SoS: March 20, 2017 - March 26, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

***correction** date is wrong in photo, haha

3/21/2017
    arko shave
    paa prismatic with brass handle custom made by rod george

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Cool setup Doug. Do you have the stopping kit for the razor?

3. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Grace O' Malley set was purchased directly from Black Ship. Just got it in so first run will be in the morning but it is a Green Irish Tweed clone from the mid level aroma I pickup. See if the aroma blooms more once lathered up.

4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Portland Razor Co. Chimera/Supply Provision Custom 3 dot head
    Blade: Chick
    Brush: That Darn Rob silvertip
    Soap: B&M Hallows
    Post Care: Thayers Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Aftershave: B&M Hallows

Another couple of firsts tonight; first try of the Hallows and Chimera. First, the Hallows, something drew me towards using this soap tonight, maybe it was a sense of dread. I don't care what it was, I love this scent. Very dark, I got a lot of chocolate of the soap and a little dark Vetiver. The aftershave is slightly different, I'm getting a predominately wet forest scent with some more Vetiver thrown in. Awesome!

Speaking of awesome, the Chimera was a pleasure to use, awkward, but still a pleasure. Since I can count on one hand my number of straight shaves I stuck with only using it for the sides of my face and neck. It's loud, balanced and easy to maneuver. I only did WTG passes but I did 3 then cleaned up everything with the Supply. Not BBS but close and zero blood or irritation. Excellent shave tonight. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That Chimera is a beauty.

RyX, clint64, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  6. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thank you Brian.

7. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Wednesday SOTD
    [​IMG]

Mongoose razor
    Simpson Duke 2 brush
    Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars soap
    Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars aftershave

9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

How do you like the "Christmas Eve"?

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

My white Arkie came in yesterday from @Spyder and I put it to it's first use today. I hadn't shaved with my ERN since December and it got the nod. As you'd likely expect, it was a really nice shave. The smoothness of the Arkie finish was most noticeable on the areas where I end up taking multiple strokes - extra smooth. No cuts, nicks, weepers and a super close finish with little noise from the Alum. Yeah, I'll be putting more razors on that stone. :happy036:

Oh, and I forgot what a noisy razor sounds like. The thin grind on this ERN makes shaving with it like listening to velcro being pulled apart. :)

ERN 1934 11:16 AOS HASS SR AOS.jpg

Happy shaving everyone - Karl

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I shaved with my ER 1914 Monday. It was a wonderful shave, but I find that razor difficult to load and unload the blade. Mine has a very strong spring and it is hard to open. Then when I line up the blade and close the lid, it snaps so hard it startles me. Great shave though.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Is there a blade in the razor in the photo? It's a beautiful design.

Shave Monkey, ram57, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Route 66 Cranberry Citrus shave soap! Incredible!
    I love this Suribachi bowl from @RyX

IMG_20170321_214922.jpg IMG_20170321_215310.jpg

14. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I never tried a Sterling soap before and I was looking for something seasonal. The scent is great. It has an evergreen type scent with maybe something like a cranberry type accent maybe with something smoothing like a bit of vanilla. I am not good at describing scents, but it smells like Christmas in a soap. It is funny using something with Christmas in the name in March, but it works for me. As for the performance, it works like all other Sterling products. I find it to be very good. I compared it to the two other samples I bought at the same time and they all seem to work the same. Good stuff.
    Steve

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Honorable mention to Jack @Sparrow for finding the bowl in Osaka Provence, Japan. They are authentic. I still have two more of the black ceramic finished bowls. One is for my brother in West Virginia. Haven't decided if I'll keep the other. I passed a smaller copper colored ceramic finished bowl to my Lady Friend, along with the surikogi (wooden grinding stick).

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

ram57, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

If you ever decide to get rid of another, drop me a line for a trade or sale opportunity

Shave Monkey, ram57, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness & Spring Cleaning!!

March 21

Razor -Feather SS
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Soap Commander
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Back to the aggression of a pain stick tonight but it's the Feather SS. After using the Kai Captain for several shaves and getting the feel of the DX style head I'm ready to see the difference in the feel of the SS and its "lip". I'm also hoping to feel the difference between the Captain Original blade and the Feather Pro. Lather from the JR46 and Soap Commander Courage. Every time I use this soap I like it a little bit better. I'm almost to the point of considering a trial between Soap Commander, Stirling and Route 66 to see which one is better (in my opinion, of course) but I'm just having fun using them all at the moment. And, about the time I decide one is a little better I use another one and it makes me forget what I thought about the other one. It's a conspiracy.

Two passes and I can tell a difference between razor angles but honestly not much more. I do feel like I'm probably a little looser with the SS if only because the lip does provide that little bit of cushion, but other than that it's a very similar feel to the Kai, which, of course, it should be. As far as the Kai blade to the Feather blade - six of one, half a dozen of the other. Very close in effectiveness. I finished with a nice DFS with this shave just like I have been with the Kai. That brings about a shocking thought - am I so comfortable now with pain sticks that they have become interchangeable like DE's? Time to figure out another challenge if that's the case.

My Monday awaits and it's an inventory week. Fun stuff. Hope you are all doing great and it's always great to catch up after being off the computer for most of the day. You guys make the day all better!

[​IMG]

18. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

19. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey. Nice color coordination there. As before, that black superspeed is bad ass.

ram57, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
    Razor: BBS-1
    Blade: Ladas (1)
    Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
    Lather: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft
    Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.