Is it fine to shave with cold water on face?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 26, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Ever since I began shaving with a multi blade cartridge razor, I've been wetting my face with warm water. As suggested to me a few weeks ago to shave with cold water to avoid my face to turn red, I decided to give it a try but before I do, I just want to know if I can get away with splashing my face with cold water to shave.

mikewood and Jayaruh like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Been doing it for some time. Irritation has dropped a lot and feels a lot better. All I can say is, just try it.

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people who do it. Not for me, just because I hate cold water on my face.

Sent via mobile

DesertTime and Jayaruh like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    Not for me.
    But....

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Herm2502, Jayaruh and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I don't shave with cold water a lot, but there are days that I do, And tomorrow is a day that I choose to shave with cold water.

Jayaruh and Hodge like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If you haven't picked up on it yet, what works for/on my face may not work for/on your face. I am not a cold water shaver, but you may be. Just as certain blades may work well for you the same blade may not work for me. YMMV.

Jayaruh and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When I shaved with multi-bladed cartridges, I had to use hot water to rinse the blades, but now with one blade I can rinse in the sink of water with cold water easily. I have been cold water shaving for a couple of years now. I love it. It works for me. You don't know if it will work for you unless you give it a try. Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I LOVE cold water shave because it gives me far less irritation throughout my shave regardless of what seasons. Click here for The Case for Cold Water Shaving

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    BayouFlyFisher likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Won't hurt a thing. I cold water shave in all but the coldest months of winter. The only thing that matters is your preference to it.

10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I like warm water in the winter but I recently switched back to cool water. It feels good and it goes well with mentholated creams, plus it soothes razor burn at least temporarily.

brit likes this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Of course, why wouldn't it be fine? Just try it to see if you like it.

12. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I shave with cold water every day. I have sensitive skin and it really helps with irritation.

13. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Absolutely. You can shave with cold water if you want and it wont effect the quality of the shave whatsoever. Ive tried it and it works fine, I just find warm water to be more pleasant.

Bookworm and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

+1

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've been shaving with cold water for over a year now. I find it helps with redness and irritation. Always know that we advocate using whatever works best for YOU. No judgment if you want to shave with cold water, hot water, no water, etc. Experiment, find what you like, and go with it!

RyX, RetLEO-07 and swarden43 like this.
  16. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It does help me. Usually I shave mornings in the shower and that's hot with lots of steam and results in a fast shave.

If I shave in the sink I would wait till the water heated up and that wasted water. Now I just fill the basin with about 2" of water. Drop the brush in. Wipe any face with a wet towel or splash a little water on and shave. It's not cold per say. Just room temp. I get a closer and more comfortable shave with "cold" water. Seems strange at first going from carts and hot water. Then nostalgic thinking about WWII vets and helmets. Now it's a treat for the few days that I don't shower in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Shave warm, rinse cold for the least irritation.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've been shaving cold for over a year and like it a lot.

Billyfergie and SpeedyPC like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

Somebody did a thread on no water shaving. No water? No way(shudder):eek:

PLAla likes this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've mentioned before that my father-in-law and grandfather both shaves with no water. Not sure if there's a thread on it anywhere on TSD though.