Okay...who actually uses an alum block post shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Do you use an alum block post shave?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2016.
  1. Yes

44.7%
  2. No

23.4%
  3. Sometimes

31.9%
  4. I'm not telling because its a secret

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

So...true confession. I have never used an alum block post shave. I know some guys still use one but it seems this shaving habit is not common (the poll will tell the tale). As I understand it, an alum block post shave serves as an antiseptic, astringent, styptic. I also understand it stings like heck if you have razor burn....so it can act as a barometer for your shave.

So...do you use an alum block post shave? If so, why?

Joe Ingal and clint64 like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Just haven't needed one, I like to keep things simple.

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. Suavemikey72

Suavemikey72 New Member

I have before, but it doesn't really work for anything but a styptic for me. My skin is on the sensitive side and the alum block is not affective as an astringent on me, I use witch hazel for that. The alum block does sting pretty bad as you mentioned.

On another note my brother has been using the same alum block for many years and swears by it. He uses it as an astringent/antiseptic as well as styptic and it works great for him. (We are Italian/Irish, he got the dark Italian skin I got the light Irish skin).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

champagneinhand and Rusty blade like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've been shaving since around 1979. I've never used an alum block.

Rusty blade likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use an alum block occasionally. It feels good on my skin, and it seals up any small nicks. I leave it on about a minute and then rinse it off.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I like to use the alum block as a test of my technique. If it stings, I know I got a little off. No feedback, and I know I had a good shave. It is very helpful with a straight razor. It also does help stop any small weepers I may have had.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes, that. I tried unscented witch hazel, but didn't find it did much for me. I even added some E.O. for scent. I did like the burn of an aftershave application. Now I use an alum block after every shave and yes, it gives feedback if I've had user error. Not that I want the burn, but I've come to expect it . A light all over my face and neck warmness is OK. I was surprised at the skin tightening feeling it gave when I first started using. When my current block gets thin, I'll pick up one of the deodorant stick types for ease of use instead of the block in a box I have now.
    I leave it on while I wash out my brush and bowl, then rinse it off. Followed by drying my face & neck and applying AS.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Never tried one. Ive thought about it, because of the non-slip characteristics. But never pulled the trigger.

Rusty blade likes this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I tried alum once and didn't care for it. It left my face feeling very tight. I haven't tried it since. I use witch hazel after my shaves.

Darkbulb and Rusty blade like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Once in a while, if I have a rough time on my lower neck, I will hit it with the alum. I don't use it on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rusty blade likes this.
  11. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

They're great for added grip when stretching your skin for a shave. They're also great for sealing up nicks and cuts. Rubbing it on your face will also quickly show you where you got irritation during the shave.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've been using it regularly since July 31, 2014. It feels good after shaving and lets me know if there are any issues.
    [​IMG]
    I almost got two years out of the first block using it every day. It slipped out of my hand and broke, so I moved on to block number 2.
    http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2016/01/alum-block.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  13. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I hate aftershave and cologne. If I feel the need, I have my alum block at the ready. It also works as an under arm deodorant.

14. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I use the Alum after every shave. I'm a beginner (little over a month now) so it helps me get feedback if I go over an area too much. When I first used it felt like fire on my skin. Now when I use it hardly stings at all. It makes my face feel cool and tight. I couldn't see shaving without it but to each his own. I use the Alum,then rinse and hit my face with the Aqua Velva.

champagneinhand, Rusty blade and RyX like this.
  15. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Haha wow you really got your use out of that one. For having it two years it's probably one of the most economic things in your den.

champagneinhand and Jayaruh like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Maybe once a week for a change of pace.

Also keep it handy if I feel I need to improve my grip for stretching my skin.

Rusty blade and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've never used one but I've been thinking of getting a styptic pencil recently. I have a recent nick that keeps opening up again every shave, and when the bleeding doesn't stop, it feels pretty embarrassing. I'd rather just treat the nick than rub an entire alum block over my face though because I don't like the tightening feeling that shaving and some aftershaves already give me.

Spyder and Rusty blade like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Instant face lift. I'm 55 and have spent a good deal of time working outside. I like to think between a good shave and the alum my appearance has improved.

19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I really only do it when I am using a new razor or have a weeper

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Exactly what he said