Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I used the route 66 Cranberry Citrus today. Just a pea-sized amount netted me a good lather. The scent was one of my favorites in the box as well.

IMG_20170321_214922.jpg IMG_20170321_215310.jpg

Sparrow, PLAla, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Hey Perry,
    I was thinking. I know the idea is for each to pass in and out what they desire. Would it be a good idea if we modify the rules a bit. by adding the following rule:

If a recipient chooses, they can mark a soap as "Not For Trade" . This way, if they choose to make it available for all who follow instead of it being an option for trade in. Maybe the requirement will require that no take out is done when one is added in this fashion. Kinda like what the Vendors do but instead from a loyal customer trying to get a vendor more exposure.

I am sure everyone here can work out the details.

What do you think???

ob1page and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 03222017.gif
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
    Omega Pro #98 boar brush
    Weck Bantam & Personna blade
    '59 Gillette #195, Feather blade
    Alum block, English Leather AS

A great performance from a tallow soap. Described as "a classic barbershop scent with a western twist – main notes being bergamot,basil leaf, white patchouli, oakmoss, Texas cedar, leather, smoke, and gunpowder." A soft soap, I wet my face and rubbed the sample on two days stubble. Moistened boar bristles brought up a creamy lather with good staying power& a rich scent. By recycling the lather from my first pass into the suribachi bowl a dribble of water brought up more glossy lather from the soap hidden in the knot. Very nice lather with great performance that left me error free, moisturized, and near BBS.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks for the suggestion. At this time I would rather keep the regulations how they are. The whole purpose of the box is give and take. The contents are ever-changing. That's part of the fun of being involved. This was originally started with the purpose of trying soaps and creams to see what you like or don't like. It's fun - entertainment - for our hobby. I added the vendor samples for the whole pass-around this time because those people are so generous in their support of TSD. All of those vendor samples were pure donations.

I read the exchange you guys had in the 30-day Focus thread about the Soap Exchange soap. I don't mind marking that specific soap as "not for trade" since they are a TSD vendor as well. If Adam can get it to you and put it in with that caveat I am okay with that. I didn't know about them or that they were a vendor or I probably would have approached them to contribute as well.

However, for the soap box pass-around I don't want to designate soaps not for trade. Let's embrace the give and take/trading philosophy and enjoy it!

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I will get the Soap Exchange soap sent to either @Fly2High or @ob1page this week. I will be interested to see other people's thoughts on it.

6. PLAla

Thank you for the donation!

7. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm game if needed

Drygulch, RyX and PLAla like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's what's going to get ME to sign up for the next Pass Around. There were many products I hadn't tried so I was pleased with The Box while I had it. Seeing the stuff added since I passed it on and reading shave reports is almost as good as trying them myself.

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  9. PLAla

I am sending Ben (@ob1page) three more samples of Route 66 to help replenish the vendor portion for them. @banks741938 remarked that they were running low. I'm donating those samples from my den.

ob1page and RyX like this.
  10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Very generous Perry

PLAla and RyX like this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

DOH, I looked at this thread and I promised myself I wouldn't.

Thanks Perry. I have been very interested to try Route 66. What scents did you put in? No , don't answer that. I cannot take the ups and downs again :)

I will just wait to see what's in the box when it gets to me. Ahhh, OK, I am centered and calm again. Maybe I need to go do another shave just to relax......

All kidding aside, thanks Perry. you are very generous. a big thank you.

Frank

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  12. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

you are the man... I hope they will make it the rest of the pass around...... this has been a great experience. i also have to eat my words about bay rum. Crowne and crane bay rum was wonderful but i do think that one is a exception to the bay rum scent. dosent smell much like any of the other bay rums ive ever smelled.

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  13. PLAla

The TSD Bay Rum that is in the box is really, really strong. It's terrific soap, as all the TSD versions are, but the scent is really powerful. Glad you liked the Crowne and Crane version.

RyX, Straight razor dandy and ob1page like this.
  14. PLAla

Irena from Ginger's Garden (@soapbuddy) has generously agreed to replenish her soaps. She is sending 2oz containers of Suede in tallow formula and British Empire in vegan formula. @banks741938 mentioned that the Ginger's Garden was getting low as well. Thank you, Irena!!

soapbuddy, RyX and ob1page like this.
  15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thank you Irena. I look forward to trying them!!

In 3 more passes, UUUUGHhhhhh!

soapbuddy, RyX, ob1page and 1 other person like this.
  16. PLAla

Good things come to those who wait. Patience good sir, patience.

ob1page likes this.
  17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I am a New Yorker AND Italian

WHAT IS PATIENCE????

Drygulch, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 03242017.gif
    Mitchell's Wool Fat, B-400 Tuxedo
    '59 Gillette Fat Boy & Feather blade
    Alum bloc and P&G Old Spice AS

My second attempt at a small sample of MWF. Common issue when learning to make lather - Use More Product. I scooped up what was left of a sample, mashed it into the textured bottom of my suribachi, and attacked it with the synthetic knot. Much better results as the bowl went from proto to full on creamy thick lather. Fine tuned with a dribble of warm water for "Now I get it" yogurt shiny goodness. I was expecting loud alum but seems glide, cushion, and residual lather from the lanolin soap work well.
    Shame it doesn't come in different scent

dustmite, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

So when does the box move next?

Oh I can't take it. I go to stop reading this THREAD!!!

PLAla likes this.
  20. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Due to fly2highs greedy ways I've decided to keep the box another week. . That ll calm him down.......

youngunn, Drygulch, RyX and 3 others like this.