Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless (Russia)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just finished another series of 4 shaves with the Russian Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless blade. All four shaves were excellent: smooth, close, and nick free. I think the poor Russian Greenie is a much under appreciated blade. They tend to take a back seat head to head with the Russian Yellows and Indian Green Permasharps and Indian Blacks. They cost a few pennies more than the Yellows, about the same as the Indian Greens, and less than the Blacks . Still, at about $20/100 shipped, they are a very good blade. I keep some on hand...I enjoy a little variety as long as the quality is there.

As always.........YMMV.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I pulled out another Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless blade this week. I just finished my 5th close, smooth shave in my Slim set on “6”. For me, it is right up there with the Gillette Silver Blue (have 100+/-) and Gillette Platinum (have 50+/-).

As always, YMMV.

I am going to go ahead and order 100 this time: $20.69 shipped.

Yep, I like the Personna Med Preps (have 100 +/-), Polsilver SI’s, Perma-Sharp’s, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod’s, Viking Sword’s, and Israeli Red Personna’s too. I like to have some variety. I don’t use any blade that I can’t get at least 4 great shaves from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Kudos sir!. Unfortunately none of the Gillette blades and I have never had a successful relationship in the few times I have tried one. I have several five packs on hand though and will revisit them once I get my technique down as I have only been shaving with a DE since March. So far Astra, Feather, and Personna blues make my face the happiest.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I always have a couple of boxes of each. You are right on about the greens taking a back seat.

Bobcat likes this.
  5. lancelot

lancelot New Member

I can't decide if I like the green or the yellow better. I think they are similar and both are good blades.

Ron

Bobcat likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like the Russian greens, but they were under-whelming to me. Not a bad blade, but just nothing special.

Not a fan of the yellows either. I do like the rest of the varieties.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I like the feel of the 7 O'clocks, but they never give me a good shave for some reason. They don't tug or cut or anything, they feel like they're giving the best shave ever, then when I'm done it feels like I've barely shaved.

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Thanks for the input Bobcat. I was looking for a thread about Greens. I have Silver Blues that I'm gonna be using in my NEW SC. I'm currently auditioning blades for my '71 SA-109. Heard good things about the Greens, nice to have some confirmation. Going to order a couple of tucks. Beautiful Slim by the way.

Bobcat, 178-bplatoon and Demidog like this.
  9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

The yellow 7 O'Clock SharpEdge was the best blade that I've ever used alongside Feather. I tried a stainless steel green as well but it was totally different from the yellow SharpEdge in that it wasn't a very comfortable blade for me. I have to revisit this blade again but my initial impression was that it is a very middle of the road blade and there are better options at the same or lower price points.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Remember there are two types of blades that come in green boxes. One is very good and the other, so-so. I think the super stainless is the better of the two.

Bobcat and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I only use the green. I found it to be the best blade for me. I get close shaves with it, and for me is much smoother than the Silver Blue. I've never tried the Russian yellow Super Sharp but will get a pack to test. I've also not tried the Indian blades because I've heard nothing but bad about them.

Bobcat likes this.
  12. Demidog

I believe that there are two Indian blades: the lime green Permasharp Stainless and the black Super Platinum. I haven't heard much about the Permasharps but the blacks get a ton of praise everywhere, and I think they're also one of the more expensive DE blades around being at the price point of Feathers.

MarshalArtist likes this.
  13. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Perhaps not everywhere are they praised. I've seen plenty of negative about them relative to the Russian blades. YMMV.

14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have never tried the Green Super Stainless, but trying the GSB I can see that Gillette means business when delivers DE blades to the market, Astra SP is also a very good blade on par with GSB in performance and I believe is made by Gillette if I'm not wrong.

That being said I just ordered blindly a 100 pack of the Yellows Sharp Edge considering they were $13 shipped and seeing how Gillette is doing good in the DE production. Thinking of getting a 100 pack of the Green Super Stainless and Platinum, wonder if any of them will dethrone the GSB.... Astra got very close to the GSB but lacked in the smoothness department while they were just as sharp as the GSB

Demidog likes this.
  15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Last winter I did a very unscientific YMMV trail of several blades that were new to me. At that time I was a sworn card carrying member of the Astra SP Club. The blades I tried were: Gillette Super Stainless (green), Gillette Super Platinum (Yellow), Gillette Silver Blue, Derby, Shark and one other (can't remember which one...). Based on my very unscientific YMMV trial the Gillette Super Stainless (green) ranked very high. I always keep a box on hand. The only blade to beat the green in my trial was the Gillette Silver Blue. I found it to have just an ever so razor thin edge over the green. Both outstanding blades. I enjoyed reading your review. :happy088:

Demidog likes this.
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Just remembered the last one I reviewed: Merkur blades. Seems to me they ranked lowest in my blade trial. Odd because they make nice razors.

17. Demidog

I'm surprised that you found SharpEdges for that cheap. I've only ever found them for around $19. After my blade trial is over, I'm hoping to trade away my remaining Astra SPs for the SharpEdges or Voskhods unless another blade really impresses me, but that's unlikely at this point. I also found the Astra SP to be about as sharp as the Silver Blues but I actually found the GSB to be a lot less smooth than the Astras. Maybe it was just a dull blade but I've gotten much better shaves out of the Astras, although something in the blades seems to irritate my skin. If I'm remembering correctly, the SharpEdges, Feathers, and Voskhods didn't irritate my skin at all, and they also gave the best shaves ever.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Bobcat likes this.
  18. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Yes, Perma Sharp greens are not good. (There is a Russian brand called PermaSharp that is excellent however. They are not Gillette.) I like the Black Gillette Platinum coated ones, which I think are from India.

Bobcat and Demidog like this.
  19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Gillette Yellow blades are my go to for the sharpest smoothest longest lasting blade!

Demidog likes this.
  20. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Im pretty fixed on the Platinum plus blades.

Bobcat likes this.