So many soap choices

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Paul76, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I was wondering some things about the col conk soaps, like how well does it lather and are the scents overpowering or more mild? I have a sample pack on the way from the whipped dog and just wondering what I should expect.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You ask AFTER you buy it? :p
    I found it so-so. I wasn't impressed.
    But that's me.

dustmite likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not remember them being over powering. A nice plain Jane type soap. I liked them as I recall. It has been awhile since I used any of them though.

Paul76 likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They work just fine. Not my first choice and I no longer have any in my den, but you could do worse.

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Have to agree with Steve. The time to ask is before ya buy, but hey, not my circus, not my monkeys.

6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I found them to be okay at best. The scent was nice, but the performance was meh...

Paul76 likes this.
  7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Like Primotenore, I found them decent (purchased a sampler) but there are a lot of other choices that perform better. Not bad for the price though.

Sent via mobile

Paul76 and dustmite like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I used Col Conk Lime for my Shave of the day on 02/24/2017
    SOTD 02042017.gif
    It can be lathered, but I'd say the scent was on the mild side. It's not a "soap" of the old fashion tallow type. More a vegan / glycerine type. I bought a puck, warmed it in the microwave to melt it to fit the dish shown. Haven't used it much. It's OK but not spectacular in my view.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am not a fan of anything from Col. Conk.

10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:signs011:

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

YMMV

RyX likes this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Col Conk glycerin soap is just ok. Not terrible but there are glycerin soaps out there that cost less and perform better IMO. But Conk is not bad and hopefully it will work well for you. Make sure to load plenty of soap and slowly add more water.

Just a word of advice, I highly recomend you do some reaserch or ask questions before ordering shave soaps, it can save you both money and agrivation.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

My first soap was the High Desert Breeze. I enjoyed the scent, but it wasn't overpowering at all. I recommend getting a bigger dish, and melting the soap into that to give you more to work with. I did it, and it made a big difference. i also soaked the puck in warm water for a while (while it was in its own container). That also helped.

So it will work, but there are better soaps out there. On the plus side, if you can lather Conk you can lather just about anything.

Paul76 and RyX like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm a research freak.....I have two soaps I hope to buy before the year is over, and I like what I've read about both so far.

SHAVEWIZARD420, Paul76 and RyX like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

They are so-so. You should have asked before. No worries.

Buy Stirling soap and Barrister and Mann soap.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don't let the grumpy guys get you down. You will enjoy those soaps I bet.

Drygulch, RyX and Paul76 like this.
  18. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Well I had purchased the sampler pack to try something different, and who better to buy from than the person who gave me a lot of information on sr shaving and gave me a great deal on a truly shave ready razor. If not for him I wouldn't be using a sr. So thank you to the men who try to help others.

swarden43 likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Col. Conk lathers well for me and does the job. The scents are all rather mild and go away fairly quickly. It is a good cheap soap. I have Bay Rum, Lime, and Amber.

20. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I opted not to get the lime I decided on the almond instead. Lime just doesn't appeal to me.