August 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2016.

?

What's your favorite part of August?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2016.
  1. The blistering smothering heat and humidity.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The way the blistering smothering heat and humidity make my hair frizz.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. (waiting for cookies)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Overdosing on Menthol in the blistering smothering heat and humidity.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. The way mosquitoes thrive in the blistering smothering heat and humidity.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Cookies. On with the program. It's too hot for this nonsense.

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I just close my eyes when I swing, that way I will or hurt myself following the ball.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

How do think I hurt my back?

Actually, I was trying to dig a hole to see Keith in Korea with one swing. It turns out that if you hit that much earth with the club, you the club stops, but you don't.

RyX, Douglas Carey, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

That's why you didn't show up.

RyX, Douglas Carey, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Interestingly Seoul Korea works, but from South America. Heck of slice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

August Focus Day 24:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Jeeves of Hudson St Private Study
    Gem 1912
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Old Spice Fresh

Last month, @Drygulch and I exchanged a few straight, and it was a lot of fun to try some of his out. I received mine back yesterday, but Adam put a few surprises in the box for me. One was this great Gem 1912. He also included a couple of soap samples, including this Jeeves soap. So, this shave is courtesy of Adam. The soap is great, and I have now officially added the Jeeves to my must buy list. It is slick and protective. The scent of this one is light, but very pleasing. I had a 1912 previously, but PIFed it, so using this one so close to using the Damaskeene was interesting. They definitely shave differently. Both great but different. This is a bit more aggressive. I ended with an easy DFS.

Adam also threw in a straight razor roll he made as well as a DE razor cover for the times I pack a DE in my Dopp kit. I want to send a big thank you to Adam, as this was completely unexpected and very much appreciated.

NCoxSTL, RyX, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD August 24th
    [​IMG]

G.E. Jones Shake Sharp
    Astra SP (Side 1 Shave 2)
    La Toja (Grated and pressed in bowl)
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Tangerine AS

Easy and effortless DFS, Spending so much time with a single razor is good, getting to know it, learning to dial it in. But when I get to this point I start yearning for change. I think I will give the Shake Sharp one more shave and then I will finish out the month with my New Standard.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    NCoxSTL, RyX, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  7. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Day 10
    AoS best badger brush (broken in)
    Proraso Green Shaving Soap Jar
    Gillette New Long Comb
    Astra Superior Platinum Blade.
    Alum
    Ginger's Garden Dragon's Blood After Shave Splash

Created a nice rich lather and am loving the subtle menthol of the Proraso green. Two passes today. First north to south, second east to west with a new blade. No drama, no nicks, cuts or weepers. I paid attention not to do too much touch up around my nose (read avoid cuts). Some feedback from the alum that was pretty consistent on my face and neck. Ended up with a solid DFS bordering on BBS. Then I applied the AS. I would not call this stuff a splash on as the consistency is more of slick than a typical splash on. I don't know if it is the aloe, but this stuff is smooth. There is a slight warming sensation when I applied and then it absorbs into the skin leaving it feeling silky smooth and moist. After applying this great AS, my shave may have just gone from DFS to BBS. Maybe it's magic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    RyX, Keithmax, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

August Straight Razor Focus
    Another very nice shave. I think I finally have these straight razor things figured out
    TOBS Sandalwood Cream
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Giesen & Forsthoff Adoration Razor
    Alum
    Lucky Tiger
    Myrsol Blue AS
    Have fun![​IMG]

RyX, Bama Samurai, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

shave m90.jpg

Wool Fat Wednesday!!!!

Mongoose/ Feather Pro (4)
    Shave Revolution 24mm Synthetic
    The Fat
    Mentholated Thayers
    Super Mentholated Veg

Great shave today. 4 days in on this Feather Pro and much to @NCoxSTL's disappointment...still no blood, irritation or anything MAYhem like. Liking this brush more and more each time I use it. It whipped up The Fat into an awesome lather in no time. 3 full passes resulted in a BBS shave. No blood, cuts, nicks, lacerations, abrasions, or amputations. Finished off with my mentholated Thayers and after a cold water rinse I splashed on my super mentholated Veg concoction.

RyX, Bama Samurai, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

August 2016 Adjustable August

August 23

Razor: 58 Executive set on 6
    Blade: Rockwell Stainless
    Brush: Maggard 24mm
    Soap: Stirling MITA
    Post: Cold water rinse, Alum block, M-bombed witch hazel with Peppermint EO

Did my shave with the Rockwell stainless on 6. It was basically the same as the first shave, though maybe a touch less smooth. Both passes went well with good reduction and reasonable smoothness. I really do find that the blade is similar to a Personna blade, but I have changed my mind and say it is more like the ones I get at Kroger and not the lab blues. I think the lab blues might be a bit sharper than these are but not too much.

I will be interested in learning about their blades once they can provide that information to Neal (@NCoxSTL). Hopefully it will be a decent made in the USA blade. Tonight will be on 9 with the Executive. I am not sure this will be the best blade for use at 9 given that it is not the smoothest blade, but it at least is not so sharp that it will just filet me in the process. Sorry no picture today. I may try to add one later if I get a chance.

