Use vintage Avon aftershave and cologne? Me? (Yes, you!)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by gorgo2, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I have not used the MITA aftershave, only the soap. MITA is my favorite soap hands down. I love the smell. I think the Island Lime is more of a lime smell, maybe a tad sweeter, but it pairs perfectly with the MITA soap. I also use it with Stirling gin and tonic soaps. It does not tend to last that long on me but it could be that I have a bad sniffer.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just say when. I'm always up for a swap.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really like Windjammer and Island Limes. I have only either found empties or prohibitively expensive ones in the wild and I generally stay away from the bay-crap has gotten nonsensical over there with regard to traditional shaving.

I have the big blue DE and shave brush decanters. Also have the blue mail jeep.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thinking about taking a hike back to the antique mall where a bunch were like $2 a bottle. If there's something you just gotta have, let me know.

Enrico and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have respect for Avon products because they do age well. In my thrift/antique store shopping I'm actively seeking the old full bottles.
    I picked up Wild Country in the King chess piece. Good stuff to my nose. I haven't come across either Avon or OldSpice lime, but that's one I desire.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would love the island lime. If you can find a swordfish bottle, i would be interested in that too.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have bought many, many Avon aftershaves. I have stockpiled the Avon Spicy, and the Deep Woods. Good stuff..

jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recently picked up two vintage decanters of Oland. There is a difference in scent between them. I'm not sure which has turned, and if the other is still as original. Some reading has lead me to understand an ashtray scent may be due to deterioration of Jasmine in the mix.

gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I have more than a few decanters (I picked up a complete chess set, less the boaRd for $3 at a flea market.

My favorite is Ă–land, followed by Deep Woods, Bay Rum, Wild Country, Island Lime, Tai Winds. I can't do the Leather, which is funny because I use English Leather

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's as good an explanation as any. Some element goes bad; only way to know is sniff.

A bottle of good Oland, without that stink, is (to me) a simpler, maybe even cleaner and less macho powerhouse/more approachable Aramis. Some would say it's at best a ghost of Aramis. True, but in a good way. I don't come by it often anymore.

RyX likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I love Wild Country vintage, but also the modern one. Reminds me of my dad every time. I still remember the "Straight 8" racing car container that he had of it. I happily added it to my den a few years ago thanks to eBay. The fact that it was still boxed and about 3/4 full was gravy.

Troy M and RyX like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

/sigh. "You People" just made me order (last week) and take delivery of (today), a NIB Capital Building full of Leather and a NIB Maxwell full of Deep Woods. I'm gonna be smellin' niiiicceeee. :D

Troy M and RyX like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just stumbled across this thread. Very well presented. Now I've got something else to look for at the fleamarket when it opens in the Spring!

Paul Turner, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I got some Island Lime and it's great. Also picked up some Leather, very nice! Though is hard around here to pick Avon up for a reasonable price.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I mixed 60/40 Spicy with Oland and got a pretty close approximate of what came in my bottle of Old Spice Burley. Not bad at all, will mix up more in a spray bottle sometime.

RyX likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Too bad there's no mention of the Maxwell 23. Just opened with it this morning. Good to have.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What was in the Maxwell?

18. Paul Turner

Hard to say-may take time to get used to it. Bottle is green. I'd say an attempt at a Skin Bracer clone.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hmm...Deep Woods maybe.

20. Paul Turner

well, it's CALLED Maxwell 23, but I don't see another name. But then I'm a rookie with these aftershaves. Oh yeah, there IS another name, but it doesn't signify a scent....it's "Tribute".

gorgo2 likes this.