Dark Side Loaner Set

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I received this very nice set of two straights and a strop from @Drygulch . Today, I had my first shave with the Cattaragus Straight. I did cut myself one time, but although blood was let, it was more of a weeper than a cut. I will try out the other razor tomorrow following @swarden43 's admonition, " pay attention, go slow, pay attention, watch what you're doin', pay attention, keep an eye on the angle, pay attention, careful of the pressure, pay attention..." drygulch03.jpg

Here was today's shave.
    sod170120.JPG [​IMG]
    Friday's
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #128
    Cattaragus Straight from @Drygulch
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    T.N. Dickinson's WH
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

The Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti Shave Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #128 synthetic brush. I did one pass with the Cattaragus Straight Razor. I followed @swarden43 's advice: " pay attention, go slow, pay attention, watch what you're doin', pay attention, keep an eye on the angle, pay attention, careful of the pressure, pay attention..." I only drew blood once, and it wasn't all that much. I did the second pass with the English Rocket I got from @Red Rider . I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with T.N. Dickinson's WH and then Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Marverel, Keithmax, RezDog and 15 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That's actually not a bad start! How did you like the process of shaving and stropping?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And it only gets better.
    Looks like your cut is around the same place I got my first one.

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy096:Welcome to the SR Path..:D

Billy..:chores016:

5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The process of shaving with a straight was very different for me. With my shoulder still healing, it helped me slow down. I am glad I only cut myself once. I thought to myself while I was stropping that this is good exercise for my shoulder. I'm taking it slow and easy.

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I was hoping to avoid any cuts, but all in all, I did very well. Finishing off with the Rocket was a good choice.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Aw...... that's just a love bite. :rofl:

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to the Dark Side. It's just a little more blade exposure than you are used to. Nothing like blood on steel to get you paying attention.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice, Jim! :happy088:
    Slow & easy is always recommended for newcomers to the SR world.
    When wrist surgery compelled me to only use my non-dominant right hand, you can bet that I certainly was 'slow & easy' for those 3+ weeks of SR shaves. ;)

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs107: Excellent, Jim! Glad you decided (either by hook or by crook) to join the dark side:) I don't know if @Drygulch muted the point on the square tip or not; but I caution you to keep a very close eye on that. I started with a square tip, and stayed with it for one solid month. If I would have started with a round tip I would have cut myself less. With that said; the worse cuts occurred when I placed the blade at a 90 degree angle on my face and applied some pressure. If you do that, you'll get a nice 3" slice in your skin:shocked003:
    Most blood, however was minimal and counted as negative reinforcement for improper technique:) The upside, is the satisfaction of a successful straight shave will surely dull the memory of any blood letting along the way.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Oh, and Adam, Very nice that because of your generosity others have been able to try straight shaving without the outlay of $$::signs001:

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Good going Jim, and Adam!

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That's a great start, Jim! I used the same loaner kit last month. It's an awesome box!

15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yes. I could hardly pass up such a gracious opportunity.

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That tip has been slightly muted. It will still dig in if you put pressure on it, but it shouldn't scratch you as you do the passes.

17. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good start and better than mine was. I learned quickly that with all the advice I have read. The one that is critical is the pay attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I love it! So glad you finally tried it and it went ok!

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, it is a pretty nice setup. I am going to give it a good try. I will be "paying attention." No second passes until I get the first pass down really good.

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Jim, are you already using alum on your fingertips for skin stretching? This was a game changer for me.