February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint! Have a great day, my friend!

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is in my top three, and has been for a long time.

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Feb 22 - Opps, Voskhod Day 5; Demise of The Phoenix

Razor: Merkur 34C HD
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon Day 5
    Brush: Now Known as The Phoenix by JosephsLathe(Etsy)

PSO : AOS Unscented
    Soap: Stirling Piacenza
    PSB: Nivea Sensitive PSB
    I was so excited to use the new brush that I forgot to change the blade. Awe well. the blade really did not show any signs of pulling so I went with it. Soaked the brush in luke warm water and gave it a good shake out. It was damp but I didn't feel it was wet. Boy was I wrong. I ran the brush for 20-30 seconds in the Stirling Piacenza. How ironic on a day I am in a rush, I pick Piacenza (Patience in Italian). The brush looked like it was dipped in white paint for about 1/4".

Added some water to the bowl and proceeded to create a lather. This time was different. I really did not know this brush. As I whipped up the lather, it seemed that there wasn't much foam in the bowl. I continued to add water and it did get nice and foamy and shiny but the quantity wasn't there as before. What had happened? I decided to squeeze the brush into the bowl and see if it was hiding in the brush. Well, what came out was a TON of water. Joe uses a Virginia Sheng Silvertip in this brush and boy it looked like someone turned on the faucet! Of course, what lather I had was now washed out. I added more soap to the brush but this time, I noticed a clicking sound.

During lathering, the sound persisted. Lather wasn't up to my usual standards but it worked well. I decided to go super light on the razor. I mean, I barely let it do anything but glide. I made it a point to apply no pressure whatsoever. The razor just slid on my face as if it was a new Derby blade. Smooth as a baby's butt, it rode over my face. 3 Passes as usual, WTG, XTG and ATG and I had a DFS. I forgo the touchups today. I decide to squeeze out whatever lather made still be hiding in the brush when "POP", the knot comes out. It appears to me, the knot had loosened and released from its anchor. Now to decide what I will do.

The brush, even though it released from the handle, was nice and soft and even though it was only set 6mm into the handle (as told by the artist, not measured yet), it had wonderful spine. Now to decide how to have my brush rise from the ashes. I am thinking of using E6000 glue but we will see. there was barely any glue in the brush so that appears to be the culprit. It was a beautiful brush but now will have the next day or two, at least, to sit on the sidelines to dry out in order to be born again.

I am very impressed with the Voskhod blades. Here on day 5, it was still able to give a great shave and it felt still better than other blades with far less time on them. As for a frugal vote, these definitely will be high on the long term use list. 5 days and I feel the blade is still not yet completed its lifespan. Unless something better comes along, these are MY blades of choice.

The cold water rinse also indicated a low irritation shave. I decided to only apply alum to the right side of my face and use Nivea Sensitive PSB instead of my AOS. The Alum tingled but no stinging was found. Nivea went on without a hitch either. Based on this, for as much as I thought I was going light, I still had room for improvement and for these blades, a deft and feather light touch is required. After today, this skill is in my wheelhouse. Not sure what tomorrow will bring and whether I will seek a 6th day on the Voskhods or not. With how they felt today, there is little reason not to. Might as well get my money's worth out of a great blade.

thePhoenix2.jpg

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Sure, I am willing test it against my Italian scrub brush. I am up to the challenge. Send it my way...

SharptoothC, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD February 22, 2017

Blade: Kai Captain Mild
    Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: D.R. Harris Marlborough
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Fine Platinum, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Pretty nice shave although the D.R. Harris was a little drying. Easy and bountiful lather though with pretty good protection and slickness. The Black Hawk is a fun razor and provides close shaves for me.

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-22-17.JPG

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Cool photo, Jim! The Fatboy and La Toja are a great combo!

7. PickledNorthern

If I were you? I would use silicone. That is a beautiful handle, and one you might decide, down the road, you want to put a different knot into. I have a bunch of brushes with silicone set knots. I have never had one come loose, but I know I can easily get them out if I want to.

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

22 February 2017 Not Really Hump Daaay Blade/Focus Shave
    Well, my day started off really well before I even got near my den. I hit in the raffle! I chose the Gillette Travel Razor. It's comin' from Japan of all places. On to the shave.
    Today was Trumper Limes. The 10098 was back on duty and whipped up a great lather that smelled, well limey! The Green did it's thing and delievered a two and a half pass WWS. Splashed on some Canoe and headed into work. It's gonna be a good day!

9. PickledNorthern

That's a great little razor. The Techs do a nice job.

10. RetLEO-07

John, glad to hear you were finally able to get into CHOP. It's a great hospital. My wife's cousin is an OR nurse there. Prayers out to your daughter and your family. Hang in there!

11. RetLEO-07

Thanks Jared. I was wondering what razor that was. I didn't want to do too much research for fear of jinxing myself. I had my eye on it from the start. I was really surprised it lasted as deep into the raffle as it did. Must've been fate.

12. wristwatchb

Congrats Jim! Enjoy your day!

13. RetLEO-07

I'm constantly impressed by your photo skills! :smiley respect:

14. RetLEO-07

Thanks Charlie!

15. RetLEO-07

Sorry to hear about your brush. But on the blade front, those Voskie's are great ain't they? I typically get six days out of 'em with just a slight drop off the last two days. Then it's off to the blade bank. All hail the Rodina!

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Like a lot of other folks, I use silicone in mine. You can get it out again in the future if you want to, but it will hold nicely for day to day use. One other thing, it was probably a typo, but I can't imagine your knot was set 6mm into your handle. If it was, you may want to drill it out. I'm no expert, but most silvertips seem to be set at least 12-14mm in.

17. jtspartan

Feb 22, 2017

'52 Canadian Tech w Polsilver SI (2)
    Stirling Gentleman
    TGN Finest Fan/ Maple Handle
    Thayers Unscented
    Stirling Gentleman Balm
    image.jpg
    Day 8 of the humble Tech focus. Day 2 of Polsilver. Another nice 3 pass shave this morning. Guess I am really starting to get comfortable with this Tech. The Stirling Gentleman is becoming one of my favourite scents and face-lathered a nice, slick lather. 2 great days with the Polsilver so far. Put the balm on because I wanted a little more of the great scent.
    Have a great day all!

18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That is what I was expecting as well. I emailed the maker and that is what he replied with. Maybe he really did not know.

Also because he got the knot vendor incorrect, it also questions his answer for depth. From what I see though, the plug on the bottom of the knot is completely hidden inside the handle and that looks to be at least 5 mm or so. I will measure and see.

I understand most like a good backbone feel and from the first use, this knot has excellent backbone, to me. It also is wonderfully silky in feel so I may just leave it as is.

Jared and Jason,
    Is it just the usual tub caulking that is used to glue in the knot or some other kind of silicone? I think I have a tube of clear DAP laying around I might use if this is the case.

19. jtspartan

I use the 100% silicone for bathrooms.

20. wristwatchb

1.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.