March 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2017.

?

Rule or Focus this month?

1. Rule! It's all about solid technique!

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Focus on soaps/creams

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Focus on blades

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Focus on a razor or razors

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. Focus on brushes

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Cleaning house baby - stuff's gonna PIF!

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Shenanigans

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Focus? On cookies!

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Awesome shot. How long were you in the snow to get the birds? Did you get any of them?

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy108:good one Adam. Self preservation should always be foremost in ones mind. IMO. When my gives me that look, I look her straight in the eye and say, "Would you like to go out for dinner tonight dear?"

Drygulch, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

You have a way capturing the turkeys! Great picture!

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Clint.

Drygulch, PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have a couple of foxholes strategically placed around. I'm kidding, maybe. :) They have been coming around all Winter. They get seeds that fall down from the feeders I have. Sometimes when the weather has been bad for awhile I'll feed the Turkey's. Wild Turkey's aren't that good to eat especially this time of year. They have more meat on them in the Fall. Some people deep fry them.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jim. That was a lucky shot. I didn't realize I had captured them until I saw the picture on my computer.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

March Madness
    Barbasol and Barber Blade Edition
    Day Twenty-Four

[​IMG]

After four straight days of this $20 stainless steel Parker SRX, I can say that it gets my full approval. Feels like a real straight in the hand, same great irritation free goodness as the Magic. Hope everyone had a great Friday! I am about to head out looking for fun in the late afternoon sun after a nice Adidas-finished two pass. Other than that...all is quiet in Waikoloa.

Have a great weekend!

8. Bama Samurai

[​IMG]

Don't have to ask a Bama kid twice to go to a pig roast...

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

They probably don't have pig ear sandwiches there though do they. Or is it Southern Hawaii?

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness & Spring Cleaning!!

March 24

Razor -Feather SS
    Blade - [​IMG] (4)
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - BoS Omega 10060
    Post - Alum

Three in a row for the Feather SS and the first two were nice and nicer. Will this one be the nicest? The lather was good and slick, everything looked good and ready to go and........yep, another very nice DFS from this razor and the Pro blade. Again I hesitate to mention that I feel like it was an automatic process tonight. Never had to hunt for hand position, grip, nothing. I'm more nervous by the shave with it going this well but able to shut it off and just shave when I get there. One change in technique that I did try again tonight, and first tried last night, was the direction on my left neck on the second pass. Instead of going true XTG from ear to throat I went instead on a diagonal run from chin toward the back of the neck. Then my next strokes came ear to throat on a diagonal. And...both nights no need for anymore touchup on what is normally a trouble spot for me. Now to try it with a DE and see if I can replicate it. If so, there's a trouble spot from the very beginning that is finally solved.

Hope you have a great weekend. I'll be holding down the fort at work so you don't have to!

March 24.jpg

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hey, that's catchy. Almost like your Technique Trumped your Tools? Sounds sort of G-Slide-ish. I'll give it a try next I take up a shavette.
    Goo Jorb Neal!
    Good Jorb!.jpg

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sort of a G-slide, yes but a very cautious and slight one. Don't want too much horizontal slice motion going on with the pain stick. It's an angle, though, I haven't tried and not sure why I decided to, but yep, it works for me and the strange growth pattern on my neck.

13. Bama Samurai

Actually is southern Hawaii... Pulled pork whole pig!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

March 25, 2017​
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti​
    Feather Pro Super (14)​
    Romera Olive Wood Synthetic​
    Reef Point Tranquility​
    Fine Lavender​
    [​IMG]

This week is coming to an end which makes today's shave the last with this lineup. Reef Point Tranquility has been the biggest surprise this week. The soap is very easy to lather and I find the soap very slick with great post shave feel. The scent is just an intoxicating mix of lavender and peppermint with very good scent strength. This is the scent I expected from Cambridge and Oxford. Despite having very little backbone, the Romera Synthetic is a lather making machine. Since it dries so quickly, the Romera is my brush of choice when I travel. The Mongoose/Feather Super Pro combo provides me with consistently close comfortable shaves. Being able to get 14 daily shaves from each blade is an added bonus. The shave this morning was another automatic 3 pass near BBS. I finished off the shave with a splash of Fine Lavender. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, once again the Jayaruh gave me a nice solid shave by way of its loading strength. I can go right back to it in 5 days after I use Rise, which is next up in the rotation. It should be dry and set by then.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  16. Paul Turner

e-be-dee-e-be-dee that's all folks

Bama Samurai, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It was only a matter of time. I ended up with a weeper this morning. It was a good run of bloodless shaves. Even with the weeper, I'm smooth and refreshed
    SOTD
    Mickey Lee Soapworks The Drunken Goat
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Koraat Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Florida Water After Shave
    Have a great weekend![​IMG]

18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Day 30 of 30 days of straights

I had a good shave today, at least a DFS. This finishes 30 days of learning straights. After 30 days, I am still cutting myself on a regular basis and my face looks like a cheese grater attacked it. But, I have managed to get decent shaves almost every day. Focusing on one thing really does make a difference. What's next? Well, I have 3 new Henckel razors, one of which I have been using regularly. The next 30 days I will explore the differences between the three.

DIY Pre-shave Oil
    ABC
    30mm High Mountain White set an extra 10mm deep
    3 passes, WTG, XTG, XTG
    Sampsons All Natural Aftershave Balm
    6/8 Round Toe Henckel 17 1/2

Linuxguile, Keithmax, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

well, as we approach the end of another month, it would appear that Focus On Razor Or Razors will be the Secretariat(Belmont Stakes, 1973)of this group.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful razor Brian. :happy096: