As you got older, did your chosen razor and blade change?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

TSD gang,
    I was reading about how the skin and hair changes as we get older and grey.

I was curious to ask those of us who have been shaving for some time now, has your choice of razor and blade changed due to skin and hair changes with age and if so what was is?

Thanks for the glimpse into what the future might hold for me.

Frank

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Since I was old when I started, "no problem mon". :)

Bama Samurai, George X and Matt0210 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been shaving for about 38 years.
    Aside from switching from carts to DEs, SEs and straights, thus eliminating irritation and getting closer shaves, I haven't noticed any change in my skin and whiskers from 16 to 54 ('cept some gray, of course).

Bama Samurai and George X like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I've been using DE razors for about a decade now, and I find I'm able to use equipment that previously gave me trouble. My beard is about 60% grey now, but I don't notice that it's changed in consistency. I do have more wrinkles, but that problem is solved with skin stretching. I'll give a stock answer; technique trumps tools!

wchnu and RetLEO-07 like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope. The same technique works with the same tools. I have changed favorites because I bought something different,but not due to the ole mug getting older. Cheer up young man. It's a fun journey.

Bama Samurai and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sure are a lot of old geezers around here......just saying.

7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Young man!!!!

I am at the peak of the hill at 45!

I guess it's all down hill from here lol

Besides, I was born old

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Know that feeling.

9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Not for me.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think so, at one time I just wanted to use the most aggressive razor I had, sure my technique has changed but so has my skin.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Mine changes almost daily.

12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

OK, all you whippersnappers! 64 years shaving and "rising". Electric first. Hated it! Double edge Gillette, then Schick single edge razors & all with next to no training. Hated it and all of it!! Meanwhile I got hairier and hairier! Electric & Then cartridge & then electric once again. All that right from the beginning to retirement! Rolls Razor brand new for a spell & the very best shave right until stone strop dropped and broke on the bathroom floor. No replacements available back then! Long before the Bay and the internet for sure! Then cartridges for many years with all the standard problems So much alternating with the most expensive electric shavers and cartridges. Speed of the most importance because of work! In-growns more than I care to admit to mostly from the numerous electric periods. Finally back to double edge, The internet and learning technique! With retirement, now trying anything and everything till death do us part. Probably not to long for that? Trying every kind and type of blade & razor combination & Now alternating between DE and SE and whatever is new coming down the Pike. Kind of a great hobby really! Something to do, and for me--a hobby of sorts and shaving is still a damn CHORE!!! Something to be done every day. I Hate beards and stubble! Hate the grunge look of today. Reminds me of many years of BO surrounding me and all those people with dirty clothes and trailing scents to make me gag!!!? Lazy slobs for the most part grow beards, long dirty hair, no trimming to be seen. Not all but generally that's what I observe! That's my opinion for what it is worth! and, I have had a mustache for 49 years. Hides my Chicken lips according to my wife of 48 years!!!

swarden43 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Who let the old guy have his keyboard back?:D I loved reading that. Thanks.

bdalemauger likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But due to skin and hair change daily?

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm 61, haven't really noticed much difference other than now shaving my head and that fact influences razor choices as head shaves are much more demanding. Skin gets a little saggy I guess so skin stretching becomes more important.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

wchnu likes this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm only two years behind ya Joe and after 29 years of having to shave for work I also can't stand the "grunge" look. I've had my 'stache for 43 yrs.
    And may I finally say, "Get off my lawn!"

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    No. I find that I can shave successfully with just about any razor/blade combo. Technique trumps hardware.

dustmite and wchnu like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am still a baby compared to some of you, have not hit 50 yet, but I can not stand the grungy look either.

19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that in most things in life technique trumps hardware. But, I have also come to the conclusion that technique is severely controlled by skill. And, unfortunately we all don't have a heck of a lot of skill in everything. I find shaving skills to be not so easy for me. That's why I think cartridge razors came about. I don't believe in the razor and blades idea of economics. skill, time limitations, cost--what about those? And, I am thankful to still have some facility with a keyboard of any sort! And, what about people actually getting satisfaction at doing something, that requires some skill, themselves!!! I hate people who don't do anything or learn anything and, brag about how they saw or listened to someone who was so darn great. We've become a nation of watchers and not doers! More shop/practical classes and far fewer study halls!

wchnu likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My complexion has improved greatly post carts.