SEptember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 31, 2016.

?

What will you be using as part of SEptember?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2016.
  1. Injectors

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Gems

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. DE but with an old and cheap A/S

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Straights with or without the cheapo A/S

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. A glass of milk for the Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. A glass of an el cheapo A/S for dipping Snickerdoodles

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Just the Snickerdoodles please, and keep 'em coming

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Various Modern SE and Injector razors

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Heads up for the Grand Blade Trials. The Eddison is the next Israeli blade up starting tomorrow. As I mentioned earlier I'm going to be changing the format just a bit. Keeping the order but not holding to a two blade every six day schedule. As we've seen in this section on the Israelis there is always the possibility of unexpected or unexplained results showing up and the need to experiment a bit more. So, I'm only planning on a blade a week now. Yes, that will significantly stretch this out. However, on the days I'm not on the Trial I will be free to use other razors and join in more on the theme of the month if I choose as well. Of course, if it's three shaves and a result on the trial I may go ahead and start the next blade immediately as well.

For those keeping track here are the next and last three Israeli blades. Eddison, Viking Sword, Tomy.

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Nice picture amigo! highfive.gif

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Back on focus: Mastro Livi

The first two shaves with this razor were epic, todays shave was only fantastic. This razor still retains it place all the straight razors in my den. I was surprised by a small weeper but the alum was silent, still the small blood knocks down the irritation grade from A+ to A. BBS again.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

IMG_2993.jpg

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 26, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (6)
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Witch Hazel
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

The Route 66 Twisted Tweed was very easy to whip into a wonderful slick lather. After using the AlumiGoose for the last 7 days, the heft of the Mongoose was very apparent. Sticking with a 3 pass shave and touch ups ended in a near BBS. Finished the shave with a splash of Floid Blue. Overall a very good shave and a great way to start the week. I hope everyone has a fantastic Monday.

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD September 26, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G1 injector
    Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: Maggard's Orange Menthol
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Maggard's Orange Menthol, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Nice, easy shave this morning with Maggard's Orange Menthol. Nice scent and good menthol touch. Two days of growth was mowed down with ease by the G1 injector. Nice shave overall.

Have a great day!

SOTD 9-26-16.JPG

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4129.JPG

SEptember 26 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Frozen Tundra
    Schick Type A
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Aqua Velva AS

This razor is capable of some great shaves, but it can also bite. I am not sure exactly why, but I seem to have trouble with the corners of the blades. I have a couple little scratches, which I don't get from any other razor.

Other than the scratches, I would rate this as a DFS. I went with a little Aqua Velva for the finish, which always a personal favorite to start my day. I hope everyone has a great!

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Menthol Monday
    September 26, 2016

El Druida
    Stirling Soap Co. Margaritas in the Arctic
    PAL Adjustable
    Personna 74 #6
    Stirling Soap Co. Margaritas in the Arctic Witch Hazel
    Barrister and Mann Arctique

[​IMG]

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD September 26th
    [​IMG]

Henckels Rapide
    Gem Stainless (4)
    Satin Tip the Purest
    Blades Grim Smolder
    Tangerine AS & Nivea Sensitive ASB

This morning I attempted to shave with the Henckels blade that I honed, two strokes was enough to tell me that it wasn't sharp enough. So I swapped it with the Gem stainless that I had been using and proceeded to complete a very nice 3 pass shave. After I applied the Nivea I realized that it was better then a nice shave it was BBS through and through. I think I'm going to have to break down and send one of these Henckels blades to Glenn @gssixgun to get honed up to give me some better perspective on what I'm actually trying to achieve. Have a great day my friends!

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Guys, help me decide which soap to use for most of the month of October! I have a poll going in the Shave Soap forum. Click HERE.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This will be my last straight shave for SEptember. I have some new toys to play with. Tomorrow is Barbasol Floating Head day.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Wade and Butcher Celebrated 7/8
    Thayers WH
    Ogallala Bay Rum
    Have a great week![​IMG]

Keithmax, Salty Belle, RyX and 9 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Smells like a Drug Store SEptember!

September 26

Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (2)
    Blade - eddison-stainless.jpg (1)
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Soap - Arko
    Post - Alum, Stetson

A new week and I'm on my normal two days off before heading back after a break from the grind. Moving forward with the Trials today with the Eddison Stainless from Israel. Another Personna offering, as they all are, and this one features Hebrew on the packaging. I'm assuming this is a blade made more for the local market there. The printing on the blade is just the name of the blade and Stainless in English so nothing fancy there. It isn't, however, an obvious clone of the Crystal or Qball which are identical other than outer wrappers.

Arko and the Semogue 620 for a fine lather today and the biggest question is.....will this perform like a Red/Generic on the Slim 2 setting or like the Crystal/Qball? Fairly quickly on the first pass the answer was clear. Definitely doesn't mind the mild setting at all. Very smooth and did provide decent reduction on the first pass and at the end of all three passes it actually provided a very near BBS. Not quite but seriously....right on the verge. Quite impressive and makes me think this blade is very sharp. The Crystal/Qball also provided very high finishes on the Slim 2 and just got better with the 6 and 9. Some sharp blades will get harsh at 9 so we'll see which personality this one has in the next couple of days.

Finished with a totally quiet alum and some Stetson to add the finishing touch from the drug store. All in all a great shave and nice way to jump back into the Trials.

Hope your week is off to a great start!

Sept 26.jpg

Keithmax, Drygulch, RyX and 8 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Is the Floating Head new to you?

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes. I bought it Saturday and will be trying it out tomorrow. I hear they are nice shavers.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: AlumiGoose (Black) w/Timeless TRH2 Pineapple Handle
    Blade: Feather Professional (6)
    Brush: Oscar 11, w/Omega 10049 Boar
    Soap: Eufros Brisa de Oriente
    Aftershave: Myrsol Blue
    The AlumiGoose with the Timeless TRH2 Pineapple Handle is a winning combination. The Feather Professional is no slouch either. The Timeless TRH2 Pineapple Handle is listed as 304 Stainless steel with a fluted neck. It weighs in at 94 grams. Mine was 94.6 grams. I would trust Timeless Razor Co. scales over mine. :) Even with wet hands this handle is easy to hold and a dream to use while shaving. I would highly recommend this handle. http://timelessrazor.com/products
    Another so near of a BBS that I have to call my shave this evening -BBS.
    26 09 16.jpg

Keithmax, Drygulch, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Lovely photo Doug!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much Andrew.

17. Norcalnewb

I really like mine. It renewed my enjoyment of safety razors again. I think you will enjoy it.

18. Norcalnewb

I love that brush handle. Great picture!

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Love that AS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.