SoS: March 20, 2017 - March 26, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I can say, however, I notice a difference in how my skin feels as well as the nature of the lather when I compare Stirling's Sheep Soap [bath bar] and their other beef tallow bar soaps. One could argue the lather improvement is secondary to the absence of FO/EOs. It would stand to reason there's some perceptible difference as translated into the shave soaps. Otherwise, why would Rod vary his base? Unless, of course, it was done just to get our attention and make some sales. I admit, the reason I ordered this year's Glastonbury is because of the marketing email I received touting it's mutton tallow base. I am a sucker, after all.

clint64, EzraCobb, ram57 and 5 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think the skin feel is definitely different between the too, and my wife would agree when she uses the Sheep bath soaps.

I think the slicker feel may be in my head, though.

3. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

Second go with the Chiseled Face Rhinocerous. Finding a pairing has proved... Challenging. After a few sniffs I came to my Barrister and Mann Leviathan. Not a match but very harmonious as they share notes of sandalwood and leather. It's a winner in my book! Oh, and the #15Aristocrat performed flawlessly as always! Happy Saturday, everyone!
    [​IMG]

rodd, Primotenore, RyX and 19 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I concur.

clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod170326.jpg
    Sunday's March SE Maddness Shave
    zcws.gif

Dove Men Face Wash
    Col. Conk Lime
    Jayaruh #150
    Gem Push-Button
    CVS SE
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Speick AS

The Col. Conk Lime Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #150 synthetic brush. I did two passes the Gem Push-Button and CVS SE blade, and I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Speick AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Primotenore, billdog2, RyX and 17 others like this.
  6. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

You and I have already discussed this, but for those unaware:

If someone's interested in making a paired aftershave splash for Chiseled Face's Rhinoceros, what I did works pretty well. There's probably a more elegant way of accomplishing this, but this was quick and easy and provides good results.

I purchased the full bottle of Rhino from Zoologist, but I also purchased a sample pack. A single sample of Rhino is $6 USD (2.5 mL / 0.08 oz). I had an empty ~4 oz amber bottle and filled it half-way with Unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe. Then I added 91% isopropyl alcohol just short of filling the bottle. Then, I emptied the entire Rhino sample into the bottle. Perfect pairing. The scent strength was also quite good. This ratio is just fine for me, but if it seems a bit harsh, you could add water or glycerin, I guess. Menthol is also an option.

FYI, the pump-spray cap on the sample pops off easily with some firm lateral pressure. A cloth may be beneficial to facilitate grip and mitigate spillage.

RyX, clint64, RaZorBurn123 and 6 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with an old Japanese razor. I Finished it on the Arkie Surgical Black, and it did wonderfully. This stone took it from a 7 to a solid 9 on the 1-10 scale. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, with almost BBS results. No Touchups.

Razor- Japanese "JPN 1000" 6/8th
    Brush- Vintage Boar.
    Soap- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic, Glacial.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy
    P3250764.JPG

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 19 others like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20170325_190025.jpg

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Gillette Green
    Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
    Soap: Paladin Silk Road

This was the last shave with this blade, it lasted a very long time and actually got better with age. The Paladin Silk Road is to my nose a barbershop type of scent, clean pleasant scent but nothing like Uncle Jon's Silk Road at all. The performance was not bad at all, but to be honest I think I prefer the other Soap Smooth formula, but this was my first shave with it so who knows. It lathered well so no complaints. 3 pass shave this evening and have really enjoyed this Wilkinson Sword Classic Razor and for less than $10 shipped it is well worth trying and wish I had tried it sooner since it works a million times better than the DE Razor I got at Sally's for around the same price. This one is very forgiving so perfect for newbies and experienced wet shavers. Finished off with Kraken milk for a smooth ending for a decent shave. Hope everyone enjoyed their shave, and have a great rest of your weekend!

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 20 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't know. It has been on hiatus for a while, and it had the old labels when I bought it last.

clint64, RaZorBurn123 and ram57 like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

Just slicker, IMO. Like drop your brush slick. If Rod switched out all his soap to the mutton, I would PIF the two dozen or so tubs I have and replace every last one of them.

RyX, clint64, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

Yes, I should have added the skin care is better than any soap I have ever had. Dry winters are SO long in MN, and a couple winters ago, this was the only soap I wanted to use for nearly a month. I put a huge dent in the Scots Pine that year.

RyX, clint64, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

It HAS to happen when you are out of town.

13. PickledNorthern

Congrats Kerry. It is the best shaving, smoothest, most comfortable safety razor I have ever used. I really do like it that much.

My favorite blade in it is a nipped off Feather Pro. Gives it a little blade feel, but I swear it still feels like you would have to try to nick yourself.

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That's right! I just shook my head.

RyX, clint64, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Sounds like a run to Walmart and a Van Der Hagen in your immediate future.

16. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

3/25/2017
    sotn
    [​IMG]

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 20 others like this.
  17. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday's Planned SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: The Single Edge Polished
    Blade: Personna (01)
    Brush: Oscar11 w 25mm HMW
    Bowl: Wedgwood China Pedestal 4 ½”
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Aventus
    Pre-Shave: Chatillon Lux Lavender
    Shave Soap: Klar Kabinett
    Aftershave: Extro' Florentia

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 16 others like this.
  18. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

03/26/17 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Cellar Door Bath Supply Co Haunted Woods Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements ICE Pre-Shave Soap
    Arko Shaving Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Blue Train Custom 24mm Silvertip Badger Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Mühle R41 Razor 2013 Head
    Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 1st Shave
    RazoRock Alum Stick
    Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
    RazoRock Mr. Pink After Shaving Splash
    NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm

D IMG_4926.jpg

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 18 others like this.
  19. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Bob, Happy Belated Birthday - I've been on the road. Nice photo with the green (I wish the sun was out enough here for my lawn to be that color). That is the way to enjoy!
    Steve

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness & Spring Cleaning!!

March 25

Razor - Fatip Piccolo
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Stirling Sandalwood
    Brush - Vie Long 10601 The Pony
    Post - Alum

A bit of a change in routine tonight. After throwing my two cents worth on what type of brush is the scritchiest (that would be a 25/75 horse), I realized I hadn't touched my horse brush in ages. It's a 35/75 and very nice and scritchy too. I do enjoy that sensation. So, let's see what it will do with one of the new soaps I've been using. I chose the Stirling sandalwood, and in keeping with aggressive shaves loaded a Ladas into the Fatip.

Here's where the routine changed even more. Not only did I grab the Pony, I also bowl lathered. I do that maybe twice a year. Normally it's load the brush and face lather. But, while loading the brush I saw the lather building nicely in the wooden bowl I keep the sample puck in, so I switched over to my now empty VDH bowl. It didn't take 30 seconds to get a rich and abundant supply of really fantastic lather. I then applied it with more of a painting than swirling motion, which horses do very nicely, and was honestly really amazed at how slick it was. Incredibly so. One of the best lathers I've had this month.

The Fatip made quick work of things with the Ladas and it was extremely smooth for two full passes and touchup. The lather for the second pass was just wonderful to apply. The brush really loaded well and carried the lather without any problem to where I needed it. I had enough left over to shave a couple more times.

Finish was a near-BBS and I used my newfound angle from last night to work my left nick into shape faster than normal. A great diversion to grab the horsey and I need to remember it's here more often!

Hope you're having a great weekend. Not a great day at work and......if North Carolina loses tomorrow I will have missed the entire Final Four. The shave tonight was needed!

[​IMG]

Primotenore, RyX, jimjo1031 and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.