Your all around "does it all" razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Actually, the Merkur 34c might be the best choice all around for a beginner.

2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I buy the Supply Provision Co. injector blades from Amazon. They're rebranded Personna's. I do prefer the Chick injector itself, but I haven't had any issues with the Personna other than usually giving a very slight twist, and the blade will go past center if you push the handle all the way. Not a big deal to me, considering I get a blade I prefer for less money. YMMV...

RyX, Screwtape, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just for the record, since the point was made about newbies, this was suggested as and did become my first DE.

4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

My Merkur Progress modified, called a "Mergress", is the most versatile razor I have. The regular version is wonderful for a newbie, very adjustable and can go from mild to wild.

lloydrm, battle.munky, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any good straight razor.
    But as for a safety razor, Gillette Fat Boy, or Gillette Slim Adjustable.

RyX, battle.munky, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  6. VTHippy

VTHippy New Member

For a newbie, I'd recommend the Star 3 piece over the Tech. I find it easier to get a close shave. Perhaps it's just the heavier handle. For a newbie with no commitment, I 'd suggest any of the Super Speeds. Easy to learn without loss of blood. For any newbie, I'd also give them a few of each of my favorite blades. (Dorco Prime, Astra and Voskhod). And at the risk of banishment, I'd also suggest a newbie start with canned shaving cream. Sort of like learning to drive with an automatic and then once having mastered steering and braking, move up to a stick shift.

7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I use semi regularly a 1940's style Gillette Super Speed. It is a great razor for when I don't have time or patience for a solid, traditional, wet shave. I would and have recommended this very same type razor to any Newbi. They are a durable, forgiving, maneuverable razor. And they work well on all beard types.

RyX, battle.munky, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  8. George X

George X Well-Known Member

The Merkur HD was my first DE and it's what led me down this rabbit hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky, Jim99, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I am partial to my Merkur HD because it was my first, however my favorite modern DE is the eVahs. My favorite vintage DE is the 1920s old type. I want to like my Shick and Gem SEs but using a SR is my newest disorder...If your gonna go down the rabbit hole, you might as well explore it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, battle.munky, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this and what @DaltonGang said....to make it simple ANY adjustable

RyX, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll chime in on the injector train! :transport022:

A G-type injector or I-type injector is my vote. Meets the criteria and is good for a beginner because the angle is quite easy to find. Those are excellent little razors.

RyX, battle.munky, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  12. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I agree that the Merkur 34C is a great razor to start with. The only exception is an adjustable on a low setting.

Sent via mobile - Chris

battle.munky, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'd second the I1 or I2 as a great choice. Superior in look and handling to the G IMHO and milder than the E it's a pretty faultless razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Me too

battle.munky, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think if I had to pick just one razor that was an all-around champ, it would have to be the No. 58 Aristocrat Jr.

It feels nice in the hand, has excellent knurling, weight, and has thick, highly polished nickel plating. Also shaves like a hybrid cross between a super speed and a red tip.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

One of my favorite razors, and it meets all the criteria, is the Rockwell 6S. It has the durability of SS, can be milder than a Super Speed or as efficient as a cranked up adjustable, good blade alignment so no fiddling, and blade availability is secure.

It isn't my favorite razor necessarily, but if I could only keep one, that would be it.

battle.munky, gorgo2 and lightcs1776 like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Dollar for dollar I'd take a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip.

18. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Single Ring

battle.munky and gorgo2 like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For a newbie? Really? Took mine for a ride this morning. Excellent results, but it's a razor you certainly have to have under control with near perfect technique at all times.

gorgo2 and battle.munky like this.
  20. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Aggressive but polite eh?