Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I love vintage kaywoodie, and am a dissenting voice in that I like the Drinkless system very much. I have three vintage carved, 4 hole stingers, in ball, bulldog and 1/4 bent billiard shape.

Samurai's Kaywoodie stash

2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

My newly acquired T. Christino Metamorfosi billiard with IAPSC baccy for slow smoke practice..
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai, BamaT, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

I have nothing against the drinkless either. I hate when people chop them for the sake of passing a pipe cleaner...

Very nice collection, Samurai! Here are mine...
    4-digit 1/8 bent twin paneled Apple. Pretty sharp for an 80 year old!
    [​IMG]

A streamliner...
    [​IMG]

And I'm not sure what this one is (very odd numbers. Some say 50's vintage but it has a 4 hole stinger that says "Drinkless" on it so ????) but it's the closest thing I have ever seem to a Paul Bunyan Handmade so I grabbed it!
    [​IMG]

Tonght though... It's Lakeland Dark Flake in the Ser Jacopo R1 hawkbill!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

A goal I set decades ago; Learn something new every day. This qualifies! This is something I could do in polite company. I had been putting my thumb over the chamber and giving the gurgler a couple slings to clear the condensation.
    Today I stopped by a corner store/beer stop on my travels. The very place where I first purchased Carter Hall in a 1.5 oz pouch. After enjoying several of these small packages I went big. Saved five bucks buying locally rather than ordering, waiting, and then there's shipping charges.
    I wonder how a bit of Perique would do with some ribbon-cut Virginia and Burley...

Bama Samurai, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  5. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

I'm betting it would taste like Butera Kingfisher or GLP Triple Play aka YUMMY! :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't tried either of those, yet. After enjoying several loads in my knock around Cob at 1/4 Perique & 3/4 CH I must say it's slightly sweet, plum flavors coming through very well, moisture content is fine. Very little condensation, nice gray ash, and no bite. I'll give the Perique a bit of chopping as the ribbons are longer than CH. Putting some in a jar to set, loaded a goodly pinch in my carry pouch to enjoy right now. Blending is fun!
    POTD 10212016.gif

trey06dmd, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

This is strictly my opinion, but I think I would prefer to have the strands longer, unless that perhaps hinders the blending. I like mostly flakes or broken flake. I believe the taste is deeper, by and large, and the larger pieces give a longer smoke, generally speaking. So I would think the longer strands, as bigger pieces, may give your blend a bit of the broken flake attributes. The strands may be too fine for that happen, but that's just a thought. But at the end of the day, it's your blend, enjoy it your way!

Bama Samurai, RyX and trey06dmd like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Cool, somewhat windy fall day, very nice outside! Finally the goldenrod and ragweed flowers are withering, which is helping my allergies.

Taking a break in the middle of the day. Cup of coffee, which missed the pic somehow, and McClelland Blackwoods Flake in a Chacom billiard. Nice coffee, fine pipe, my yellow lab Gunner laying beside me....a nice day!

nikonNUT, Bama Samurai, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@dbersh, good luck today in the slow pipe smoking contest. Let us know how it worked out!

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

IMG_0973.JPG

A very nice midday smoke on a beautiful day.

11. Erik Redd

Halftime pipe, Sutliff Vanilla Custard in a Falcon
    IMG_0974.JPG

The Vanilla Custard is a nice aromatic, although with a heavier casing than I typically like. My Falcons and meer are probably my best smoking pipes. The Falcons never gurgle, even on the wettest aromatics and are easy to clean.

The Aggie-Bama game took a turn for the worse in the third quarter. The Aggies are in a deep hole now.

dbersh, nikonNUT, Bobcat and 5 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I agree about the preference for flake. I like fold and stuff as a loading technique. The Carter Hall is cut fine - no piece larger than 1/4" square with some bits like coarse ground black pepper. The Perique is quite random but generally 1/16"+ wide by up to 3" long. I did consider what it might take to press it into a flake like cake. Still thinking...

I just tried that one myself. Decent flavor and I'm eyes wide open looking for a Falcon. Aros will help me in my quest to slow down and Fight the Gurgle.

nikonNUT, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I guess that could be a matter of perspective :).....
    The game may have wound up the way I wanted it to, but I was sure worn out when it was over.

14. Erik Redd

Although I was rooting for the Aggies, I have to admit Alabama outplayed them. I'll be surprised if anybody beats Bama this year.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

Gambler Gold in Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob. First time smoking a pipe, usually I go for a cigar. I have to say, definitely a different experience from my usual cigar. I definitely enjoyed it alot.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Uhh, pics or it didn't happen!
    Shaun-Dead-2004 small.gif
    Being a fan of The Cobs, I'll wait here all slack jawed anticipating photographic evidence.

nikonNUT, BamaT and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome to our little corner of The Shave Den, I'm glad you had a good first experience. There is certainly a little more technique to pipe smoking, including proper packing, lighting, smoking pace, tamping, and last but not least, cleaning the pipe! Many people begin with cobs, and I know several outside of our thread here that smoke cobs almost exclusively. Let us know if you have any questions about piping, there are a number of knowledgeable people here and we're always glad to answer questions.

18. Bama Samurai

A long day calls for strong Burley

[​IMG]

dbersh, AGHisBBS, nikonNUT and 5 others like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

H&H Chatham Manor, Neerup bent brandy.
    I haven't jarred the Chatham Manor, just left it in the plastic tub. Either the tub screw on lid is adequately sealing the tobacco, or there is a little PG in CM. it doesn't feel goopy at all, so I'm inclined to think the former is true. I do know the longer it sits in the tub, the more I like it. It has mellowed slightly, with just a bare hint of flavoring. That's my take on it. Not being very keen on aromatics generally speaking, it would have to have little flavoring for me to like it!

dbersh, AGHisBBS, Bobcat and 4 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Teams run in to a depth problem in the second half versus Bama. Six number one recruiting classes in a row for the Tide means 80% of our roster are blue chip recruits. Bama's third string would be starters at almost any other school.

BamaT, Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.