Brush Rotation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by COMPNOR, Feb 21, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Preface: I tried searching but didn't really find anything already on it. So if this is a repeat I apologize. But...

What is your brush rotation? Do you use multiple brushes? Based on mood? Based on if you are using a soap or cream? Do you rotate to give your brushes a break and promote longevity?

i'm sure it is all of the above, or some of the above and like everything else that goes with shaving is up to you. But I'd like to know what everyone does.

Thanks,

Bobcat, RyX, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Brush rotation, yes. Depends mostly on mood......

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I try to stay with one brush for a week. The operative word is try. :)

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I only have 4 brushes. I use them as the mood strikes me. My current favorite is. Whipped Dog Silvertip (24 mm knot, 57 mm height), large handle, very big, very soft. I also have a WD Silvertip that has the knot set deeper, a smaller handle and has more backbone. Then there's a StrongSet I restored with a WD badger (detecting a preference?), a but "scritchy". Finally I have a Maggard synthetic knot in a handle I made from a piece from a craft store, tall brush, fairly soft. Love 'em all, for different reasons.

HERM

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I rotate through my favorite Jayaruh Brushes. I use one for a week and then choose another. I haven't used a store bought brush is years.

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have 18 brushes. Next one up in rotation gets used. Different brush every day.

Bobcat and RyX like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Brushes are the only aspect of shaving where I have a rotation. Every once in a while I pick one based on a mood, but otherwise the cycle is pretty much set.

RyX likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have 5 brushes and I like to let them dry between use. At one point I used the same Semogue 2000 daily for the better part of a year until the knot fell apart.

All my brushes are similar so it is not a mood based thing. I know what I like and would like to keep them as long as possible.

Col C and Herm2502 like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Depends upon my mood, soap or croaps or cream and what haven't been used in a while.

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Herm2502

Best system out there!

HERM

RyX likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Only Jayaruh brushes? Are you biased? :)

HERM

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have had a rotation up to the past week or so. Wolf Whiskers Silvertip, Semogue 620, Omega 10066. Once in awhile I'd slip in the Omega Pro 48 or Vie Long 12601. Now with the JR46 that will change things. I never acquired Brush Acquisition Disorder and don't think I will, but having a synthetic in the mix has been interesting and has me a bit more curious about all of them.

RyX likes this.
  13. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

I only have 5 brushes so each gets used once a week. The favorite ones get used more than once a week. There are weeks that I used just one from every day simply because I'm enjoying it.

RyX, PanChango and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have 6 brushes and I rotate them in the order in which I purchased them. It sounds goofy, but it works for me.

RyX, PanChango and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I guess I am. I have probably a half dozen or so store bought brushes, and they are fine brushes. I just like using mine. Not only do I make shaving brushes, I shave with the ones I make.

Herm2502, Jarvis, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I rotate mine according to mood, soap, and to match the coloring of my daily setup sometimes.

Brushes: Stirling soap synthetic "kong", L&L grooming synthetic dark blue and silver, L & L grooming black tuxedo swirl handle with synthetic knot, Wolf Whisker's rce #15 synthetic with black tuxedo knot, Wolf Whisker's blue swirl (old style) with black tuxedo synthetic knot, Wolf Whiskers copper swirl handle with finest badger knot, Wolf Whiskers green and blue swirl handle with synthetic knot, wolf whiskers grey and golden swirl silvertip badger, wolf whiskers maroon and cream swirl synthetic, wolf whiskers turquoise and copper swirl synthetic, wolf whiskers synthetic brush in green and white swirls, wolf whiskers one of a kind non-marked mocha Joe colorway synthetic brush, Jayaruh hand-turned wooden handle (#110) with badger knot, custom turned handle with game changer knot, L.A. shaving company travel synthetic.

It looks like I need to sell a few.

Herm2502, NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have 9 brushes. I generally rotate through 5 of them: one horse hair, 2 boar, one synthetic and one badger. The 2 boar brushes get the most use. I want the brush to dry out between uses. There is no set rotation - I choose based on which one I didn't use last time and which one feels right for that day.

NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  18. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I only have 2 brushes, but come to think of it, I do rotate them quite a bit. My selection though depends on the soap I'm using. I use the softer synthetic brush when I use creams and a boar brush when I use soaps. The boar has that extra backbone so I like to use it with the harder soaps because I lather pretty aggressively with them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    JohnnyTex and NCoxSTL like this.
  19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So for all you moody people, do you have a Happy brush, a Sad Brush, an Angry brush, and the I want to slap someone with a large Tuna brush?

Well if you're looking to unload, I might be interested.

So what defines your cycle?

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

What is your brush rotation?
    No strict order, but hardly ever the same brush twice.

Do you use multiple brushes?
    In one shave? No. But I do use several different ones.
    Two boar, two synthetic, three badger.

Based on mood?

Yes, see next answer.

Based on if you are using a soap or cream?
    Depending on the soap;
    Hard soaps mostly boar, sometimes synthetic.
    Soft soaps anything goes.
    Creams mostly badger, sometime synthetic.

Do you rotate to give your brushes a break and promote longevity?
    No, but I use a variety of soaps, so they get at least a couple days rest.