Suggestions for a restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Drygulch, Jan 18, 2017.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

@Drygulch I think your desire to preserve and use the brush is a grand idea! Good luck with the preservation!

Drygulch likes this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Come to the thread to learn about a brush restore. Stay for the picture and story of a preserved toe. It's actually a cool story, but forgive me, this was my first thought.
    IMG_5548.jpg

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Are you planning on re-knoting it or just stabilizing the handle. If you go for the re-knot there's a good chance you can get the top and bottom to separate making it easier to work with. I'd strip or sand the bottom down to wood and spray it with a similar color enamel, then buff the top out.
    Best to always use an appropriate respirator when working with these old handles there could be lead paint or asbestos in the glue or plastic. Better safe than sorry.
    Since it's an heirloom piece you may want to pick up a similar handle to practice on first. Good luck!

mrchick likes this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry...The toe thing got me to jump offsides.

The brush is kinda cool looking as is. Put it in a block of resin!

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I now need to unthink the entire concept of a mothers toe cast in resin.

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have been looking at various resins and epoxies. I am going to figure out a way to test it first on something else, but it seems like I might be able to coat the entire base in a clear epoxy. sand and profile it back to a brush handle, and then do a seal of some sort over it.

RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just a thought, since I don't think it's been mentioned. Since the paint may contain lead, if you sand it, make sure to wear a filter mask.

Drygulch likes this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a work bench in the house I use for a lot of this type of stuff. In addition to the mask, this one will be worked on outside.

Sara-s likes this.
  9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Until I saw the picture, I thought it was a toetal fabrication.

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

The suggestions of using a poly or urethane would definitely work. One thing to consider is that even a high-end 'clear' poly or urethane will add a trace amount (or more) of yellowing. Clear is never truly clear, unless you are talking about a resin.

Linuxguile and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Me, I would just leave it alone. I would find any other shave gear he owned, and a photo of him. I would make a shadow box of this stuff, with a small typed card detailing his history, put inside the shadow box. Then, I would hang it proudly.