Shavettes: The Truth About Disposable Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 24, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    On the contrary, I like to be kept abreast of new developments in wet shaving, particularly when they apply to subjects such as this.

I don't consider myself 'the' authority on shavettes, as there are people much more experienced than I out there. I just happen to be the one who put together this article based on my research into shavettes and updated it based on my experience and new developments.

If you read the first few pages, you'll see a few people disagree with me on certain things. It's the internet. I have my opinion, they have theirs, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. :)

178-bplatoon, Birdie and JBSharp like this.
  2. ccasche

ccasche New Member

I am new here and really enjoy the topics. I have been a straight razor enthusiast for about a month. I would agree in my limited (new guy) experience that my first piece, a Dovo Shavette is great for a closey, but the flex/malleability of the razor makes it less forgiving. I gather that the flex is what skins you up if you are not evenly placed on the skin corner to corner on the blade, and if you get a skip or a jump you get skinned. I have three other pieces that are all straights, and they seem more forgiving because they're stiffer by a long shot. However, they are not necessarily as close a shave per pass.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've always heard the opposite, that the rigidity of the blade is what makes shavettes harsh, and the flex of a true straight is why they are more forgiving.
    Edit: unless you are referring to the flex of the Dovo Shavette itself. It's not the sturdiest design.

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I was able to update the article with the following information:

"Thanks to @AGHisBBS I had the opportunity to try one of these so-called DEvette's. After some initial experimentation, I settled on using a steep angle (with the handle almost parallel to my face). That might seem counter-intuitive, but a person is less likely to cut themselves using a steep, rather than shallow angle. I did two passes with the grain, and by the second pass, I was using the razor much like any other DE razor.

I didn't get any cuts, nicks, weepers, gashes, gouges, or even any irritation. All in all, a rather anticlimactic shave."

@Carbide Mike predicted I would have an easy time of it, and I'm happy to say he was right. I wouldn't recommend this razor to someone just starting out, but if you feel you have mastered your DE shaving technique, this razor will prove you a true master of the DE razor, or a liar.

I used Kiss my Face Limes Moisture Shave cream, a 2001 two band New Forest badger brush, and the current blade in my rotation, an Astra SP with two or three shaves on it. Follow up was a liberal application of Witch Hazel and Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic. No sting or burn.

5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

6. Dr. Sassafras

Dr. Sassafras New Member

Hi guys. Ive really enjoyed reading the posts up to this point. Ive used a Schick extreme3 disposable razor since I started shaving. Ive always had a interest in perhaps getting a straight razor, and was doing some research on them when I came across the idea of shavettes. Not having to worry about sharpening is appealing. Im sure I can figure things out after I get my feet wet, but really need some straightforward advice. I want to keep this economical, but down mind spending a little more if it will make a difference. Something purchasable off eBay or online would work well for me.

Can you suggest some search terms for me? I guess I will need the handle and the blades.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

It seems to me that there are greatly differing opinions on the value of using a shavette. Many say that it is not like a straight razor, and I say, for all practical purposes (in other words, everything that matters), they are, minus the sharpening. I use mine several times per week, and I have no issues at all with it. It could be that perhaps I have an exceptionally good one. I don't know. I use a Parker, with Derby blades, and it shaves as close, or maybe even a bit closer than my Dovo and Genco straight razors, with much less trouble. I've had 2 other shavettes, one no-name styled similar to the Dovo Shavette, and another Chinese no-name similar to the Feather Artist. They were both horrible, and nicked my face regularly, until I relegated them to my fly tying bench. So there does seem to be quite a difference between brands and designs. My Parker gives me the best and most comfortable shaves I have ever had from any razor....just like a Barber Shop shave. I can't recommend the Parker highly enough, at least with the Derby blades. I have also used Feather blades in it with excellent results.

The Parker is not expensive. I got mine on Ebay for under $20.00, and it came with a nice vinyl case and 100 Derby 1/2 blades. If you want to go for the Cadillac model, I think that would be the Feather Artist Club...at around $150.00 - $200.00. I have no experience with it, but it gets very good reviews. The Dovo is also very popular and gets good reviews. I think they go for between $15.00 - $30.00 depending on the model.

For what it is worth, I have not used any of my straight razors since getting the Parker, a few years ago.

I hope this helps.

8. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I use a shavette because it's fun. I usually only use it about once per week, on one of my days off. I have sliced my cheek once with it, while using my left hand. Still, I enjoy shavettes. In addition, using one actually helped my DE shaves, as I used a lighter touch and a better angle with my DE, that the shavette forced me to learn.

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Plan, sorry if this has been asked. Is the handle on that devette compatible with standard threads? It looks nice.

Fascinating read, as always.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It is compatible with standard 10/32 threaded razor heads, i.e. Gillette.

