biggest problem I've had so far is a Red Imp Wedge. I got it to shave, but not as comfortably as I would like. But, as you said, it's a learning game.

Drygulch, wmbjr, BearCWY and 5 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I believe it is chrome over brass

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Last focus shave of the month.... I am leaving on jet plan today. :happy093:

Brand new TI 7/8. A good shave today so I great way to start my vacation.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A Sharpness A-

ID - 1.jpg

Drygulch, wmbjr, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Safe travels and may you return to us in good health!

Drygulch, wmbjr, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Shavertime!

July 27

Grand Blade Trial

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, Nivea, The Veg

Last day on the Shark Super Stainless from Lord and the Slim was wide open and ready to go. Yesterday's run with the razor at 6 was definitely an improvement over the mild 2, but still wasn't a fantastic shave. I know, I know, I ask a lot but.....really I just want it to be comfortable, smooth and efficient to a DFS. Is that too much to ask? The feeling of a bit of dragging still held it down for me yesterday.

Well, I'm happy to say that this blade, which lacks sharpness more than anything else, clearly seems to like the more aggressive razors. The first pass this morning on the Slim at 9 was actually quite nice. Audible feedback but it was the smoothest the blade has given me. And effective! Second XTG was also smooth and closer than I thought I'd get. The third ATG and Gillette Slide took me to a near BBS. Just not quite over the line for the baby.

Now, it HAS to have irritated this time. So, hit the alum and I can honestly say I stood there a bit shocked. Not a hot spot. Nothing stinging, burning.....just nothing. Fairly impressive.

My take on the Shark Super Stainless.......definitely a better option than I thought. I'd probably put it in the middle of the pack, top half at least and I could live with it every day if I had to. I prefer sharper blades, but this blade in the right razor will apparently produce some very fine results!

Tomorrow it's on to the Rapira Swedish Supersteel. Three days in the land of the Russians. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces with the Slim. See if it can improve its standing with me. I consider it in my top 10 Russian blades. Let's see if it can rise closer to the top. Hope you all had a great Wednesday!

Shark SS Day 3.jpg

Drygulch, wmbjr, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  15. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

SOTD
    7/27/16

Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (3)
    Blade: Sharp Star (4)
    Brush: TGN Finest
    Soap: WSP Formula T Barbershop

Sorry for not posting in the last few days, my sleep schedule had gotten all screwed up. My days and nights were backwards and I hadn't shaved in about 3 days, Tonight I decided to take it easy with only two passes and a clean up and got half way between DFS and BBS shave tonight with no irritation. First pass was pretty good WTG and I got better reduction than I was expecting. I used the blade buffing technique and rinsed off my razor often so it would not clog. Second pass XTG was as good if not better, again with the blade buffing taking my time and short strokes. I was pretty close at that point so I just did a little clean up on my neck which resulted in a fairly good shave with no irritation what so ever. I rinsed off with cold water and ran the alum on my face, other than the cool sensation I had no heat or burning or anything. I splashed on my witch hazel and got the same sensation as the alum. I decided to use the Aqua Velva tonight and got a nice almost menthol cooling effect on my cheeks and neck which was refreshing. Although I didn't get a BBS shave tonight it was one of the most enjoyable in quite some time, I'll trade the less close shave for the comfort. Hope everyone had a great shave today, and an even better one tomorrow! :cool:

16. cmorris357

Blade Palooza round 2 (for me) day 2. The Shark Super Stainless in the Slim set on 6. I'm beginning to be impressed by this blade. A much better shave than Monday. I didn't feel any of the tugging or drag that Neal mentioned. The usual three passes and touch up yielded a very nice shave, just shy of BBS. Almost no feedback from the alum mirrors Neal's experience with the smoothness of the Shark. I agree it not as sharp as my favorites, but it doesn't seem to show up in the form of tugging, but rather a lack of efficiency per pass. I can get a fairly close shave, but it takes a little more effort than my usual blade choices. The lack of irritation is somewhat surprising. If this blade were a little sharper it would be a contender.

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

July Focus Day 28:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Colgate Mug Soap
    Gem Junior
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Vintage Old Spice AS

I have to admit, lately I have been a little lazy in my shaves and haven't used a straight at every opportunity. Today was another of those days, and I went with the Gem Junior again. The three shaves I have had with this razor have been very good and very close. To me this is a smooth shaver. I also stumbled across an older puck of Colgate Mug Soap, so I used it this morning as well. I didn't get huge volume of lather, but I had more than enough and it was very slick. I was impressed. I capped it off with some Old Spice from the early 50's, and now it's off to work. I hope everyone has a great day!

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've wrapped up my July focus using the Eli's Extracts brushless head shaving creams. I like the scents and the post shave skin feel. They work fine with my Trac II and I have no doubt they would work well with other multi-bladed cartridges. However, when it comes to using a DE, my experience is that they don't provide enough protection. For my scalp, the cushioning of a slick scalp lather made with a brush and good soap makes all the difference in the world for smoothness and glide with a DE razor. I wrapped up yesterday's head shave by using both a Trac II and my Gillette NEW SC and the brush.
    I seem to get better scalp shaves with a DE - as long as I am shaving every other day to every 3 days. More than 3 days requires 3 or more passes with a DE or 2 passes with the Trac II. I no longer own any other cartridge razors, so that part is off the table.
    The Eli's Extracts creams provide excellent post shave feel and, for me anyway, eliminate the need for aftershave on the noggin, but fall short in protection with a DE razor.

Drygulch, wmbjr, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I need to catch up with this thread, but here's today's SOTD from Sedona.
    image.jpeg

wmbjr, Keithmax, BearCWY and 8 others like this.
  20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Beautiful! I was married in Sedona, gorgeous country up there.

wmbjr, Drygulch, BearCWY and 2 others like this.