Shampoo Bar Recommendations, Please

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by dustmite, Feb 23, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

After using more natural shaving products, I've noticed a definite improvement in my skin, which lead me to switch to more natural soap. I have had problems with my scalp for as long as I can remember, so I recently started researching shampoo bars to see if they can help. The problem is, there are so many available I don't know where to start. So, I figured I'd turn to my most trusted source of information, TSD! I have dry scalp with flakes, and oily hair. I hesitate to say dandruff because it seems highly likely that my problem stems from the detergents based on the information I've found. My criteria for choices is pretty simple, I'd like something readily available, with sample sizes so I can try a few without being stuck with a large bar of something I hate, and I'm looking for value. It doesn't mean the cheapest I can find, but I would like a quality product that lasts a decent amount of time and isn't going to break the bank. Thanks for any help.

2. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I'm also interested. As is, I've been using Head & Shoulders for years, due to dandruff.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have only tried 2 shampoo bars, one was R. J. Liggetts or something like that, can be found in health food stores. It dried my scalp out terribly. The other one is Damn Handsome Grooming CO. shampoo bar from Maggards, this one has a spicy scent and is not bad. Last week I went to a local beauty supply store and picked up a bar of black African soap it looks a bit strange like a block of shea butter. Have been using it as a body soap and shampoo and wish I had discovered it sooner. Amazon sells it as well. They come in several scents: lavender, lemongrass, and mango. Went with the mango scent and it is very moisturizing, I believe it is made with pot ash since there is no steric acid in the ingredients but this soap has blown me away. Even helped clear up my eczema and dry skin. The bar is a bit soft so you might want to not keep it in the shower, or use a soap saver, but the bar is a nice size and I think it was around $4 or so. Highly recommended for anyone but especially for people with skin issues.

Here is a link to give you an idea of what it looks like. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058NANJC/?tag=thshde-20

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Unfortunately my favorite Queen Charoltte Soaps is shutting down. I also like Mike's allot too, I think his shampoo bars are even better than his shaving soap.

Carbide Mike, dustmite and Hodge like this.
  6. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I like Grandpas Wonder Pine Tar Soap, for shampoo and body wash. Get it from Amazon and Walgreens.

[​IMG]

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Chagrin valley and rose of sharon acres get my vote thus far.

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

+1 for Mikes Natural Shampoo bars. His Lavender/peppermint/tea tree bar is excellant.

Keithmax and Carbide Mike like this.
  9. dustmite

I was really looking at Chagrin Valley, as they offer samples. I'd rather spend a bit more on a few samples than be stuck with a full size bar of something I can't stand...

Carbide Mike, Hodge and richgem like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also have dry scalp and Pine Tar shampoo has always worked the best for me and have used it on my face. Guess it's time for Pine Tar soap also.

Carbide Mike and dustmite like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

You could always make your own if you were feeling creative :D

12. dustmite

I'm pretty handy, but soap making is well above my pay grade...

Carbide Mike and Hodge like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I keep my hair anywhere from short to pretty much non existent, but I haven't washed my hair with anything but Stirling's bar soap for years.

14. dustmite

Just got an order of Stirling bath soap, maybe I'll just go ahead and try that.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't have any idea how well it will do as far as hair care, but it sure has kept my scalp in good shape.

16. richgem

And it didn't strip the Turtle Wax off the unicorn horn. :bounce017:

17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have used this often, and it does everything. Shampoo, soap, and it makes a fine shaving soap + it is inexpensive b43bda2d3dce68831422c0a86d30b34c.jpg

dustmite and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My hair stays at about 1/16-1/4", and I use Dr Bronner Hemp Bars in Lavender for everything shower related.

PickledNorthern and Carbide Mike like this.
  19. richgem

I've used an artisan soap with goat's milk. It's an amazing additive and good for the skin. As you've noticed, goat's milk bars can (usually) do it all.

20. dustmite

I just placed an order with Chagrin Valley for some samples. I was discussing this with my wife, and when I first brought it up she thought I was nuts. I ended up getting her two samples when she requested it this morning... Now she's even considering giving up her body wash! I never thought I'd live to see the day!

richgem likes this.