How does one go around a pimple?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Hello gents,
    My shave tonight, went as well as expected (since I got the technique down).
    Used a new feather inside a Fat boy on No. 8.
    I didn't notice I had a pimple right next to my upper lip and needless to say the feather went through it like a hot knife through butter. I only noticed when I saw blood. I used the styptic stick and took care of it. No big deal.
    How does one shave around a pimple with a DE, since one cannot really see or feel.

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Small ones - I mow 'em down.
    A big one - I'd probably steer around it.

I always begin by rinsing thoroughly with hot water and then applying pre-shave oil so it's a good time to check for obstacles. Kinda like looking for stones before firing up the lawnmower.

jsw41, crackstar, Taipan and 4 others like this.
  3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

As I shave right after showering, I don't use any pre-shave, just wet the area and start lathering, I really don't get a chance to check.
    Maybe I should be more thorough and check.
    Thank you for the answer.

crackstar likes this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I usually forget to check if I'm shaving before an important event that requires a white shirt and tie.

5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been fortunate enough that I haven't gotten any sizeable ones that I can remember since I started shaving but once in a while, I'll get a tiny one and just go over it. If it's small enough, I won't even nick myself and it will go away after keeping the area clean for a day or so.

When I had to recently deal with an ingrown that I got after using a cartridge razor, I just pulled the skin taut as I shaved over the area. It should flatten out any pimples quite considerably, which will allow you to go over it without nicking yourself. In the event that I do cut into a pimple, I try to go around the area if I'm doing subsequent passes, I wash the area with a face cleanser, and I apply the aftershave as per usual. If I'm not at home, I try to sneak to the bathroom every now and then to make sure that I'm not still bleeding and that I don't have any splotches of dried blood.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally don't notice them until it is too late and blood is running down my face.

A little alum or styptic pencil seem to do the trick when needed.

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

At my age, pimples are rarely ever seen. But, ingrown hairs come up every now and then.
    Mow them down. Show them who's in charge, then quickly grab the stypic pen.

crackstar, Jayaruh, RetLEO-07 and 4 others like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Pimples are rare for me...but if I did have one.. a keen razor edge makes quick work of it...

crackstar and Redfisher like this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very carefully!

crackstar and Demidog like this.
  11. Bigboss

Bigboss Member

Better to remove a pimple then a mole!

crackstar and Demidog like this.
  12. DanielLee5

DanielLee5 New Member

Quality pre-shave oil works great when you have pimples and want to avoid situations like this. Anti-acne gels and cremes are effective, I know this from my own experience. More good advices here https://healthyskinadviser.com/pimples-after-shaving/ , cos I am not an expert :)

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png Yeah, mow them down.

crackstar and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I always figured (if I got them) it was a quick way of getting rid of them. I'm a woodworker and figure its like planing wood. Smarts a little, but they don't seem to want to come back after the alum and aftershave.:rofl:

crackstar and Matt0210 like this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The other day I chopped off a small one near my chin and it hurt. At least it just bled a bit but I have no styptic pencil.

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

No advice here. I usually don't realize I have one until I hit it with the razor.

HERM

crackstar likes this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've been lucky...I've shaved over small "whiteheads" and never fazed them.

crackstar likes this.