Where to buy a good set of japanese water stones to 30000 grit?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by red abalone diver, Aug 23, 2016.

1. red abalone diver

red abalone diver New Member

Hi all, I've been custom sharpening knives for years. I'm new to wet shaving. For you experienced straight blade honers, where is the best place to buy the stones and flatners? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Straight Razor Designs has a good selection, and prices are about as good as you will find.

Billyfergie and gssixgun like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Shapton Glass 1k -30k

But that is a very pricey set and honestly only "Great" for a very few types of SR steel,,

Best all around SR hones on the market right now are the Naniwa SS 1-3-8-12 or 1-5-8-12 after you work with those then decide what finisher to go to ther then that 12k if any at all

and I concur SRD is a great source

4. red abalone diver

Thanks for all the great informationQUOTE="gssixgun, post: 1105376, member: 2180"]Shapton Glass 1k -30k

But that is a very pricey set and honestly only "Great" for a very few types of SR steel,,

Best all around SR hones on the market right now are the Naniwa SS 1-3-8-12 or 1-5-8-12 after you work with those then decide what finisher to go to ther then that 12k if any at all

and I concur SRD is a great source[/QUOTE]
    T

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use Naniwa SS 1,5,8,12 followed with a Shapton glass 16. Works good for me.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What is SRD?

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

TheFiveO and Billyfergie like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. red abalone diver

Thanks guys! I know how to hone my straight razor, just didnt know where to get the water stones. I don't get near to such a fine grit sharpening a knife, but then I wouldn't shave with a knife either.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Just a heads up, honing a razor and sharpening a knife are not quite the same skill set. I can get knives to scary sharp edges that will pop arm hairs all day long. They wouldn't be comfortable to shave with though. Check out some of the videos in the SR sticky on honing. You probably will pick it up faster than someone who hasn't done a lot of other sharpening, but the final goal is a sharp and comfortable edge, and it takes a while to get there.