March 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2017.

?

Rule or Focus this month?

1. Rule! It's all about solid technique!

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Focus on soaps/creams

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Focus on blades

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Focus on a razor or razors

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. Focus on brushes

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Cleaning house baby - stuff's gonna PIF!

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Shenanigans

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Focus? On cookies!

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I don't think a flat earth can revolve. When it turned upside down we'd all fall off.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

The seller is belike76.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic setup and congrats on the successful maiden voyage with the Chimera. It looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

So far I appear to do my best loading with the Jayaruh #59.

5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

March 22

Gillette SA w Voskhod (1)
    TGN Finest Fan/ Maple Handle
    B & M Seville Soap
    Thayers Unscented
    Barrister's Reverve Cool AS
    image.jpg
    Day 15 of the '69 Black Beauty focus, day one back with the Voskhod. Went 7,5,3 on the passes, as has been my settings on the other blades in this focus. I started with the Voshkod at the start of the month, but didn't have it at these settings at that point. Another nice shave, with only one tiny weeper, but I do find the Polsilver and Astra sharper in the first pass that this blade or the Sharp Star. Splitting hairs, though, as I think all these blades are top notch and capable of great shaves. Great, slick lather from the Seville and Finest Fan. This AS just came in. I love the Reserve Spice, so I ordered the Reserve Cool. I've never tried Floid Blue, which is what this is based on, but it is a nice scent and this is a quality product. Overall, another darn fine shave.
    I will be leaving my Black Beauty focus for the next week. Much like one of our fearless moderators Chris, I too will be heading out on a family vacation as we have Spring Break here. This will be the first time our kids will be on a plane, and they're very excited.
    Will be using my usual travel set up- a post war ball end tech, omega travel brush (I made a comment in a post yesterday that I only own one boar but I forgot about this travel brush) and TOBS creams in travel tubes.
    Have a great day all!

6. jtspartan

Stunning woodwork in the background, Clint. Beautiful photo.

7. jtspartan

Great photo, Jim. I've yet to break out my old type. Next month's focus! Glad to hear it works well for you.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN March 22nd
    [​IMG]

Schick B1 Repeating Razor
    C Schick (5)
    Ever-Ready 200T
    La Toja (Grated and pressed in VDH bowl)
    Homemade Lime AS

Good morning everyone! Had another absolutely stellar shave with the Schick B1 last night. I absolutely love this razor, it has a good level of aggression but is still smooth. Typical awesome, close, long lasting injector type shaves But the weight of the handle really puts it over the top. This razor performs so well for me that is has earned a staring position on The Dream Team . Have a great day my Friends!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

First rate shave Jason. To me Seville has one of the best scents of any soap I have used. I truly enjoy looking at the wonderful work you do with the brushes. Bravo.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason. The background is a small end table we shipped home from a trip to India over 20 years ago. I just feel in love with the detail and prior to 9/11 shipping things home was much cheaper and less hassle.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It took me quite a bit longer than that. I'm glad I'm stubborn

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The factory edge on this one still needs some work. I did two passes and still wasn't DFS. I picked up my Mongoose for a third pass and am BBS. I'll work on this one on the weekend.
    SOTD
    Mickey Lee Soapworks The Drunken Goat
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Herr & Razors Kamisori
    Lucky Tiger
    Pinaud Special Reserve AS
    Have fun![​IMG]

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I was wondering if that was the razor. It looks even more awesome now.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So sorry to hear. Condolences.

15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

March 22 - Disappointed Fatboy

Gillette G3 Fatboy 9, 5, 3
    Voskhod (Day 3)
    Dark Chocolate Brush ( JR#148)
    DIY PSO
    Stirling Dunshire
    Alum/ Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Sensitive PSB

Today was the third day on a Voskhod in the Fatboy. I decided to push it all the way up to 9.

Stirling Dunshire is an awesome scent and must buy again. The Dark Chocolate brush was wetted and then loaded off the puck rather wet in the container. the lather was wetter than my usual but I went ahead after seeing my recent history with wetter lather.

