NEW handle comparison.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've picked up three separate LC news, and a NEW handle combined with a undated Tech head (handle cracked)

What I've noticed is that the handles are MOSTLY the same, but with variances in material and patterning.

Going from the top down, we have a NEW handle with the unknurled band at the top. Note that the bottom of the threaded section is flat. There is gold plating left, so it was obviously manufactured flat. The brass is copper coloured, rather than yellow. The next one in line is the handle that came with a Tech head. The bottom of the threaded section is rounded. The barrel, the first section of smooth metal is narrower, and the first knurled section is wider - but the rest is the same. (Possibly a deeper second band). The handle is _yellow_ brass, not copper. (more zinc?)

The third, polished one, is the same as the bottom dark razor. When I started scrubbing, the lacquer just stripped right off. Apparently all that was holding it together was the dirt. So I decided to make a virtue out of necessity, and finished the stripping and polishing. It's definitely a copper coloured brass, and the threaded section is rounded.

The fourth (last) one is a Gillette overstrike Otto Roth NEW. Note the knurling at the top, rather than a smooth section of handle. It also has a rounded threaded section base.

So, at some point in the production of the NEW, Gillette changed the handle design, the threaded section design, and the alloy used for the handle.

DSCN0149.jpg NEW-Pre-Polycoat-Handle.jpg Gillette-n-Otto_Roth_overstrike01.jpg

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Handsome patina on the Otto.

3. Bookworm

The NEW is on my list for getting replated. I haven't figured out what the black mark might be.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have never regretted replating mine.
    100_1951b.jpg

gorgo2, Primotenore, twhite and 6 others like this.
  5. Bookworm

I was planning on simply having it nickel plated, as I want it for use, and that's the most robust and inexpensive plating. I could even do it myself if I wanted to order the chemicals. I probably won't, because then I have to figure out how to dispose of everything when done.

Correction to earlier post - the NEW I'm going to leave as is. The Otto Roth I'm looking at replating. I mistyped.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0097.JPG
    My NEW SC circa 1932-1940

7. Bookworm

I just wasn't able to get ahold of a SC, oddly enough. Only long combs.

8. Bookworm

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There were different handle designs based on what they were labeled as. Black and Red sets had different handles, like your top pics, and others with knurling all the way. Some were Exposition models, but same as some Red and Blacks. Without cases, hard to tell and at times Gillette would just put what ever they had left over.

Bookworm likes this.
  10. Bookworm

You mean, "Hey, Bob. I ran out of handles over here. Could you pass some of the ones from your line to me?"

Or, at the end of the day. "Hm. I have four handles left over. Let's just dump them into the 'leftovers' pile for the next guy that comes up short."

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Bookworm

The one with the patina was just a standard NEW LC. When I washed it, the lacquer just peeled off. Apparently all that was holding it together was dirt and oil.
    It's the same one in another thread that I used a polyacrylic.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

My NEW LC also has the knurling up to the top.
    Got a trend going.
    NEW LC detail.gif

Bookworm and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Same as mine and also same handle used on the 1933 Exposition Model for the World's Fair in Chicago. Also the Blue Gold Special, came in a Blue and Gold cardboard box.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    RyX likes this.