What Are Some Details for The Gillette Flare Tip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 21, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I know I said this before, I'm getting a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip Double Edge Safety Razor in the mail either next week or after, and I'd like to know some details about this model razor. If anyone has some great insight of this razor, please share it with me.

RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It's a mild razor. You will enjoy . The end

AGHisBBS, RyX, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Just let us know if you like it better than your Krona. I prefer the Krona.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. theguitarshaver559

I will.

5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What color tip is it?

What date ?

6. theguitarshaver559

I think it's a silver super speed model, and I think it's from the 1950's. Not sure what exact date to be honest.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You may want to collect the three types of flare tips: blue, silver, and red. There is also the black handle flare tip.
    The blue tip is the mildest, silver is mild, and the red is the most aggressive. The black handle flare tip is rather mild too.

RyX likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

IMO the Gillette Super Speeds were the workhorse of Gillette, you won't find a better shaver.

RyX, PLANofMAN and theguitarshaver559 like this.
  9. theguitarshaver559

The silver tip is the one I'm getting. I'll get the blue tip, red tip and black handle flare WAY later on. I need to set up my own paypal payment account on ebay, since that's my 93% best chance of getting them.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Pretty much says it all...So I just shared a pic;)

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There were literally billions of them made over their 50+ year lifespan. Most have been thrown away, which still leaves millions and millions of them out there.

Good shavers though. I have a few, including my first DE, which was a 1967 flare tip super speed.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

When you know what year it was made you may want a copy of the correct instruction.
    1960s Super-Speed.jpg

14. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

All of the Super Speed razors were mild, with the red tip model the more aggressive. I began DE shaving with the blue tip and, mild as it is, managed to occasionally nick myself. What I would suggest (if you are new to DE shaving) is to focus on learning a proper technique, particularly on the correct angle to hold the razor (around 30 degrees). I learned by holding the razor almost perpendicular to the face and then reducing the angle until I could feel the blade cutting the whiskers without touching skin. Keep as light a touch as possible.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Under the head are two codes, a letter and a number. Such as C3 for third quarter 1957 or K4 for fourth quarter 1965. That will tell you what year you have.

HERM

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have a few, '55 Red Tip, '56 Silver, '47 and '52 Super-Speed. ALL terrific razors. They hold the blade securely and have nice, easy to wield handles. They never disappoint. Enjoy your new one @theguitarshaver559

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What's even more amazing is you can still find NOS Super Speed, and great used one's.

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.