AGHisBBS and macaronus like this.
  11. Dr. Sassafras

Dr. Sassafras New Member

Great. Thanks Gigmaster. I just placed an order for a Parker SR1 and a bunch of Derby single blades. Really looking forward to it! After I get use to this setup I might try a DE just for fun.

macaronus likes this.
  12. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

For a DE, I have both a Merkur 38c, and a Parker 91R, as well as 1955 and 1957 Gillette Super Shavers. I also have a Feather Popular. I recommend the Merkur and the Parker highly, without reservation. The Merkur, in particular, is a beast, at over 2.5 oz. It feels like you have something in your hand, for sure. Both razors give a silky-smooth shave. The Gillettes perform very similar to the Merkur and Parker, with the 1955 model having just a little 'edge' (sorry, couldn't resist...). over the 1957 model. Don't get one any newer than 1962, because they changed the design in that year, and it does not hold the blade as securely. The shave suffers greatly because of it.

For a low-prced DE, I don't think you can beat the Feather Popular. It's as good as any DE I have ever used until you get into the Merkur/Parker range. Also, I have a Lord DE, which is a cheap knock-off of a Merkur, and shaves almost as good. At under $12.00 brand-new, it's hard to beat. And just about any DE will beat those new junky, multi-blade contraptions (Gillette Fusion, Mach 3, etc...). They are nothing but expensive garbage.

The blades have a lot to do with how good a shave you get. Everyone's face is different, so it is hard to make specific recommendations, but Feather blades are the absolute sharpest in the world, so much so that they are scary until you get used to them. They may be too aggressive for some. Derbys are wonderfully sharp, very comfortable, and forgiving. My next favorite is Astra. Gillette 5 O'Clock blades are OK, as well. Shark, Personna, Schick, Wilkinson Sword, etc... are junk (in my opinion). I have never gotten a good shave with any of them, and they dull very quickly. They just don't have the keenness of the others.

The shaving soap/cream you use also makes a big difference. In my opinion, there is nothing better on the entire planet than Arko. Inexpensive, and it creates mounds of super-smooth, luxuriously creamy foam that makes your skin purr. My blade just glides through it, yet it does not feel slick or oily, like Nevia, and other junk. It makes me look forward to shaving. Throwing a damp towel in the microwave for a minute or so, then wrapping it around your face, after apply the shaving soap, for 5-10 minutes or so, also makes a huge difference.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot more to getting a good shave than just the razor. But the razor is definitely the place to start.

One more thing, then I'll shut up. Don't rush your shaving time. Be sure to allow plenty of time for the routine. This is your Me-Time, and sometimes (for me, anyway) it's the best part of the day. Use hot towels, relax and enjoy the moment. Read the news, have a cup of coffee (carefully) while the shaving cream soaks your beard. At my health club, I will often lather up, and sit in the steam room with a hot towel on my face for 10 minutes or so, before shaving (in the sink, and not in the steam room, of course....). The more relaxed you are, the better your shave will be. Take your time and enjoy it.

Paul Turner and Dr. Sassafras like this.
  13. Dr. Sassafras

Dr. Sassafras New Member

Wow. Thanks so much. I figured I might as well take advantage of your wisdom while I can! I purchased a used Parker 96R for $20 and a box of Astra blades, since I already purchased single edge Durby blades. We will see how it goes. I also picked up a 10pk of Feather blades, just so I can get a feel for the difference. But now that I have 105 single edge and 110 double edge blades I will be set for quite a while!

I also appreciate your explanation of the ritual. I appreciate it. really looking forward to this new experience.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. cjw

cjw Active Member

I use shavetts 95% of the time. Regular straights the rest of the time. If you mute the corners of the DE blade with a diamond file takes the bite out of them. I have a short closely groomed narrow beard. With a shavette it is much easier to cut the lines. A regular straight it much harder to maneuver . I have Feathers, Focus slim AL's , Dovos, but the ones I use the most are the Classic Samurai brand. They work for me probably have a dozen of them. Own a dozen regular straights use them on the weekend when I have more time to strop and take my time shaving . But normally its Shavettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Holang-i, PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for sharing. Great info.

Holang-i and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. Holang-i

Holang-i Member

Love this article i have several shavettes and no its not a pre curser to straight razor shaving agreed because the technique is entirely different. I bought it because it was a logical next step from De razors considering shavettes use half of my De blades that i already have plenty of. I also like that i can dispose of the blade. After buying a few different ones i realized there are different types and styles the most unforgiving one i have is by awans its got a very italian design i havent cut my self or anything but i have to be very cautious with it and the angles.

Attached Files:

macaronus and EnglishChannel like this.
  17. Holang-i

Holang-i Member

I use shavettes most of the time too the smoothest one is the black widow the harshes ones are golden dragon and awan

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    macaronus likes this.
  18. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Very helpful article thanks...

19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update.

20. Hulk_25

Hulk_25 New Member

Where do I find a razors that can use injector blades for persona, feather and schick?

RyX likes this.