RyX, NCoxSTL, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  11. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Wednesday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- AOS Fine Badger
    Razor- Schick Adjustable/PAL Adjustable
    Blade- Schick Twin/Chinese Schick
    Soap- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    Old Spice Lime

Another great shave today with these two adjustables. I used the PAL for the right side today and the Schick for the left. No big difference between the two. The PAL was a little smoother on the first pass through the heavy growth. The Schick pulled slightly again but it wasn't bad. After three passes I was BBS all over, 9 hours later I'm still BBS and no difference between the two sides. I would be thrilled using either of these combos, they both produce great shaves. The Stirling and Old Spice combo was pleasant and I got a few compliments on it. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, RyX, Bama Samurai and 5 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy097:

Drygulch and Norcalnewb like this.
  13. Keithmax

It's a tough week in the den as another starter from the last season is up, a Dovo Master's. It hits most of the items I like in a straight, shoulder less, it is 6/8, looks cool but my favorite grind is 1/4 hollow but this razor is a full hollow.

The edge was just silky smooth today and sharp. Four passes, no blood and just a tickle from the alum. A solid BBS.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

This razor is my only stainless steel razor and while I prefer a heavier grind this razor still has good weight and it is fun to hear it mowing down the stubble. All this with the cool looks, great shave and easy to maintain edge it will retain it's spot in the starting lineup.

IMG_2910.jpg

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Awesome Adjustable Arko August!!!!

August 24

Grand Blade Trial

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, The Veg

Final day on the Rockwell and I find it interesting that @wmbjr and I seem to be having reversed opinions of this blade. Obviously, as I have stated many times, blades are subjective and different skin types, beard growth etc. can change the results 180 degrees from one person to another. His first day at the mild setting was quite good. Mine was not. At 6 on the Slim I felt it smoothing out and giving me a very nice, if not excellent shave. He felt it was loosing smoothness and not quite as good as on the mildest setting. Well, this morning I did the final day with the Slim wide open and.......I'm actually somewhat impressed.

First pass was a really efficient WTG and got good reduction. I don't think it's the sharpest blade I've used, but it isn't dull either. The second, XTG, pass was enough to land a DFS. Now that's a good result in my book as I often do two passes to the DFS and call it a day. The fact that it got there was a major point in favor of the blade. The third pass, ATG and Gillette Slide, nearly got the baby but was still very smooth and no blood at all. Alum was no worse than yesterday so no added irritation.

My rating of the blade would run from a B to an A-, with the higher grade in the more aggressive razor. Definitely a blade I would keep around as a break in routine from my Russians. I certainly favor it more than I thought I would after day one. And, from what I hear, the razor is an awesome tool as well! I may have to invest in one. I may wait until the TTO comes out next Spring. But, the 6S may get to be too much of a temptation for me. Seen lots of good things about it. And, I'd like to try it with some Russians as well as its own blade.

Now, as to the origin of the Rockwell, I am continuing to discuss this with Gareth and he is a great guy to deal with. Rather than just ignore me (like I'm used to by most companies until I bug the living hell out of them) he has responded a couple of times with a great attitude and let me know what's going on. Enough to know he really can't say much yet, but I have a tentative date when all can be revealed. I think he's following along some now so if so....thanks again for your help! And continued good luck with your business!

One final note, for those who wonder why the Blade Czar would work out of the middle of the USA instead of the middle of the Motherland.....this just in from the Moscow news bureau...........The Lou may have its problems.......but we've never seen anything like THIS event in Moscow!

And on that note - Have a great evening and a better tomorrow!​

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Adjustable August Wind Down.

Strop Shoppe Tallow Samples
    Omega Pro98, Suribachi bowl
    Gillette FB at seven, Voskhod
    Alum, Avon Bravo AS

SOTD 08242016.gif
    I purchased six samples of this S.E tallow through Maggard's when I first started shaving like the Pros. Mashed the little bits into a bowl as I tried them. Should have chosen a scent and ordered before they went belly up. Good slick thick moist lather. I see it now, but I was younger then. Can't say my shaves have become boring. The lack of errors is most welcome. Altered my pattern and I'm liking N to S/ WTG, S to N/ ATG, followed by E to W and back again with a lot of G-slide for fun. I'm getting less irritation & closer finish without touch ups. Alum and AS quieter that expected.
    (This shave bookmarked for future review.)

16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Today I got rid of old faithful. The sharp star/Gillette tech combo refused to not feel sharp so out of boredom I tossed the blade and decided to switch things up with a GEM MMBT and a GEM stainless blade. Same Route 66, same WD synthetic brush. Russain AS balm that I can't read because it's in Cyrillic. I can tell you that it had Siberian winter amounts of menthol.

I'm not sure how many shaves I had on that sharp star but it far surpassed 30. I'm guessing between 40 and 50 with no real noticable loss of performance. The 200 I have should last forever if I use them until they get dull in my tech.

On to today's shave. 2 passes for a DFS. One weeper in my usual place on the chin. Every time I switch razors I get myself in the same 2 spots. I got one today so I'll end up getting the other next time.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Killer blade life. Good stuff!

18. DDuckyMark

I blame the great mild design of the tech and my amazing technique. Most of those 40+ shaves were 2 pass BBS or almost BBS.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for the post. Reminded me to order more Sharp Stars. And I have no doubt your technique was at least half of the success if not more. I'm a believer.

20. DDuckyMark

That many days in a row and anyone would be an expert. I've barely used a Gem SE so this is nearly new territory for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.