Reknotting an Etsy Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Fly2High, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I did not like to increase the brush's weight so I put a squeeze of clear silicone to fill the hole an a bit on the bottom of the hole and along the bottom side walls. I kept it to a minimum since I did not want to get any on the badger hair. Also I have the rough top surface a quick hit with 600 grit to improve its appearance. Yeah I should have gone out for something finer but I think it did a reasonable improvement to a spot that is now thinner and not really visible to me. I also cleaned up the rim so that it will not run the risk of cutting the hair in use.

Here are the results.

IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3638.JPG

The brush is definitely stiffer in backbone. I will be looking forward to seeing how it breaks in.

I ended up drilling the hole to a depth of 12.8 mm (originally 7mm). Loft is 53mm. Free loft is 45mm. I know for many I should have gone deeper but I am looking for a softer brush than the pure I have already. Also, I can always go deeper in the future. As my first reknot, I think it worked out pretty good so far. Will post an update in the days to come as to how it performs now.

Thank you all for your assistance in this

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    ninjack, RyX, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think it looks great. And as you said, you can always take it down a bit if you want. Congrats. It really is a pretty handle stock.

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Update:
    I thought the brush was great..... until I got a Jayaruh brush!!! Now I know what backbone really is and this brush is too soft.

I put one of my daughter's ponytail scrunchies on the knot just above the handle during my shave to see if I would like it a bit stiffer and I did.

Just a little tug caused the knot to release with ease. It was in there right enough but I still felt some of the silicone not fully dry. It peeled of the knot base easily but in the bottom, it was still a little wet. Not sure if this was caulk or water. I wiped it out and prepped it as before with tape for drilling.

Using the previous methodology, I drilled it to a depth of 19mm this time. This was based on the thickness of the scrunchie. Minutes later, the knot was reset. Now to give it a few days to dry before trying it. It looks tighter and feels better with more backbone when I tried it prior to gluing. Loft is now about 50mm.
    IMG_3707.JPG

RyX, mrchick, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

It has now been a little time and I have used this brush several times. I find the improved backbone to be very good. I find it has improved scrubbing sensation without any scratch. It is not as soft feeling as before but it is still softer than my other pure badger brushes. Definitely it loads from Stirling soap much better. In all, I would recommend to anyone using this knot to set it about 16-19mm deep. Lesser for softer and more for backbone. It made all the difference to me.

ninjack, RyX and mrchick like this.