First Re-knot - The Van Der Maggard

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gwsmallwood, Mar 19, 2017.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My first Re-knot. Steamed the crappy boar knot out. You can see from the handle discoloration that was a bad idea. But since this was meant to be a test brush anyway, and I like the handle shape, I went ahead and set a 22mm Maggard Synth. Filled the hollow handle with about 30 cents worth of pennies and nickels. First test run tomorrow.
    pixlr_20170319081927436.jpg

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good. Hope you like the synthetic.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Garrett, it looks great for a first; don't sweat the learning process. I've destroy one and had catastrophic failure on a couple that had to get some serious modifications. Some Turtle Wax rubbing compound does wonders; seriously takes trash to treasure with a little work. I use a drill and a Dremel to remove knots. As for weight I use BB's mixed with epoxy. One thing I really had to learn was "don't be afraid to take out epoxy when it's too much. It's a lot of fun, keep going.

twhite likes this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

nice. My favorite shape, too.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nicely done!! :)

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good job. Brushes can be addictive. SBAD. I have it bad.

7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

That's a good looking brush!

Nice job.

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Sweet! I love the Maggard synthetic.

HERM

9. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I think it looks great! I did a similar refurb on an ancient William's boar brush that had been badly mistreated. It's just a cheap plastic handle, made for the meagre boar bristle knot it came with.

I was able to chisel the old knot out (never thought of steaming), and used epoxy to glue in the new Maggard 22mm synthetic knot. new brush.jpg

Enrico, twhite and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Similar handle on my re-knot, also originally a boar, just a dark brown base on mine. I opened up the diameter some to use a Frank Shaving 24mm synthetic knot, on the right side of pic.

IMG_1057.jpg

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Garrett, Will that haze polish out ? I will be doing a vintage surrey restore:
    [​IMG]

I'll sand out the seams and polish the entire handle to a glass sheen. Then I'm thinking gold pinstripes in the grooves, fitted with a 24mm TGN 3 band synthetic.

12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

No. It looks as if the top layer of the plastic de-laminated.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

gwsmallwood likes this.
  14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I have that same (or very similar) Maggard knot in a plastic Czech handle, glued in with auto/marine sealant. Haven't used it in a good while 'cuz I prefer the boar bristles of my Strong Set.

[​IMG]

Linuxguile and gwsmallwood like this.