February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. :happy088:

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_5022.JPG

February 21 SOTD:

Omega Boar Brush
    MWF
    Merkur Futur
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Avon Leather AS

I backed off Setting Neal this morning and went all the way back to 1 just to see how big of a change there is. It is a big difference; it almost feels like a different razor. I still wouldn't call this a typical "Mild" razor, but it isn't near as aggressive as on Setting Neal. My cuts healed up a bit, still needing care, but I was able to shave them a bit. I would actually call this a DFS after two passes. In fact, I was near BBS if it wasn't for the areas surrounding my cut. I don't know that this razor isn't much more efficient at 1 than Neal. I'll play around with it a bit for the rest of month to find out. I hope everyone has a great day!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you think the Alum is irritating your face, leave it out of the routine for a few days. I know many use it daily but many don't use it at all or when they have nicks.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful colors, Jim. I have enjoyed reading your posts and following along with your adventures with the Futur.

5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Feb 21 - Voskhod Day 4

Merkur 34c HD
    Voskhod Teflon Day 4
    Preshave AOS Unscented
    TOBS - Sandalwood
    Alum
    AOS PSB - Sandalwood
    The Voskhod did so well yesterday that I had to give it another go. Day 4 on the blade was another good shave. DFS+ I would think and not because the blade could not get BBS. I stopped touching up was the reason for not attaining BBS. There are some spots that feel like 800 grit. they are nicely cut but not BBS. TOBS -Sandalwood cream is so easy to get a fine lather. If I had never tried Stirling, I would think it is fabulous and it is a great soap. It has nice cushion but it doesn't offer as much glide as Stirling. I miss the glide. TOBS is much easier to get a good lather as compared to Stirling. I am more confident with the extra glide. the sound of the shave is quieter as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Stirling also extends the blade's life.

3 Pass: WITG, XTG and ATG. Even did the chin ATG. Seems it can be done with the Voskhod even on the 4th use of this blade. I am feeling the blade acting different but some of that is the soap and some I am sure is due to amount of use. I definitely put the Voskhod high on my list.

As for irritation, I was paying closer attention after each pass of the lather and all the steps. I did not notice any irritation until I put the Alum on. That turned my face beet red. Might need to skip the alum and just use the PSB.

Will I have issues if I skip alum and just use the PSB? Right now, I tend to be using the AOS but I also have Nivea and Bulgari (cologne PSB). Should I switch to a witch hazel? Does the PSB have enough astringent already that using the alum/witch hazel is overkill?

Best part, my daughter commented she liked the scent and the shave. No better way to start the day....

Ohh, one more thing, Etsy brush comes in today!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD February 21, 2017

Blade: Kai Captain Mild
    Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
    Brush: Jayaruh boar
    Lather: Strop Shoppe Baker Street
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Stirling Baker Street aftershave with menthol
    WTG, touch-up

Enjoyable shave this morning! The Strop Shoppe lathered up easily with the Jayaruh boar and created a nice, protective layer. The Black Hawk is a fun razor and one pass with minimal touch-up was all I needed. Stirling's Baker Street with added menthol finished it off. Nice shave.

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-21-17.JPG

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

21 February 2017 Blade/Focus Shave
    Since yesterday was an off day for me it was my me-time shave. Therefore I did not partake in Menthol Monday. Today was a different story. I got the Proraso Green Cream(tube) out. I gave the 10098 the day off and used my Omega 6212 Silvertip. Got a great smelling slick lather and the weekday stubble fell to the Parker 99r/7 o'clock Green combo. Finished up with an icy cold towel and Proraso Green A/S. Looking good and smelling better, it was out the door to work. Have a great day!

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@Fly2High, I gotta ask. Are you trying to put a picture in your post? There is a mile of space between the title and the body. Haven't seen that before. On the shave, it sounds like you're settling in nicely. As far as alum goes, in my case I get stinging if I've goofed and gone over an area twice when once would have been enough. Never got any redness. Cut out the alum if it's bothersome. You can always come back to it. Those Voskies are great aren't they? I use 'em in my SA-109. Good luck with your new brush.

9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

nope. Just saw some other indent their shave setup and was following suite.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No lack of hot water at ny Mom's house this morning, so it was a pleasant shave.. The Rise Super Foam doesn't mask the TSD Russian Leather A.S.,, and I like that. Next couple days might break records for warm temps in Feb. here. My other TSD AS(Sub Zero)should be good for that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You do not have to use Alum at all. In fact many including myself don't use it or use it very infrequently. I do use drug store brand witch hazel each day. I can say that growing up and watching my dad, he used neither alum or witch hazel but just splashed some cheap aftershave

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Feb 21, 2017

'52 Canadian Tech w Polsilver (1)
    Soap Commander Endurance
    TGN Boar w Maple Handle
    Thayers Unscented

image.jpg

Day 7 of the humble Tech focus. Day one of the Polsilver. Nice, 3 pass DFS this morning. No weepers, and a smooth shave. Great lather and scent from the Soap Commander. A little redness on my neck, but it didn't last. A splash of Thayers, and I'm off to shovel the driveway again. At least it is right around freezing and not nearly as cold as it has been.
    Have a great day all!

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Pure class. Two unicorns.

14. PickledNorthern

In my experience, if you give Stirling the water it needs, it is as slick as anything I have ever used. It is a super thirsty soap, maybe the thirstiest I have ever used. The good thing is that it is really tough to break the lather. It just gets runny, but doesn't pull a disappearing act on you.

15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Supply Provision Custom 2 dot head
    Blade: Chick
    Brush: RazoRock Tri-color
    Soap: Beaver Woodwright Blackbeard
    Post Care: Thayers Witch Hazel
    Osage Rub
    Alum
    Aftershave: Uncle Jon's Silk Road

What a great shave I had this morning. This was my first try of a Beaver Woodwright soap; it lathered easily, nice slickness, great protection with a pleasant scent. The bay rum was subtle but the lime was a nice scent.

The Supply Provision Custom has cured my RAD, it is perfect. Short of adding some texture to the handle there isn't a thing I would change. If you tried the bunny from @twhite this is as close to it as I've found. Until the bunny is released this will suffice. I need to try some cut down blades in this, see if they are better than the Chick. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I couldn't agree more. Stirling is slick even when soupy. I should know, When I first used it(what a week or so ago ) I waaaay over did the water and it went on like chicken soup but gave a fantastic shave. It really is for me the definition of extreme glide. TOBS, just doesn't have that. It is good but Stirling is excellent in the glide Dept.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm on page 87, so have a lot of catch up reading to do. Anyone want to give me a summary?

Sunday's shave was my first time using a Torrey straight. Three and a half passes, and a great shave. Finished up my sample of Soap Commander. Got 8 shaves out of .65 oz of soap, loading the brush like crazy and blooming the soap. It's going to take forever to get through my other ones.
    IMG_5743.jpg

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jared. :happy088:

19. PickledNorthern

Soap Commander lasts forever.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Search terms; Futur, setting Neal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.