Initially, WTG, it wasn't that bad. I did feel a little sensation like it was a bit rough but then this same blade was in my 34C, I was able to get 6 days out of it. This was not the case in this Fatboy. From the beginning, I have been light in pressure. Today was no different but it just did not feel great. WTG, it got worse. This blade was definitely done. I lowered to 5 because I just could not find an angle that did not irritate. The hair just wasn't being cut. Reducing it to 5 helped for XTG. I dropped it again to 3 to get ATG. Alum burned and even felt some sting from the WH.

The Voskhod, for me in the Fatboy just doesn't work. Will try an Astra SP next.

This is very disappointing. Nonetheless, out with the Voskhod and in with a different blade. Whatever it is about the Fatboy, Voskhods, my technique and my beard, it just doesn't seem to work. Will see what the next blade brings....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Very glad to see this, Brian.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I though you were going to try the Rapira PL today. I was going to say before Rapira PL + FB on 5 or 6 should be Nirvana.

18. jtspartan

Thanks, Clint. As I've said in a few posts, I have really enjoyed getting the lathe out again. I think I'll make a few more handles after I get back from vacation. I do want a tuxedo or cashmere to try. I'm already getting a few looks from SWMBO about the row of brushes I have, so maybe I'll make a couple to PIF to the 30 day crew. Someone made a joke on here about a 30 day crew LE brush, but maybe I'll take 'em up on it.

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

3/22/17 SOTD
    Razor: Crandall Cutlery Co, Bradford PA
    Strop: Drygulch Leatherworks Horse/Linen
    Brush: Dubl Duck M2/ Omega Boar
    Soap: The Soap Exchange Beach Bum
    Aftershave: Master Lilac Vegetal
    IMG_5900.jpg
    Very nice shave this morning. Used a recently restored razor and a new to me soap. First the razor, Crandall Cutlery operated from 1905-1912 in Bradford, PA. It was founded and operated by Case family members, and was absorbed into W.R. Case & Sons in 1912. This razor was in rough shape when I got it, and the scales were ruined. I had these obnoxious orange scales from a different razor I had restored, and had the blade cleaned up and put into them. I had the razor professional honed, and this is my first use of it.

I won this soap in the February TSD raffle. Despite them being a supporting vendor of the site, I don't see much of their soaps. The Beach Bum scent is Sea Salt, Sea Moss and Green Vetiver. @TheSoapExchange warned me that the scent for Beach Bum is the lightest one she has. I was able to load my mostly dry boar brush in the container, adding just a little water to get a really good load on the brush. Then I went to my lather bowl, and slowly added water. This soap is thirsty, but when I hit the right hydration point, the lather exploded into a thick, shiny lather that provided a lot of cushion and slickness. I did three passes, and the lather didn't dissipate as I shaved, and the bowl didn't need more water added between passes. The scent was light, but a very good green earthy salt smell. It didn't fill the room, but was noticeable throughout the shave. My only gripe with the soap is that the container is only about 2.5 inches wide, and I can't load the soap with my badger or synthetic brush because they won't fit in the container. I am looking forward to continuing to use the soap, but I will probably move it to a bigger container. I also have a tub of espresso scented soap that was included with the order. The scent on that is stronger, and I would like to PIF the container to someone who will enjoy it. (I have more soap than I can use, and want more people to try this brand, it's good stuff.)

The shave was a very straight forward three pass almost BBS with no irritation. The great fresh edge on the NY steel, really well working lather, and clean finish of urine-less Vegetal was wonderful. Alum was silent, and I am happy with the shave.

20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Before I put a blade in either the Scientist or Fatboy, it must go through the Merkur 34C. I do have the Rapira PL in the 34C as we speak but I felt this month, the Fatboy hasn't received much love and I wanted to try it full open. I figured a 2 shave Voskhod should still have lots of life so I pulled the trigger. Now that all of the razors have new blades, I need to see who I want next. I am thinking the 34C/Rapira PL.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017