Strange Problem with some Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Engblom, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Despite I have shaved with DE for many years, I have a strange problem. Some razors just gives me a delayed irritation.

Lets take an example: Recently I was PIFed two razors. Proper reviews will follow when I have more shaves done with them, but for now it is enough to say that both are mild razors: SC #102 and a Super Speed. I had no serious problem with #102. It just works and gives BBS for me. The Super Speed on the other hand is an enigma.

Yesterday I shaved for the first time with the Super Speed. I did a two pass shave (WTG & ATG) and some touch-up on the chin. When I was finished, I did not have a fully BBS face, but still very close shave. When I applied the after shave, I was thinking "Wow, that was a smooth shaver". There was no pain from applying the after shave and the face felt calm.

Later in the evening, the situation had really been changing. It was even painful to put the cheeks against the pillow. That terrible irritation I got.

Now I wonder, what is causing this problem with some razors, but not for other? I wish to figure out, so I can get all razors to work. Have you had this kind of delayed irritation?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I haven't had that exact problem, but when I had an issue before, I had to try everything. I first switched out the blade. It could be an allergic reaction to the metal or coating. Then check the soap, towel, aftershave, etc.

People can have all types of issues, but it often comes to one simple thing.

If it isn't an allergic reaction, it could be your angle. You would think there would be weepers or stinging with the aftershave if this were the case, however.

The delayed reaction leans me towards the allergy's

Engblom and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello Lars, I'm sorry to hear the Super Speed is giving you irritation. But I'm glad to hear your Shavecraft is working out.
    I have had that delayed irritation before too. I never did solve what caused it. Have you used any post shave balm? It might help to try a post shave balm. That's what I usually do.
    I'm wondering if you could be having an allergic reaction to the polish I used on it? I used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to shine it after cleaning. I cleaned both razors before sending. I hope this irritation doesn't bother you very long.
    Good luck with it.

4. Engblom

Thanks Alan,
    No, I have never tried any balm. So far I have only used after-shaves. I wonder if there is any "all natural ingredient" balm I could use? For some reason I hesitate to put a chemical soup on an irritated skin.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Morman Bridge

The only post shave balm I use is Nivea, and Proraso Blue. I don't know/can't tell whether either one of these uses natural ingredients. I'm so sorry my friend.

Engblom and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You might try some aftershave, with a hydrating agent in it, glycerin. Try a cheap experiment, with Aqua Velva aftershave. I have had similar problems, if the skin wasn't properly taken care of, after a very close shave. Any alcohol based aftershave can work, if it has a few drops of glycerin added.

7. Engblom

Sounds easy enough to be tested as I do have glycerin at home. I could very easily pour some into my aftershave and then just shake the bottle.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

Sometimes with a milder razor, we tend to press a little harder, and the irritation can occur when the hairs start to grow back. For me, the alcohol based aftershave disinfect the skin, and the glycerin will keep the skin supple, while the hair grows back out. It just works for me, over the past several years.

9. DaltonGang

A few drops per bottle. A little goes a long way.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I add about 2 drops per oz. You are right a little goes a really long way.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This. ^^^ I find that when I use a Super Speed or Krona, I tend to lose focus on the amount of pressure I am using, and can end up with a less comfortable post shave feel than if I had used an R41.

Also if you want to try a balm, Stirling makes an excellent one with natural ingredients.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I hope you get it figured out.
    oh-no.jpg

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Hello,
    It's obvious that something isn't working for you... razor, or blade, or soap, aftershave... something is giving no you that irritation. Is any thing new besides the razor? Same blade soap, everything but the razor? If so, if the Super Speed is new, was it sanitized properly before use? One of these is the culprit. Back track, find which one and dump it. You don't need that kind of grief. Anyway, just a thought. Let us know how it works out.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

You should try Trader Joe's Aloe. I find this works pretty good, especially if you want something organic.

Greg W.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Engblom

I have ordered Stirling Post Shave balm. Hopefully it will be a product working well for me. I will wait some days more before trying the Super Speed again, just to give my face additional time to heal.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Any irritation, delayed or immediate, is a sure sign that the shave is too close. I think we would do well to ease up on our quest for BBS and settle for a good shave that looks clean and saves our skin.

brit likes this.
  17. Engblom

This is not fully the true. I do get closer shave with most of the razors in my rotation than what I had with this one. For example the R41, which is one of my favorites, never gives me this kind of irritation despite the super close shave. Also, the shave I get from ShaveCraft #102 and from PAA Bakelite Slant both are closer than this particular shave that gave delayed irritation. I also have some ultra mild razors like Merkur 15C in my rotation and the mild razors have been working well too. So regardless if the shave is extra close or if it is made with a milder razor, I can do repeatable good shaves.

There is something else in this enigma. I hope to solve it. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  18. Morman Bridge

Hi Lars,
    Have you tried to re-clean the razor to remove all polish residue? Or perhaps a soak in Barbasol cleaner? I suspect you may be having a reaction to the polish I used. I'm so sorry Lars.

19. Engblom

I will take the razor through an extra cleaning before next usage. You do not need to apologize, you have just been doing good in every way :).

20. Morman Bridge

Hello Lars, how are you getting on?