February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

DAP is a trade name for silicone caulk. Should work fine!

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie. This combo was fantastic this morning!

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm also using silicone to secure my knots. I agree with you about drilling out the depth, of course it depends on the loft of the knot and the users personal preference. IMO.

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Not having had much experience with brushes, what I think I may do is measure the depth of this handle and then set the knot in it and see how it is. On its maiden use, it felt great. It had better backbone than the AOS Pure Badger brushes and yet was nice and soft on the cheeks while lathering.

What kind of attributes would a knot exhibit if it is too shallow?
    My thinking is it will hold water and lather and might not desire to give them up. Also would expect the backbone to be soft and floppy.
    Is this true? Any others?

If it was set too deep would it hold less lather and be stiff?

I have a strange feeling the depth is greater than what was reported. Will find out later.

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I think those are all good questions. You may want to PM @clint64 he knows very much about this sort of thing.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've only set one knot, but used this product.
    E. silicone.gif
    I think it's Jim @Jayaruh approved. Adam @Drygulch tried latex bathtub type caulk, but found being tucked under the knot it would not dry.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Is the GE silicone holding the knot well? I've only used DAP, and it has worked very well.

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very nice shave today with one of my oldest razors. I managed a nice ATG pass with no issues.
    Stubble Trouble Pirate Cowboy Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Millikin Stub Tail Razor
    Alum
    Lucky Tiger
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber AS
    Happy Wednesday![​IMG]

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup Brian.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Doug.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 22, 2017
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Pro Super (11)
    Rubberset 400 #3 with WSP HWM
    Route 66 Rum Runner
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

Another mad rush this morning to make it to physical therapy on time. A very nice 2 pass shave. While not as close as usual it is more than good enough for today. I finished off the shave with a splash of Fine Fresh Vetiver and thought I was ready for the day. Turned off the bathroom lights and started to walk through the bedroom in the dark. I tripped on my dog and narrowly avoided falling. I did wrench my back a little. Some heavy duty cupping and dry needling seems to have stopped the pain. Now back to the regularly scheduled tax returns.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you were pleased with it, I would use silicon and set it back at the same depth. Down the road your preferences in brushes or brush attributes might change so silicon will be easier to deal with.

Most badger brushes fall somewhere close to 1:2 finished loft. Measure the diameter of the knot where it exits the handle and the loft being the height of the knot above the handle. For instance most 24mm knots will have a finished loft somewhere close to 48mm or a little taller. Again this is just a general rule and used only for an initial setting that you can change to your liking.

13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thanks Clint. Will do. thanks for those details. Will measure and find out.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Again they were just general guide lines. Many will go a little taller for less backbone. As you surmised going much shorter can cause issues. I never really worry about 1-2mm one way or the other. Good luck with your project. It can open up another whole hobby of restoring or making brushes.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I misspoke, I've set two knots with that product. An APShaveCo & a Whipped Dog knot. Both are in smooth aluminum ferrules and show no sign of letting go. I chose the GE brand for the small tube size to avoid that dried up unused product problem, and the label suggests it's a long term mold, bacteria, and fungus free bond.
    Being flexible should I choose to change knots it ought to pull out with out damage to either knot or ferrule.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I believe it's safe to say you'll see that one again in the future.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Another convert to the Cartel. Well done, comrade, well done. :happy036:It's HAPPY DANCE time!

boulat_moukhametov_06.jpg

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent photograph Clint. How your back is okay. :happy088:

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Amigo. The back is better than I would have thought. The real test will be in the morning.

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Make sure what you are using is 100% silicone, not just clear caulking compound. Silicone caulking compound does not fully cure, so it can be flexible. That works well in a bathroom wall, but not so well in a brush. I shook the water out a brush I set with the compound, after weeks of using it, and the knot came flying out. The caulking wasn't cured except around the edges. It was a mess to clean up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.