Hardware store scent?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by DentonMajik, Feb 19, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Yeah, I used the wrong word. But our local store didn't have any yard care stuff, other than live capture traps, rakes, shovels and the like. They sold every kind of nail, screw, nut and bolt, model trains, cast iron cookware, tools, etc, etc. Another case of everybody's experience being different. No one can agree on exactly what a barber shop smells like, either.

RyX, Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I hear ya. My bad.

Carbide Mike and dustmite like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

When I was a kid; my father would take us kids to Agway for feed, gloves and tools. Across the street was Lehigh lumber with tools, lumber, and hardware.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Couldn't help myself, but this hardware/auto product does fit in, and shaves great. download.jpg

RyX, DentonMajik and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

There was a thread about a gun oil/solvent scented shave soap, wonder if it would be close.
    Im rather inclined to think it was called hoppes9?..if memory serves.

RyX, DentonMajik and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Got to get me some of that. I will take gun oil over the "VEG" any day. :)

7. PickledNorthern

Check out JoAnna's new gunslinger deal, or whatever she's calling it. One of them is Hoppe's. It's in the vendor's corner.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Checking it out. Glad I am not on the NB cause I have way too much gun oil , and the courage and stupidity to possibly try it ! :)

9. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I'm one of those people that say "Don't knock it until you try it", but I would have to say that it's not a scent I would lather up with. Some scents I can understand like leather, tobacco, pine. Hardware store just doesn't sound like a feasible or pleasant scent. Just my opinion though.

Carbide Mike and swarden43 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Popcorn and coffee! How could I have forgotten those?

11. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I have Chiseled Face Redneck. I can confirm it smells exactly like a truck shop. I work in a truck shop.

12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I believe PAA has a soap called "9" which is Hoppes 9. Also Chiseled Face Midnight stag has Hoppes 9 in it along with burning rubber, gasoline, birch tar, leather, gunpowder, tobacco... Yeah

DentonMajik and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like it's right up my alley

DentonMajik likes this.
  14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Wow...Hardware store scent...What a blast from the past! Ours didn't do feed/grain products, but as I read this I could smell the one my dad used to take me to. Like everyone else's, you could hardly move upstairs. Floor to ceiling stacks and crammed aisles you had to turn sideways to walk down. The funny part to me was, no matter what you needed, with all that stuff upstairs, somebody would ALWAYS have to go downstairs to find it lol! I'd love that fragrant reminder as a soap scent, but don't know anything near enough about AS to know if it could be pulled off.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Perhaps Some notes of freshly cut wood, metal shavings, WD40 and perhaps some paint fumes. Redneck smelled more like a auto shop than a hardware store, but I'm sure one of the artisans that do custom scents could mix something up for ya.

16. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've heard that Czech Pitralon soap and aftershave smells somewhat like WD40 but haven't tried it myself.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

tried my j.m. frasers shave cream the other day.worked well,almost too slick,could nt hold on to the razor without washing hands.smells like lemon autoshop hand cleaner,but not bad.a little industrial.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Another vote for Chiseled Face Midnight Stag. From their description:
    Scent is made of the following notes: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamont, Vanilla

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. PickledNorthern

Most of those sound like things I try to wash off at the end of my day.

swarden43 and ob1page like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I worked for an old school Hardware-Lumber yard when I was in school. Here's a couple of scents that come to mind..
    Sawdust
    Paint, thinner
    WD40
    Old man Jack
    Burch
    Redwood
    Pine!!
    Skunk

ob1page likes this.