Which Super Speed Can Be For Beginners?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 25, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree there. You gotta stick with it. Not be changing everything all the time while learning.

I just wanted to point out that there are razors best left alone until you get the basics down.

dustmite likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

All razors are the same. 25 degree bevel against the skin. Only difference in safety razors is how badly they will punish poor technique. I will agree that some are "safer" to learn with, but will stick to my guns about there not being any beginner razors, this is a perception we have as modern Internet browsing option-aware shavers. Back in 1906 the single ring and SE was all there was, and people certainly learned to shave just fine.

It's not. It's about a 5.5 on a Slim.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Start with a straight razor.
    Simple.
    Basic.
    One blade to rule them all.

No need to worry about aggressiveness...just careful of the jugular. :p:D

RyX and dustmite like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

I actually wish I'd done just this.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    dustmite likes this.
  5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I agree, but considering MOST people are coming from carts or disposables, I think the head design of Gem style SE's are intimidating, and hard to maneuver under the nose and around the jaw line. Just my opinion, but the first razor I'd recommend to anyone entering the hobby is a Schick injector, G or later...

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Many of my open comb DEs are milder than many of my DEs with a solid bar.
    That all OC razors are more agressive is a myth.

Bama Samurai and dustmite like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Reinforcing the "option-aware" theory? I love the G! Gateway drug to straights!

RyX and dustmite like this.
  8. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Just let me have a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Slim Adjustable, and a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip and I'll be happy. That's just me and my personal preference.

9. Bama Samurai

Not really for you, but for newer guys, OC has absolutely nothing to do aggressiveness. OC simply leaves openings to accommodate growth and allows more lather to remain on the skin during the blade pass.

dustmite and swarden43 like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

The Slim is actually nine different razors. Of those three, you are guaranteed great shaves.

RyX likes this.
  11. theguitarshaver559

I know, but I'm still going to hold on to the Gillette Tech because I won it from Ebay, and the Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip because it was kindly offered to me by a PIF.

RyX, wchnu and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As has been pointed out to you before, in the grand scheme of things there is not a big difference between them. They are all relatively easy shavers aimed at the masses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. theguitarshaver559

And they're all great razors.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All true. Before that people learned on a straight. Currently we have better choices. It's my opinion newer shavers should learn on a "safer" razor. Today they CAN make a choice.

15. dustmite

I only have one OC DE, and while I don't find it aggressive, it doesn't seem to tolerate mistakes as well as a safety bar. I can't speak for all razors, just the few I have experience with. My goal with recommendations is to help people avoid the same mistakes I have made, and hopefully help people find comfortable, affordable, and enjoyable shaves.

RyX likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Which OC? I think the appearance rattles people.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You haven't shaved with them, remember? Maybe they suck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fsfty and dustmite like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very true. My olds and single ring I would rate as aggressive. I have a new somewhere that is a pussy cat. The OC Damaskeene is milder to me while the OC micro matic is very aggressive. As usual ymmv. But oc does not mean aggressive.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Oh, I hear ya, and agree with what your saying.

I just took opportunity to dispell the "all OCs are agressive" myth. My Mekur 11C, an open comb, just may be my mildest DE of all my DEs.
    Now grab an OLD type and one will quickly learn what agressive is!

dustmite and wchnu like this.
  20. dustmite

A Pearl. I was chasing Gillette's on ebay, and they all kept going for more than I wanted to pay, especially with split handles... I picked up the Pearl for $15, shipped. I like the razor quite a bit, especially if I have a couple days extra growth, but it's the most unforgiving DE in my limited stable.