Hand made strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by markchippy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Hi guys, Got this in the post this morning so thought i would share my hand made strop with flax linnen by Alistair from Westholmes.

He makes many strops with all types of leather this is his basic one. But still great quality.

Hope you like it

Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Looks like a dandy:happy088:

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Indeed! Enjoy!

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks very nice. Congratulations.

5. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Thanks

6. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

Very nice!

7. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Hi wanted to ask guys any idea how much pressure i use on the strop with my razor.

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice!

9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Little to none.

Nice strop, btw. Congrats.

10. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Thanks so much for your advice guys and specially the video srnewb but think i put to much pressure and didnt get a great shave. Ended up with razor burns. Although the blade was popping arm hair. So not to sure what ive done wrong.

11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Razor burn is either a dull razor or too much pressure, IME.
    If your straight has a shave ready edge, it will require zero pressure. An old saying serves here. "Shave the lather, not the face", the idea being simply that a sharp straight will shave you with the lightest of touches.

12. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Thanks Srnewb this video was perfect. And explained everything i needed to learn. I definitely think i put to much pressure
    At least i won't make the same mistake again. Thanks

13. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    Happy shaving.

14. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

I really do need to get a loup to see the beval edge up close. To see if i have rounded off the edge. You could be also right on to much pressure on my face. Thinking about it. I was in a bit of a rush as my mrs was waiting to ise tye bathroom so she could goto bed.

But definitely right on pressure on the strop and on the face. Much appreciated.

15. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

I'll let you know on my next shave how it goes. I do have a cotucule on its way. So if i have rolled the edge well its back to honing.my new razor Another learning curve lol. But am so enjoying the experience. Just gets frustrating for us new guys with straight razors but practice makes perfect as they say.

16. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

This guy makes some beautiful strops he was recommended to me buy a seasoned straight razor mate of mine. The price for it was amazing. It only cost £40 for his standard strop and he doesnt use cheap leather meterials. . His words are whats the point in selling customers cheap leather and get complaints back saying the strop wasnt worth it. He does it as a hobbie. And is a plane engineer by day. Such a nice guy. And really is professional in all that he does. Ounce i get used to this and ive honed my technique i will invest in one of his top class strops he makes. Jist stunning craftsmanship.

Bjoerge Brathagen and Spyder like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Razor burn could also be too steep of an angle, especially when going against the grain. Use minimal pressure and a flatter angle. The steeper the angle, the more aggressive the cut.
    What works for me; is a steeper angle when going with the grain and a shallow angle when going against the grain.

18. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Ive compared this strop to dovo strop thats around £120 and its no way beats what i have the photos doesn't do it justice so if you guys are after a new strop check his website out you wont be disappointed. And has customers all over the world.

19. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Thanks spyder thats great advice will keep that in mind

20. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Ive been asking glen from gssixgun. And he's such a great guy to talk to. He Has gave me so much great advice . Specially knowing hes across the pond from me. I have so much respect for him and really do like his skill and craftsmanship.

Ive watched a few videos on youtube and did subscribed to one. Which i dont wamt to name names. Asked his advice and never got any answers. From him which was a disappointment. But am glad i joined this forum such a wealth of knowledge and really is some great people here.thanks so much.