February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jared. :happy088: My grand daughter laughs every time I put in a smile or a thumbs up.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Charlie. I appreciate it.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That is cute. Give her one for me.

SharptoothC, RyX, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy097:

5. Keithmax

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's not my fault there are 60 beds in here calling my name for a nap. I'll chase you later when I wake up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

SharptoothC, RyX, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Keith. :happy088:

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I measured the brush and the knot was set only 7mm deep. It is a 20mm knot and 58mm loft. I am going to get a Forstner bit and drill it to 10-12mm deep.

The knot has what can only be described as a raised central cone or hard spot above the bottom plug. It is not visible from the side but it can easily be felt. I think this feature is giving the knot not only its bulb shape but also helping to increase backbone. Ever see this before?

From what I see, the hair is raised to get the shape and not trimmed. All the white tips are about the same length.

9. PickledNorthern

It is called the "glue bump", and pretty much all knots have them to one degree or another.

The bristles would be trimmed on the bottoms not the tips. At least on a decent knot.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic answer. The distance from the top of the glue bump to the tips is referred to as the "free loft".

11. PickledNorthern

This ^^^.

So keep in mind when you set your depth, the free loft is something you want to keep in mind. When you think about a 2:1 ratio, keep that glue bump in the back of your head. Especially with a small knot like 20mm, if you sink it too deep, you won't have a lot of brush left to play with.

If it was my brush, I would go 40mm from the top of the glue bump.

12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

The knot to bottom of the plug is 65mm. If I leave what you suggest above the glue bump, that puts me about 12-14mm deep. I have about 46mm of free loft.

Thanks

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Considering the stories you have shared so far, please be aware that I will be maintaining a safe tailing distance to give me enough room to run should you spot me while I stalk you through the Canadian woods.

14. Keithmax

Day 3 Shavemac Silver Tip:

Today is a cream day, AoS and is a good match for this soft brush. Joining the part is my smiling Drew Dick 5/8 straight razor. Lot's of thick creamy lather, I had to keep adding water to keep it wet enough. This razor is the thinnest grind of all my straights and also the loudest of all my razors. While I like the smile the grind is so thin I am also worried about the blade flexing, it has a very different feeling from my other straights.

Four passes and no blood and since I had some extra time and lots of extra lather I added a half pass WTG. This razor is fresh of a touch up on a Naniwa 12k / Shapton glass 16k and is sporting a very sharp edge. I do not know how to rate the smoothness as I am always worried about the thin blade flexing. Zero blood and zero irritation but just short of Dolphin smooth.

Irritation A+ Closeness A- Smoothness A? Sharpness A+
    IMG_8675.jpg

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Simpson Commodore X-3 Best
    Savonniere Du Moulon Tempete
    Asylum Evolution razor
    Feather HS #1
    Folsom Shambala

[​IMG]

Drygulch, wristwatchb, PLAla and 12 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Value Focused February
    Day Twenty-Two

IMG_1261.JPG

Parker and Derby y'all! Two quick passes with the La Toja for a DFS. Derby is adequate, but noticeably less sharp than Cartel stuff. Still working on Mayhem planning. And for @Fly2High - @ob1page has the best PIF ever going, right now. See if you can find it. Other than that... all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Thursday!
    :)

Drygulch, wristwatchb, PLAla and 12 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fatboy February!!!!!

Still playing around.

February 22
    Razor - Delta Echo Steampunk Gillette New LC
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Well since the Delta Echo is loaded up with a German Wilkie I decided to stick with it for another day or two. Hate to waste a good German blade. And, I haven't given the JR46 a shot at Tabac yet, nor Arko. So, tonight is Tabac, tomorrow will be the Arko stick for the full face lather with no pre-load.

I thought I had found a problem tonight as the lather went on rather sticky and dry. I dipped the brush and then loaded off of the Tabac. Seemed about right but it was dry. I dipped the loaded brush in a little bit of water and it was better, but the first pass was still a bit sticky and dry. I went ahead before the second pass and dipped the brush a bit more and let it sit just a few seconds in the water, went to the face to lather and WHAMMO!! There it was. The Tabac came alive and was slick and thick. Wow. Just gotta get the water right and this brush seems to do it all. Second pass was awesome. The first hadn't been horrible, just dry lather. This one was the bomb. I hesitate to say I caught the baby but....I'm still feeling to make sure.....the baby is in the room. The New LC seems to love the Wilkinson. Alum was just a touch hot in a few places on my neck but nothing to worry about. Hit just a touch of Tabac Cologne to give the wife a treat and that's another fine shave in the books.

Feb 22.jpg

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Working on MAYhem already? Yeah, that's ok, me too. Gotta figure out March Madness without going totally off the rails with May just two months away. The pressure is rising!

19. Bama Samurai

Wow. I must be more tired than I realize. Not editing it. You caught it!

20. Bama Samurai

Do you scythe stroke with the curved blades?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.