shaving every day?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by brit, Jan 18, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

i have been shaving every 2-3 days since my teens(now almost 50).i ve sported goatees,mustaches grew the beard out(grizzly adams) many times over the years.still unable to shave every day.i used carts and know de razors.my work never required clean shaven appereance(mechanic)is this normal or is a shave a day a goal to reach?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It has to do with your tolerances, I guess. I shave daily (two passes), but I tend to use milder razors and only shave with the grain, rather than shaving against it and trying for a baby butt smooth shave.

If I shaved against the grain, I get an incredibly smooth and close shave. I also wind up with enough ingrown hairs that I can't shave for several days thereafter.

My cousin only has to shave twice a week. Some people's hair grows slower than others. If you don't have a five o'clock shadow in the afternoon, chances are you don't need to shave daily.

Redrock, Jayaruh, DesertTime and 3 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No goal. Shave whenever and as often as you want. Just enjoy your shave!

4. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

:signs011:
    Exactly!

Paul Turner and Redrock like this.
  5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I personally can't shave every day. Even just one pass WTG irritates my face with only a day's growth. Every other, and I can do a three pass, WTG, XTG, ATG...

Redrock likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And again, :signs011:

Redrock likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

thats cool,i misunderstood the 30 day focus/rule.i thought it was 30 shaves in a month with the same products instead of 30 days shaving with the same products/equipment.blond moment.any how,when i shave every 2-3 days i get a way better shave,bbs on 90% except for lower neck,hair grows in many directions and sensitive if i overdo it.dropping cart razors has made ingrown hairs and razor bumps disappear. i shave on my free time (,never before work) to make as enjoyable as possible,a ritual per say.and always strive for a bbs.i like it ,wife likes it and it justifies me spending the extra $$ on the finer products.thanks gary

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Screwtape, Herm2502, Redrock and 6 others like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Of course it is normal.

Redrock likes this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm lucky...i can have a 3 pass shave daily, and I do. I'm required to be clean shaven at work. The DE razor and all the accoutrements just made it enjoyable.

11. brit

brit in a box

i have shaves every 2 days now,using a gillette tech and voskhod blade instead of wilky blade ;noticeable difference,cleaner shave at lower neck area,less effort(pick ups) required.i may try this combination for the 30 day focus.also getting used to using just one razor instead of using a different razor every shave.

12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

When I saw shaving as a chore, I shaved every other day. Now that I enjoy it, every day. Occasionally I'll skip a Friday or Saturday, but not often. My job requires a clean face, but I work in a hole in the ground (literally), and am rarely seen (by anyone of importance).

RaZorBurn123 and brit like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I shave daily because I can and because I enjoy it. Hell when a new toy arrives in the afternoon post I'll usually do a second one pass shave at night.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hodge, Vlasta, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Redrock and brit like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Like several Gents here I have to shave everyday for work(can't have security staff looking like a yeti). I take off Saturday or a holiday. And even if there was no work I still would probably shave every day 'cause I'm enjoying it so much. That and my five o'clock shadow starts kicking in around threeish.:)

16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't have a heavy beard and used to shave every other day with caartridge razors, now I normally shave every day since the experience is more enjoyable. But sometimes I just don't feel like it and that's OK.

17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Shaving should be enjoyable. The process of whipping up a lather and applying it to your face should be pleasing. Shave as often as it's pleasurable, especially if you have no work requirement to be clean shaven every day.

The only other reason to shave is to please someone you're with.

Screwtape, Herm2502, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  18. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

The dark side wants us to eschew ties as uncomfortable and shaving a chore. Weekends or other excuse to emote our inner Homer Simpson whisper the siren's song of the slob to lure us to a cold grave mistaken for their warm eros embrace. DON'T DO IT! Do both correctly and the opposite is true. Some men shave twice a day and some can go skipping days. Holds up two photos; B. Homer Simpson and C. Cary Grant. Now, mimicking my opthamologist is A clear or B? Again, A or B?

19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Enjoy shaving as you want to shave, eventually you'll find that comfort zone.

Herm2502, brit and Redrock like this.
  20. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Although I am retired (and loving every minute of it), I generally shave every day. Every now and then I miss a day. I always do a 3-pass with BBS results, take my time, and enjoy each shave greatly. I love my gear...don't want to see it sit idle.

Screwtape, Hodge, preidy and 3 others like this.