OCtober 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2016.

?

It's OCtober. Any plans for Halloween?

1. Going to sit home and hand out candy to the kiddies.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Going to lock the door, turn off the lights and ignore the kiddies.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Building a haunted house for the kiddies, but just fun, not terribly scary.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Building a haunted house for the kiddies designed to scar their psyches for life.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Building a haunted house for the Cartel members - complete with vodka.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Attending a party on our own.....who cares about the kiddies and Cartel?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. It's Oreo month you idiot! Why haven't you mentioned cookies?

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Mmmmmmmm.........Oreos.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Like a Fat Boy on 9!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

OCtober Preparation Distraction

GG's Acqua di Florida & BurmaShave Boar
    '59 Gillette #195 at 9 and a Voskhod blade
    Alum / M and L's Florida Water AS Cologne

SOTD 10232016 FB at 9.gif
    Off OC Focus, but for Important Reasons. Rotating through my soaps and today called for a better lather. I defunked a new-to-me Burma Shave boar found at a flea market. It was NIB and clean with no odor. Best yet it's already soft like well broken in. Smaller than Pro Omega brushes it performed well with my fav tallow soap. Something about hanging around TSD has put Ideas In My Head. So today I cranked the FB up to MAX. I had settled in at five for months, then upped to seven for long enough to enjoy the experience. I'm in training for an aggressive OC to arrive soon. (Thanks @Bama Samurai & @NCoxSTL !) Good lather, three passes plus couple clean up slides and the alum block was silent! Rinse and a splash of alcohol fueled AS left no burn. Am I already ready already?

Drygulch, Marverel, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

More excellent pictures and products from 2 of the Tres Amigos. :happy096: Both brushes are awesome!!!

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This shave. Was firing on all cylinders today and was the best straight shave I have ever had. I just took my time and lightened up on the pressure a little. I did three passes for an absolute BBS. I know it worked when my wife came back for a second face feel
    SOTD
    Route 66 A Perfect Gent Soap
    Culmak SM2 Bush
    Wade and Butcher 7/8 Celebrated Razor
    Alum
    Thayers WH
    PAA Deja Fougere AS
    Have a blessed Sunday![​IMG]

Drygulch, Marverel, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Categorically Yes. Once the interaction between bevel, angle of attack, and pressure is well-understood and mastered...all razors become the same.

Drygulch, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Cool Bag. They have a great logo.

And Congrats on catching with SR!

8. Bama Samurai

Do you know the mass of a 34c? Solid handle?

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. I'm still BBS

10. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I did. I like the little razor. I might just nickel plate it. Nickel plating is just too easy on stuff like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Where did you find the bag? Sounds like a great shave! I always like it when my wife gets an extra rub in!

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Timeless Stainless Steel Open Comb w/Timeless Pineapple Handle
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
    Brush: Shavemac Zebra, Honeycomb 2 Band
    Soap: Route 66 Rum Runner
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum

Another close comfortable shave today with these tools. Fine Platinum is one of my top three aftershaves.

23 10 16c.jpg

13. champagneinhand

As for enabling. I bought a Maggard 3 piece open comb this week. Thanks as if I didn't have enough acquisition disorders. Of course this forum is much more affordable than the wine, cigar and watch forums, not to mention the Jeep forum.

I also refer to my funds after paying the bills, which are immediately transferred to my wife's joint account, "my allowance!" I hate the stretch each month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Marverel, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  14. champagneinhand

So it's hard not to chuckle thinking about you guys hiking through the trails, etc with your nice shaving kits and a camera, though I do love the pictures. I have to think I should start carrying my bag,which is actually a Rubbermaid bin to expensive auto dealers, just for some fun snaps, and perhaps some very frustrated sales associates.

However, I know this to be way to financially dangerous. I didn't have a Jeep until I went scouting for small SUVs because, as a nursing clinical coordinator, my wife isn't available for such things. That was two Jeeps ago.

From now on I'll leave the big ticket items for her to scout, and just nod one way or another. Privileges of being retired.

Yep, she buys all the holiday gifts save hers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Marverel, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I don't have to go far, I live in the woods. :)

16. Rusted

Rusted Active Member

Good day ladies and gents!! Here has been my daily shave setup for the last week. Astra SP blades and Stirling soap! Blades are and soap are perfect for me!! I will need a better brush as this one was included with the stand and it's hard on the face and just pokes hard!
    IMG_0381.JPG

17. Bama Samurai

Welcome to our little discussion!

Last brush you'll buy.

These synthetic knots are the best, I use one daily and have zero desire to replace it, ever.

18. Rusted

Rusted Active Member

Thanks for the reply!! Does it require a break in period or is it soft out of the box? Forgive me if this is a stupid question!

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Should be ready to go out of the box. I have a synthetic from Stirling, and it is definitely my go to brush. I would highly recommend it as well, if you are looking around.

20. Bama Samurai

Synthetics have no break in period. They use less soap than animal fiber too. You should try one! They are soft on the face, yet have backbone to lather anything, and they can be shaken dry.