Who here likes Feathers?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I traded my Merkur 34C HD recently because it was way too mild a razor for me. Once I learned good technique, I was looking for a razor that was really aggressive so that I didn't spend much time doing a lot of passes. Now my go to razor is an R41, it took me a couple shaves to get comfortable with it.

I got 125 Feather blades from @Gwunter for the 34C which I thought was a fair. So I have to give him a shout out for the good trade. I got the blades on Thursday and as soon as I brought them in the house, I couldn't wait to shave with them. The Astra SS are my blade of choice, a really efficient and sharp, "economy" blade. I have read a lot about Feathers and how people swear that they are the sharpest and best, but when it comes to blades, YMMV. So I didn't have any big expectations going into the shave. I loaded one into my R41 and quickly became a believer in them. Very sharp, but also very smooth. Now I can see why some people think they're the best. Really opened my eyes on the importance of trying new things. I will probably still use Astras but Feathers will always be a part of my den.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

So, glad to hear you've found a new favorite. Feather is very sharp, and will really punish those with bad technique! Congrats on mastering your razor!

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I tend to prefer sharper blades in mild razors (I use feathers in a Gillette tech) and milder blades in aggressive razors

RyX, hamoncan and Matt0210 like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Feather is my favorite blade. I like others like Vokshod, Astra SP, and GSB, but Feather still works the best for me.

Matt0210 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"I don't often shave with a safety razor, but when I do, I only use Feathers.

Stay thirsty, my friends..."

:D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    AGHisBBS, RyX, SABOTEURw and 3 others like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think many folks around here think they are the best. But most people will agree that they are the sharpest DE blades out there.

I often recommend them to newbies because they are so unforgiving of poor technique. If you tend to use too much pressure, Feathers will cure that bad habit faster than anything else. :)

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

They never really worked for me. Russkie blades(GSB, Voskhod, 7 o'clock Green) always delievered better shaves....but they look good on you though :D

Matt0210 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Been a long time since I had one and I recall it did not go very well. But I'm sure I'd enjoy the blade more these days since I've got my technique down.

Matt0210 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That sounds nice, I'd like to try that with my Canuck Tech.

Matt0210 likes this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I found Feathers to be a bit harsh, so I stick with the Russians...Voskhod, Sputnick, any of the Teflon-coated or Platinum blades.

Matt0210 likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Me...:)

AGHisBBS and Matt0210 like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A couple of years ago, I bought a couple of tucks of Feathers. I still have some. They are too expensive for my taste. I get great shaves from Astra SPs for far less money$.

They are very nice blades though. I will give them that.

mikewood and Matt0210 like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Matt, congrats on your progress with the R41! :happy088:

I like Feathers, but I also use and like Astra SPs, Perma-Sharp Supers, and Polsilver Super Iridiums.

mini.png

RyX and Matt0210 like this.
  14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Really tried to like them - yes they are sharp but just were not smooth. I like my Russian blades.

RetLEO-07 and Matt0210 like this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Feathers indeed are great blades but they are NOT for a beginning DE shaver unless he has a very steady and light hand.

RyX, RetLEO-07 and Matt0210 like this.
  16. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Feather was my top rated blade for the longest time. They cut through my hair like a hot knife through butter, which is pretty rare among many blades that I have tried. I almost bought a 100 pack but I don't like platinum coatings and I also felt that there are blades that offer a similar or better price/performance ratio.

I think that only blade that has possibly usurped Feather in performance for me is Kai. They are almost as sharp as Feathers but they also somewhat smooth like Voskhods.

Matt0210 likes this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

One of my favorite blades and the blade I started with when I got my first DE razor.

Some have already mentioned that they may not be the best choice for a beginner but I have to agree with @PLANofMAN when he says that they'll cure a bad habit in a hurry.

Of course I also took my motorcycle endorsement test on a GoldWing when I probably should have used something much smaller and easier to do a figure 8 with.

I'm not exactly the sharpest tack on the bulletin board.

AGHisBBS, Matt0210, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Are Russian blades considered a notch below Feathers in sharpness, but yet very sharp? Do the majority of DE shavers from Japan use Feathers? It is great to have such a wide choice between Derby and Feathers.

Matt0210 and Demidog like this.
  19. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

For me, the Russian blades tend to be the smoothest, not the sharpest. I'd say that most of them are moderately sharp. A lot of blades are manufactured in Russia though, like Polsilvers and the yellow 7 O'Clocks, which are quite sharp.

Between Feather and Kai, Japanese shavers definitely have some amazing blades at their disposal.

Matt0210 likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think most DE and shavette use in Japan is by barbers, and most, if not all, use Feather or KAI blades.

I consider Russian blades to be a step down from Feathers, as far as sharpness. I can still give myself razor burn with a Feather, even on the fifth or so shave. It's not something I worry about with most Russian blades. Ladas are probably the closest to Feathers, or Polsilver Iridiums.

Edit: I should mention that I started my fiancee off with Feather blades in her Lady Gillette when I converted her to wet shaving.

I've gotten her to try other blades from time to time, but she goes back to Feathers blades, often before she's done shaving.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Demidog, Matt0210 and Col C like this.