January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Clint. It's probably my favorite brush. :happy088:

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Mine too followed very closely by the Simpsons LE Synthetic "Amigos"

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Timeless OC with UFO Colibri
    Polsilver Super Iridium
    Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    CRSW Juniper
    Gold Bond Green Lotion
    CRSW Juniper Aftershave
    Creed Adventus

[​IMG]

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Mark! Great reflection.

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Found the info. It's an Ubersoft II knot.

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Brian, Thanks for finding that for me!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy Anniversary January!!

January 23

Mostly Shavettes

Razor - Steam Punk New LC
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Route 66 Rum Runner
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Well, day two on the Crown DE before switching to the shavette and the first problem is.....once again.....the lather. Had to reload again between passes. But, I think I may be onto the solution. I think I'm going in with too wet of a brush. While the Semogue whipped up a lot of lather it was dissipating faster than the R66 has for me before last night and, when I rinsed the brush the final time, the lather I got out of it was very thin. Clearly too much water. So....dryer brush, longer load tomorrow. It is a lanolin soap, after all, so I'll treat it like I do Mitchell's. I think I just got a bit complacent in how easily this soap lathers and forgot a bit of brush technique. Yes, even with brushes and soap, technique trumps tools!

As for the shave, the Crown will not be a keeper for me. Second shave and it's noticeably less smooth than last night. Not a good sign. I don't think I've found a Lord blade yet that I would keep on a permanent basis, and the Crown Super Stainless won't be the first. Overall result was a two pass DFS but the alum was hotter than last night and I scored one minor nick in the process. Not a good recommendation. I'm hoping the shavette version levels out for me like all the others have. We'll find out tomorrow night!

steampunk.jpg

Linuxguile, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You didn't get nuts with the AS but demonstrated caljones using a straight on portrait day and texting the wife.
    :smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Day 4 and wrap up with Rooney heritage hair brush:

Decided to end the Rooney's turn in style with some tallow AoS and Takehana Feon blade. To give it that extra kick some vintage Derby AS.

The AoS tallow does what it always does, lots of wet, slick lather prefect for straight razor shaving. The Rooney worked great again today and the Feon has a great edge. Four passes and no blood and no irritation. The BBS didn't last enough to qualify for epic, just outstanding shave.

The brush has backbone but not too much for and I was surprised that it was an all around performer, even with a cream in the hot scuttle it splayed just enough to keep the lather hot.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

IMG_6836.jpg

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

January 24 - focus and Duke Cannon Day

Duke Cannon tea tree and menthol shampoo
    Duke Cannon Productivity (peppermint/menthol) shower soap in Duke Cannon mesh soapscrubber
    Duke Cannon shaving cream
    Gillette Black Beauty on 3
    PAL Gold Thin Hollow Ground carbon (20)
    Omega B+B Special Edition boar brush
    Alum and cold water rinse

I was feeling a bit down after being sick with some kind of stomach bug yesterday, so I decided on an early morning shower and shave to pick me up, and decided to go full Duke Cannon for that extra menthol kick. I find the shampoo and soap leave me feeling not only clean but also a bit tingly all over and just a bit more energized than before. The shave cream doesn't have any menthol in it, but does have good moisturizing and protective ingredients and complements the others well.

The Omega brush was lightly used when I got it in a lot with three other brushes from the BST on the B+B forum. It wasn't bad when I first tried it but wasn't really broken in. Thanks to a tip from @Bama Samurai on this thread, I tried speeding up the break-in period by doing a couple test lathers with it over the past week and leaving the soap to dry on it overnight each time.

Today was the first time I have used the brush since those test lathers. The result is remarkable -- it's like a totally different brush from the one I used two weeks ago. My best description for it now is "absolutely wonderful". It whipped up more lather than I needed, quickly and efficiently, and then painted it on my face in a nice even layer. The feel while face lathering was firm, with lots of backbone and very easy to control, but absolutely no scratchiness any longer from the bristles. In fact, I could hardly feel them; just the lather being smoothed on.

This brush is now definitely in the keeper pile. Tomorrow I'll see if the Kent boar has responded equally well to the test lathers. (It was NIB until I used it twice. Still very stiff and scratchy.)

The PAL blade on shave 20 was pleasantly smooth yet sharp, giving a good close shave with a couple diagonal passes. No problems and no hot spots from the alum so I didn't bother with my usual witch hazel or any balm or aftershave splash.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Keithmax, Drygulch, mrchick and 8 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the shot using the mirror. Very cool.

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 24, 2017
    Timeless OC .95 Gap
    Feather (3)
    BSB-2 with Vie-Long Two Band Fan
    Route 66 Lumberjack

[​IMG]

Another great shave this morning with 2 passes and minimal touch ups ending in a near BBS. The Lumberjack as usual was a pleasure to use with its wonderful slick lather and fantastic scent. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Keithmax, Drygulch, RyX and 8 others like this.
  13. shadowfeind

shadowfeind Active Member

Squeeze the extra water out of the brush, then load the brush for 15 seconds with medium pressure and proceed to face lather. You will have consistent lather this way.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It doesn't get much better than that amigo. :happy096:

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent setup with amazing tools amigo. :happy096:

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I am enjoying this week using the BSB2 and Lumberjack.

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD January 24, 2017

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G8 injector
    Brush: Omega Hi synthetic
    Lather: Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    Post: Witch hazel splash enhanced with Stirling Piacenza, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Began a Sweeney Todd sample today. Interesting, complex blood orange/citrus scent. Quite enjoyable. Excellent lather again by using the dry brush method. Put a little water directly on top of the soap and then begin lathering with a dry synthetic brush. That has produced some exceptional lather for the past few shaves. Great result today and nice complementing scent with Stirling Piacenza.

Have a great day!

SOTD 1-24-17.JPG

Keithmax, Screwtape, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, I hope you are having a great time with your Dad and your dear friend in Kentucky.

Drygulch, clint64, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good shot Keith. :happy096: