Silica Gel and Soap Storage

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by keith514, Jan 19, 2017.

1. keith514

keith514 Member

Thinking about soap storage and all the discussion I've been seeing lately about moisture troubles, got me wondering if anyone has experience using silica gel packs with soap storage. At first blush, it looks like a good possibility for longer term storage, especially with a larger den. Lather, rinse, let dry, toss in a packet of silica gel and seal up till next time. That should help with any remaining water in the jar. But I wonder about drying out the soap.

Anyone try this?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Silica packets go in those sealed ammo cans and survival food stores.

Priorities, man.

When you get down to it, shaving cream is, at it's most basic level, soap with extra water added to it. And people go to extensive lengths to prevent them from drying out (this usually involves screwing the lid back on).

When viewed in that light, we know that soap drys out. It's not hydroscopic. Is there a reason to accelerate that process beyond what leaving the soap out for a day with the lid off would do? I guess that would be the real question.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I wouldn't use silica gel packs on soap, who'd want them to dry up.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

No. I have more than enough soaps that have never been a problem aging.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess I figure if they are sealed up in a tub/jar etc, they will hold up just fine. Never had a problem yet, but my oldest soaps are only a few years old.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No. I do believe you're over-thinking this. :)
    Where have you been reading about soap storage and moisture troubles?
    Forgive me if I've missed it, but I don't recall any discussion here at TSD ---> http://theshaveden.com/forums/search/20553493/?q=moisture&o=date

I let my soaps dry for about 12-15 hours, put 'em in a ziplock bag, back into the rotation. Next use is about 30+ days later. Never had an issue, regardless of how old the soap is.
    While absorbing any excess moisture, I'd be concerned it would be soaking up the scent, as well; don't want that.

7. keith514

keith514 Member

Thanks for the responses, gents. Looks like the consensus is, probably not the best idea - I kind of figured as much, but was just curious, and figured may as well ask. :)

There had been discussion in other groups regarding blooming and excess water and the potential for funk if not dried adequately. For the record, I've not had any problems either. But I may give it a shot just to satisfy my own strange curiosity.

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Not for soap. I do keep them in the containers that hold all of my blades though.