Best can shaving cream for speed & efficiency

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ironthinker, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'll do it for the heck of it. But my shaves go too quickly!

crackstar and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you get them when they are doing the buy three get two free deal that they do three or four times a year, pretty cheap.

And it lasts for a couple of months.

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I literally threw all my canned shave creams in the trash over 7 months ago. Most shave soaps especially the croaps produce lather so easily and quickly I don't find that is where I need to save time when I'm in a hurry. If I want to save time shaving then I'll cut out the two minute hot towel soaking routine and do one good pass instead of three - still better than any cartridge razor ever did.

crackstar and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Matthew Hundt

Matthew Hundt New Member

I never prefer Canned shaving cream as it has lot of disadvantages because it damages to the skin as it contains some highly flammable ingredients..

5. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Doesn't really damage the skin.

Paul Turner and BigMike like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Some have good moisture, though.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Kind of depends on the skin, wouldn't you say?

Never bothered me, but my son couldn't use several different brands.

8. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

It seems to me that a quick way to knock out a shave in an expedited manner...without having to resort to canned...would be to just soak a badger brush under the faucet, squeeze out excess water, squeeze in a dollop of Palmolive or other choice of cream, face lather...shave. Speaking for myself, but if the above method still wasn't quick enough...I think I'd try a little better time management.

I gave away a can of Edge goo...a little while back and picked up a can of Barbasol original. I used it once and it dried my face out, so I haven't used it since.

9. PickledNorthern

That seems a bit harsh.....

EzraCobb, gorgo2 and BigMike like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is not my experience.

EzraCobb likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I would also posit that if the reason you are using it is because you are needing to save time, in 1:30 you have already finished two passes and are putting your stuff away.

gorgo2, Bama Samurai and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When cartridge shaving, I used Barbasol many times. I have never experienced it lasting only a short time on my face, just as good as Gillette canned shave creams, only less expensive.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I realize that the majority of men world-wide use either canned stuff or electrics and are satisfied. I don't really hate the stuff but I just can't use it.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Correct!

[​IMG]

PickledNorthern, gorgo2 and EzraCobb like this.
  15. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

do you live in a really dry area, Arizona desert? i can have barbasol on my face for 5 minutes and consistency and moisture stays the same, like when my shave is interupted by my children misbehaving and running out of my bathroom. barbosal is not a artisan and does not involve the brush ritual, but its a excellent product. plenty of cushion, slickness, ease of use and a classic americana scent.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    gorgo2 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hear, hear!

EzraCobb likes this.
  17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Not yet found. But very intrigued.
    I've read tons of excellent feedback.
    I'm going to get Gillette Labs Rapid Foaming Shave Gel.

Can you relate?

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  18. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

If it's in a can, I use Gillette Foam Barber Shop Fresh. If it's a shave cream, it's either Taylor of Old Bond Street or Palmolive.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Believe it or not, one can whip up and apply brushed soap/cream in barely more time it than takes to hand-slather on a coating of foaming goo (I enjoy both). Canned doesn't really save time, just steps and clutter.

Michael_W and brit like this.