Who in the world uses DE bladed?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMike, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Something's been bothering me for a while now: how is it that there are so many DE blade makers in business? It's hard to imagine even a single manufacturer being supported by the economics of DE shavers in the Western world where cartridges dominate the market. Are countries like China, Russia, and India predominantly using DE razors? Just curious.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  2. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've often wondered the same thing. There was a video on "How it's Made" or something like that showing DE blades being produced. Looked like there were zillions being made. And that was just one factory. Interested to hear the definitive answer.

BigMike and gorgo2 like this.
  3. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

I think a single Gillette factory in Russia makes a lot of the blades out there, including Astra and many popular Gillette SKUs. It may be that there are only a handful of factories servicing the entire world.

How many double edge shavers are there in the world?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

BigMike likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think most of the second and third world use them. We hobby shavers sure don't keep them up and running.

BigMike and dustmite like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't know the numbers. I know living in Cambodia for ten years that DE razors were a very uncommon choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BigMike likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think maybe it was @PLANofMAN has posted on it before. Maybe someone else has some actual numbers.

BigMike likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I use them about half the time. I have a pretty good supply, too.

BigMike likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Cool, would love to see them. You can find the Gillette Click in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia but that's about it outside of Siamwetshaving and one other distributor marketing to enthusiasts in Bangkok.

I would expect that India remains by far the largest consumer of DE blades which has been the case for a very long time.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    BigMike and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to "Made in America"?

RyX likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Personna still exists.

PatrickA51, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good blades, too. I like them.
    Personna For Hospital Use.gif

PatrickA51 and wristwatchb like this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I think I have some of them in my stash.:eatdrink013:

RyX likes this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, I've seen some guy's blade stashes...:D

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy102: I was thinking the same!

RyX and dustmite like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i think wilkinson sword still sells their classic de razor and blades in england.the blades are now available in most stores here in canada but they are 10-12 dollars for 10 blades.

16. hairball

hairball New Member

double edge blades are just like single edge blades, predominately now just an industrial/medical tool. In order to make microscope slides tissue has to be cut, and to prevent cross contamination a new blade must be used for each slide. And with the amount of meaningless research done these days all over the world, a very large market exists for de and se blades for medical use.

Industrially, the SE blade reigns supreme, coming in over a dozen sizes and configurations. for every SE/Injector brand sold for shaving purposes, you most likely have 2-3 brands sold for scraping paint or cutting carpet, cardboard, plastic in a factory.

brit likes this.