Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

When all else fails look below your nose on the screen:signs002:

twhite likes this.
  2. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."- viking proverb and even slaves were legally allowed their carry. I had a nurse freak out taking a job application drug test ( interview question; why do you want this job? So I can eat next month; and they think I can afford drugs?) when I emptied my pockets. She asked why I carried a knife? I replied I cut things with it. I noticed on my way out her struggling to open heavily taped boxes of supplies WITH HER CAR KEYS. I retrieved a small SAK from my car and gifted it to her. Sometimes you can be smug or teach a life lesson.

swarden43 and twhite like this.
  3. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I once moderated an emergency survival forum and went to Phoenix to test marine liferafts ( don't ask.) I was gifted a toolman and it went into my baggage compartment bag with fallkniven U2 pre production folder. This was right after the shoe bomber incident. I was pulled over along with a white bearded Sikhe farmer to remove our shoes. I watched the anonymous sky marshal board FIRST after taking note of us.
    The utter inanity was I was seated starboard wing, window at the emergency door and the sikhe next to me. We were giggling as I told him not to say anything more and complicate matters. This, as Mr anonymous sky marshall changed seats to be right behind us. My new friend was pleased I knew the sikhe greeting and we put our shoes back on and talked about farming in the Central Valley. He inquired if I had a pleasant visit? I explained, as Mr Sky Marshall listened in that I was testing marine liferafts and was an ex coastguard airsea lifeboat coxswain/rescue swimmer. About then the flight attendant interruppted to ask if I knew how to open the emergency hatch? after listening to my previous comment. The Sikhe giggled, anonymous air marshall put hands to forehead in disbelief and I asked if it was like securing the hatch on a 44' MLB?

RetLEO-07 and twhite like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That
    That's how I felt about my Buck 110. I carried it on my gunbelt for 29 years. It also cut a person out of a seatbelt. Helped deliever a baby, opened the jammed door of a crashed small plane and cut the clothes off numerous crash victims.

twhite likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. swarden43

This was in my mailbox when I got home today.
    Case 6347 in their new walnut bone.
    Absolutely love it!
    20170224_180027.jpg

Drygulch, PickledNorthern and twhite like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That is a very nice knife. Unicorn-worthy.

twhite and swarden43 like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I was looking for razors in a vintage store a few weeks ago, and found this beauty. Western States Cutlery, (Founded by the Platts family when they closed Cattaraugus and dissolved ties with W.R. Case & Sons and moved to Boulder, Colorado.) This was a well loved knife. I like the fact that one side had wood added to replace the bone scale. Lots of sharpening happened, and it still had good edges. Snaps like a gator when it closes.
    IMG_5898.jpg

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

Nice!

10. swarden43

Sweet! Whoever replaced that bone with the wood did a fantastic job. Great score!!

11. RetLEO-07

Car keys aren't a viable option? :)

12. swarden43

Waiting for this to arrive...
    46662.jpg

gorgo2, RyX, PickledNorthern and 3 others like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice, Steve. It matches your avatar, too.

14. swarden43

Thanks. 6318, medium stockman, Ocean Blue Bone. For me, the perfect size.
    The stockman is a favorite of mine, especially if it's a Case.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

This is my current EDC knife. I love the speed safe system. One-handed operation, easy and quick. It's a Kershaw Leek Ken Onion design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twhite, AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I remember one time when I was manning a booth at a trade show. We were handing out carpenter's pencils since it was easy to display our logo and information on the flat sides. One young guy picked one up off the table and after looking at it for a few moments asked me - "how do you sharpen it". I pulled out my pocket knife and said - "use one of these". He looked at me like I was from outer space. Obviously he had no idea what a carpenter's pencil was and had never carried a pocket knife. It actually made me a bit sad to think that as a culture, we have strayed so far from common sense and knowing how even simple stuff works.

BigMark83, RyX, twhite and 2 others like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

Amen Colonel. I carry a Swiss Army Tinker everywhere I go and I've made small repairs for people who are amazed that such a small knife can do so much.

RyX, twhite, Col C and 1 other person like this.
  18. cegadede

cegadede Member

Honest (naïve, maybe) question: why 3 blades on a knife? They have different purposes? What are they?

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando Tapatalk

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They served different purposes, depending on the shape. They were designed for tasks varying from skinning animals without damaging the pelt, to cleaning out the feet of livestock.

I doubt most of us still use them for many of the original intended purposes. For me, the blades on a stockman are the whittling blade, the package/letter opening blade and the cleaning out under my fingernails blade.

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  20. cegadede

cegadede Member

Thanks!

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando Tapatalk

RyX likes this.