Rolls Razor handle/blade mismatch?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Rolls Razor arrived today, all in all in beautiful shape... except I can't slide the blade (1939 date) onto the onto the fixed handle. Should the handle with the ball, which I have, be paired with a blade with some detent on the spline which receives the ball on the handle?? Is the ball is supposed to move into the handle as the blade slides in? Mine seems fixed or stuck. Help appreciated.

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Never mind, a bit of force and she's good.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Billyfergie likes this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The handle unscrews to allow the ball to go down. It actually is a rounded end on an internal pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's a two piece handle, even if you don't think it is. You have to unscrew the bottom of the handle a couple of turns. Don't force it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If it does unscrew it's pretty darn stuck. I'll give it a soak I guess and see if it loosens up

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

If it's a one piece handle the part that presses against the blade will look sort of like a ball bearing and it will be spring-loaded. You should be able to push it in with the tip of a small screwdriver - if you push hard; the spring is pretty stiff. If it's a two piece handle the part will be more like a pin and won't move at all - it backs out when you unscrew the two parts of the handle.

There is only one type of blade. It has no detent and is held in by friction, whether from spring tension with the one piece handle or from tightening the two piece handle.

--Bob

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Clarification at last. indeed it's a ball, so a one piece, Didn't think I was nuts. Thanks.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

There are two type of handles. One is a two piece and the other is a single piece which the handle would extend out of the barrel. It collapses . The two piece should tighten and loosen when your twist. The other one the head would twist. .

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

"The second type (and later) handle is a 2 piece and works well but also has a proviso. It tends to rust and it tends to rust shut making it useless. If you’re looking at a Rolls with a 2 piece handle definitely take it apart to see if it’s rusted and if you’re shopping on E-bay, look for one that is dissembled in the pictures (picture 5) like the one I just bought or shoot the seller a question."

ob1page likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right. Not exactly useless but I get the drift. Fingers crossed on #2.

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I hope # 2 goes well! :happy088: