Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I don't collect pocket knives...sheesh...don't get me started down that road! Ever since I was a kid a good Swiss Army Knife has been standard issue for me.

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You cannot beat them for the ultimate tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and Rusty blade like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:D

Drygulch, PickledNorthern and twhite like this.
  5. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Always carry a knife and use it almost daily. Envelopes, shipping boxes, manicures, and everything else is can be used for. Right now it's a Redhead folding hunting knife. I replace them about once a year. I don't like blades with serations on them though but I have a few. I also keep a spare in the globe box just in case.

RetLEO-07, PickledNorthern and twhite like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gibbs' rule #9- "Never go anywhere without a knife."

7. swarden43

A 1970 Case 6318HP
    20161229_121648.jpg

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Oh. That there is really nice. Looks to be in pristine shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and swarden43 like this.
  9. swarden43

Thanks. Picked it up at a knife show in Easton, PA two years ago.

10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

HolyRollah,
    A knife is just a tool. No different than a pen or flashlight- 2 other tools that many folks regularly carry.
    I usually have a knife and a pen on my person, and a light and portable radio readily available. Kind of a tradition passed down to me by my Dad and his brother. Countless times, someone has need of a knife to cut or fix something, and they always know I have something that can help.

I have a funny story. I have 4 children (all grown) and 2 in-law children. A number of years ago, I was giving flashlights (good ones) for Christmas presents to all. As the evening drew on, we are sitting around enjoying each others company and listening to Christmas music - and we hear a pop!
    All the LIGHTS go out. The electric power is out.

My oldest daughter accuses me of staging the event, but when the electric company comes out, they see that a line transformer blew.
    Those lanterns and flashlights allowed us to enjoy the evening with little to no inconvenience. The radio provided a welcome return to the festivities.
    You just never know when a tool will come in real handy.

Kind of like seatbelts in a car. Many will never experience the need of these tools, but in the event that they are needed, they are indispensable.

sol92258, Sara-s, swarden43 and 3 others like this.
  11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Swarden - that is a very nice knife!

swarden43 likes this.
  12. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

I carry a Swiss Army, knife for opening packages, tooth pick after certain foods, and bottle opener for adult liquids.

RyX and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  13. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Speaking of never not having a knife on me, I wasn't allowed in a museum last weekend due to having my knife on me. It's like second nature and I forgot about it. I was able to get into other museums with it. The museums weren't a planned trip. We were wasting time before a Caps game and decided to walk around DC a little. I planned on putting the knife in my car before the game since I knew they weren't allowed in Verizon Center.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RyX and twhite like this.
  14. swarden43

Thank you. :)

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am flying a lot these days, which means that I can't take a knife in my carry-on baggage or in my pocket. You won't believe how often I have missed a simple pocket knife in the past few months.

Of course I have a SAK in my hold luggage. But I don't wear that on me while abroad, because I certainly will forget one time to take that out of my pocket before handing in my hold luggage.

16. swarden43

Totin' this little Queen today
    20170223_103222.jpg

gorgo2, Edsland and twhite like this.
  17. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I can't sort out how to load photos. My current and only carry is also my oldest knife. I was 'ordered' to buy a knife in the USCG. Jimmy Carter was in office and the military budget ( not to mention vetoed pay increases) was non existent. I walked into a Chandlers and for $2 acquired a surplus british rigging knife; black bakelite grips, sheepsfoot blade,marlinespike/hoofpick, can/bottle opener. Next inspection everyone produced various huge bowies and I held up this pocket folder. I braided 1/4" manila small stuff for a lanyard and nylon quick access sheath on my survival belt to carry it open. The blade was, and still is ( depending on the weather) a PITA to force open. It did yoeman service on several rescues and post service cut a lady out of her seat/shoulder belt on the infamous 405 freeway with gas pouring out of her Ford Exploder. I was the only civilian on scene with a knife! I took it on my one trip to the U.K. well before the 9/11 regulations. This rather 'excitable' young customs officer pounced on it as the senior officer rolled his eyes. He lectured my knife was classic legal carry and for HIS generation obligatory carry. He found out I was ex USCG which led to introductions to his brother in the RNLI , training cruise and honourary membership. MY San Francisco of the 1970s early 80s was Not PC. I carried knives daily and the old SF reputation for accepting everybody also had a social code of MYOB . I can only say the gentrification and local LEO culture destroying the old cosmopolitan class is to blame. This same knife became my daily carry working with livestock. Many sailors became cowboys and several ballads are old reworded sea chanties and slang carried over ( La riata used to be called your 'whale line' and NO real western horseman used the term lasso. Your saddle was 'the hurricane deck' on a bronco.)
    I've owned many of the excellent knives shown; now lost,stolen gifted, sold and traded.) My oldest, least expensive and ugliest is my most treasured.

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I hope you can figure out how to post pictures. I know everybody would like to see it.

Thank you for your service.
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swarden43 likes this.
  19. swarden43

Ditto!!!

20. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member