Hand Cleaner Alternative

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by barbersurgeon, Aug 19, 2015.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I work on cars from time to time. My hands get grimy if I'm not wearing nitrile gloves (usually when it gets too hot). If your out of hand cleaner try this technique with two items you have in the kitchen:

First take a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil and rub it into your hands over the sink. Basically you want to dissolve the grime in this carrier oil. Just keep rubbing them together and working around your nail beds. Your hands might feel warm after a bit. I don't know if this is because the oil is trapping heat or there is actually some kind reaction going on. I suspect the former is the case. I use canola oil, it's cheap and it is high in esters, which is a good carrier oil for this purpose. At least 30 seconds of working the oil in seems to be good.

Next you will want to apply dish detergent, such as dawn. This removes the canola oil and all the grime/oil that it has lifted off. Work the soap lather for 20-30 seconds and rinse with warm water.

This works best if you have someone to apply the oil and soap for you as well as turning on the water. I find that If I wander into the kitchen with really greasy hands and act like I'm going to touch everything while making grunting noises, someone will get the idea!

I like this system for several reasons. First, I don't have to buy anything extra. I already have canola oil and dawn. Second, it works well for me. Third, It leaves my hands feeling softer than most dedicated hand cleaning products I've tried.

As always, YMMV!

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That sounds pretty good. Maybe you could get pump bottles for the oil & dish detergent & leave them on the counter. Then, you can get cleaned up without touching cabinet doors or bottles, without asking for help.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I will definitely have to give this a try. Sounds better than some of the chemicals I have put on my hands in the past.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

@ManHands Soap

Kizurra and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

I've used grape seed oil many times the same way. Works great for pine sap as well.
    That Would take the fun out of it. I usually do the zombie walk with hands outstretched, sound affects of your choice.:scared011:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

extra points if you act like you are going to dry your hands on the kitchen curtains.

Slipperyjoe and Kizurra like this.
  7. Paul Turner

until I get some liquid hand soap, I'll have to rely on my Stirling Barbershop bath soap-not bad, come to think of it.

Carbide Mike and Kizurra like this.
  8. barbersurgeon

Canola or veg oil, then dawn dish soap is the magic combo. Disolve the grease in the oil, then use dawn to remove both. I hear it's good for degreasing penguins too. :-0

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Kizurra likes this.
  9. barbersurgeon

I'm so honoured, my first thread resurrection!

Kizurra likes this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I always used to wash my hands really well and then use a serious amount of hand lotion. This was back when I was piping up a lot of boilers and the grime from handling and preparing pipe would get ground in. Afterwards I would wash the dishes by the end my hands would be acceptably clean. I received 2 benefits here, my hands got cleaned and I got married. I mean who doesn't love a man who likes to do the dishes?

Paul Turner and Sara-s like this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried vm&p naphtha? It's basically lighter fluid and is sold as paint thinner and will strip grease and most adhesives. Probably not good for long term exposure but ok for 10-20 seconds of scrubbing and it will not only clean your hands but help identify cuts and scrapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

well, I have my new liquid hand-soap, but now I'm thinking ahead to trying one from ManHandsSoap. The bars may require another soap-dish(already have one for the Stirlings).