cold water vs hot water shave: Can you really tell the difference?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Mar 21, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I know there's a cold water shavers thread already, but this is different. For those of you have shaven both methods, can you really tell the difference?

I've shaved both cold and hot water, but not close enough to each other to the difference. So for the next 3 days I'll be cold water shaving, then hot water shaving the next 3 and see if its a difference.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For me, yes.
    The cold water shave is cold, tuggy, and uncomfortable.
    Don't like it.

But that's me.

MObigfoot, Linuxguile and George X like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I never used cold water to shave, but I'm sure @Jayaruh will chime in during your experiment.

George X likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I haven't shaved with hot water in years now. Refreshing and low irritation it is.
    Check us out at: Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

5. RetLEO-07

I told 'em you'd be along Jim

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried cold water shaving 3 times, I and allot of tugging and irritation. It does seem to work for others so it is worth giving it a try.

George X likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I shaved the hot water method for quite a long time and no matter what I tried; more of a slick lather, lighter touch, different angle, DE razor, straight razor; I always got irritation badly. So when I was looking for other methods, I came across cold water shaving. I immediately felt a difference. I got less irritation and was generally more satisfied with results I got. I guess it just comes down to skin types, oil generation of the follicles and all sorts of other scientific theories that come into play. Every individual is different.

MObigfoot, preidy, George X and 2 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

The last line is the story in a nutshell

MObigfoot, George X and Zykris like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm different. Just like everybody else. :happy097:

MObigfoot, Zykris and George X like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

My son who is US Army Infantry has had to shave with cold water in the field. Given his druthers, he'd rather not.

MObigfoot, AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I won't even try cold water. I like a nice warm shave, even in the summer.

Sent via mobile

12. RetLEO-07

And I would add special
    :D

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Oh yeah !!!!!!

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I get a better shave with cold water. I wonder if cold stubble cuts cleaner while it does less well with a less sharp blade. I hated cold water shaves with cartridges (I shaved cold for ten years living in Cambodia) but have no issues at all with my adult razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Matt0210, George X and Zykris like this.
  15. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

I have been shaving with cold water for over nine months. I could definitely feel the difference from hot water. I have been shaving with my adjustables on 5. Tonight I cranked the Fatboy to 9 and had a nice 2 pass shave with zero irritation. I won't go back to hot water. I guess that also makes me ready for the zombie apocalypse.

16. George X

George X Well-Known Member

@Robflex convinced me to give it a try and I am forever in his debt for that advice. Doooooood!
    Cold water at my house in Colorado is really cold and it is very refreshing. When I want a warmish shave I turn the faucet to the middle and it's not real cold but it's not warm either.
    Since we are all different I would say you should try it. You may be one of the special ones that really like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MObigfoot likes this.
  17. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I shave with cold water and I can tell a difference. For me, there isn't any tugging or irritation at all with cold water. Hot water my skin gets red and irritated, it's kinda weird but cold water works best for me.

MObigfoot likes this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I can do either, but I prefer cold water shaving since I live in Texas...Where is is sweltering hot 95% of the year...And global warming isn't helping.

MObigfoot, Zykris and Matt0210 like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Using cold water is also tuggy and at times painful, for me too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  20. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Cold well water during winter in Colorado is a shocking morning eye opener, not such a comfortable shave either. I'll stick with the warm shave.

Zykris likes this.