Tuxedo Collective

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by RyX, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. I am making a Rubberset 400 style brush handle from oak that will get a Tuxedo knot. It is for a fellow TSDer. When my Tuxedo knot comes in, I am going to put it in it and take some pictures. You can read about it here: http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2016/10/jayaruh-121.html .

RaZorBurn123, mrchick, twhite and 2 others like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Jim.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

You set a high standard Jim. I enjoy seeing your "work in progress" photo collages. This one is amazing. I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of reposting a couple of the finished pictures.
    JR 121 Tuxedo.gif
    If Doug wasn't already in the 400 club, that would certainly get him in!

Tdmsu, Douglas Carey, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Boy am I envious of the lucky dude who winds ups with that brush....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Must be yours...lol

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, I assumed. Well someone is getting beaut.

7. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Holy cow this thread is absolutely incredible! You all are a serious bunch of enablers. JR has been talking a lot about this lately but I had no idea @Jayaruh had that many brushes. As the new guy here can you fill me in on that story?

Tdmsu, Douglas Carey, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  8. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Never mind, doing all this on my Samsung Note phone I could not see that @Jayaruh was a supporting vendor that made brushes. Sometimes it is best to log in on an actual computer!

I think this would look amazing with a Black and White Ebony wood handle. hint hint.
    [​IMG]

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, he is going to be one lucky dude. ;)

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It is official. The Tuxedo knot and the #119 handle are now one. I took it on its first shave today, and I was not disappointed. This one is a looker, a performer, and a keeper.

JR119_13.jpg
    JR119_13.jpg JR119_15.jpg JR119_16.jpg

tuxxdk, Slow Joe, Tdmsu and 8 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that wood. Lovely bowl.

12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well, @Rockclimber , once upon a time I was just a newbie like anyone else. Almost two years ago now, I got to wondering if maybe I could make my own brush handle. I had restored a couple of brushes, but I wondered if I could indeed make my own brush. We had a tree cut out of our back yard, and I had gotten some of its wood. It was a wild cherry tree. From that wood, I fashioned my first three brush handles. I was using tools I had on hand: table saw, sanders, drill, rasps, Swiss Army knife, and other common tools. From that point on, I would make maybe a couple of brushes a month. I have never sold any, but I do allow their adoption to good homes. I am not in the business, it is just a hobby in my "retired years." I just finished brush #121. Brushes #1-103 were all made without a lathe. I was given a lathe, and I do use it now along with the skills I have acquired over the last almost two years of handle making.
    I think Brush Fabrication Disorder (BFD) was named for me.
    http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/p/brush-fabrication-disorder-bfd.html

13. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

Lurk off- I usually lurk a long time before posting to make sure I understand the social mores, and don't offend anyone. This thread, however, has grabbed me. I have a very tired Rubberset 400-3 that I will rehab and reknot soon. I had considered a silvertip knot, or maybe a two-band finest, but I pulled the trigger on a 24mm Tuxedo today. It will take a while to get here, and that will give me time to work on the 400. I will try to take some decent pics and post them when I finish. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tom

PS - Jayaruh, is that a Long Comb Goodwill and a silver two-bit piece? Brilliant staging!

Douglas Carey, twhite, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Of all the synthetics I have ever put into a handle, the Tuxedo is my favorite. Plus the color just looks so good in the 400.

Welcome to the Den!

Douglas Carey, twhite and RyX like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Good eye. The Goodwill is English made for the French market. The two-bit piece is not silver, however.
    BTW, glad you stopped lurking.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Great choice for that handle. It will look great. Thanks for coming out of the rafters. Welcome.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Take some photos and post your before, during, and after in The 400 Club!

Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

My Tuxedo in Jayaruh 121:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

My JR90 Tuxedo
    [​IMG]
    Can I play now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

On so many levels! That's a handsome JR handle & razor stand. What types of wood? Have you lathered with a Tuxedo yet?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera