Voskhod Blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

First off - does anyone else constantly want to call them VOSH-KODS? I'm constantly having to correct myself, lol. :p

[​IMG]

These blades are amazing! For some reason, I had always written them off as being lower than the Astra SP, even though I, naively, never tried them. I happened to get a sample 5 pack with an order and figured I'd give them a shot for this evening shave. Wow! So glad I did!

I loaded a fresh Voskhod into my Pre-War Gillette Tech, face lathered my Soap Commander Integrity with my Omega Pro 49, and set off. This blade cruised through my 3 day growth like it wasn't even there - no pulling or tugging what so ever. I even went against the grain on my neck and chin with zero weepers or cuts of any kind.

I've been using Astra SPs and Personna Lab Blues as my daily drivers and Voskhods are now going to be up on that mantle as well, if not replacing the top spot all together. The Voskhods seemed to have the smoothness of the Astra SPs, but coupled with the sharpness of the Personnas. A beautiful mix of the best of the both worlds. :D

I seem to lean towards the Russian steel more when it comes to blades it seems. These feel similar to the Rapira Platinums, but a lot sharper.

Has anyone else used these? I don't see them mentioned all that often on many of the forums.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have several tucks of Volkhods. I find them to work decently in my Fatboy, although there are a few others I prefer. The prices on them are quite reasonable as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Voskhods are my favorite blades, but I also like Astra SP and Personna Lab Blues - the latter in less aggressive/efficient razors.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I had no good luck with Voskhods, at least not after the first shave. They seem to be better in 3 piece than in TTO.

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG Voskhod, the pride of the Rodina, is the blade of choice for my '71 Super Adjustable 109. Between it and GSB, I'm Allstate.

lightcs1776, Screwtape, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

7. RetLEO-07

8. Legend In My Spare Time

I wouldn't say they were the sharpest blade I've ever tried, but they were probably the smoothest shave yet. I usually get some tugging on my neck, no matter what, but this blade breezed right through it no problem.

Now, it did take a few more passes than usual during my clean up. With my Personna Lab Blues, I'm BBS with 2 passes and minor touch ups. The Voskhod had 2 passes and quite a few more touch up spot-passes to get my face where I wanted it to be. Even with those extra passes I didn't experience any irritation or burn. A great blade overall.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There's a few threads floating around here from where I facilitated a couple of group buys on these blades. I think in total, we bought 40,000 of these in the group buys. Or 20,000. I don't recall. I've still got 1,000 or so of them. Unfortunately, I read in another thread here on TSD that they were discontinued when Unilever bought out the company. IMHO, a damn fine blade.

10. Legend In My Spare Time

How are the longevity of these blades? I was always blown away by how many shaves I could get out of my Astras and Personnas. I'd imagine I could get somewhere around there with these. They feel as if they're made of some quality for sure.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As is usual with blades. your mileage may vary.... based on hair type, how often you shave, how many you have on hand. Because I have so many, I change out mine once every 2 weeks but I know I could get at least a month out of a single blade with some palm stropping. Granted I only shave 2, sometimes 3, times a week but that's my neck beard and my whole head so it gets quite a bit of hair use.

12. RetLEO-07

When I shave with them it's Sunday to Friday, Sunday is usually a three pass and during the week are 2.5. By Friday I'm sure they could go further, but why? Into the blade bank and let's get out a fresh one! :)

13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

They work for me. I have about 150 laying around in my stash. I mostly use Voskhod and GSB.

14. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

They are my favorite blade by far. I've tried pretty much all the Russian blades, feather, personas red and blue, lazer, astra.

I also just got a 5 pack of Gillette platinum. They are right up there in performance and smoothness but price is a lot higher. About to order 100 voshkods

15. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

They are decent. I prefer astras and nacets, but i rotate vokshods(as my brain says it)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

They don't work for me at all in TTO or 3 piece. I very much prefer Astra SP, Personna lab, Ladas, or Gillette Platinum. Need to try GSB. I have a pretty tough thick beard; although mostly gray now, I used to have a 5:00 shadow by 1:00. My skin is not particularly sensitive.

17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

The last batch I got from them they were tugging like crazy! so I ended up selling all 400 of them. The first ones I got from tryablade were pretty awesome for 3 shaves only but none the less awesome so naturally I decided to buy 400 of them straight from Russia, big mistake cause looks like either was a bad batch or seriously gone wrong QC

18. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Good all around blade. Not extremely sharp as in Feather or Kai, but sharp enough and a nice smooth efficient blade. I use them every once in a while. I get a weeks worth. Can I get more? Maybe, but for the price why bother.

19. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I only realized that they are NOT called Vosh-kods only when i read your post. It's a damn shame, because Voshkod sounds much better than Voskhods...

I 've read very conflicting reports on these blades, from dull to Featherlike sharp and also some similar reports from TTO users finding them not great. I am not sure if they were the same who were saying that the blade was experiencing a sudden collapse (in longevity). Anyway, here at the moment nobody sells them, they are "on arrival" since Friday on a website, at this point, i am ordering new batch of blades from my fav shop who doesn't have them and frankly, for over twice the cost of AstrasSP, i have no hurry to get them. At some point, in the distant future, when i will have enough reasons to order from that other shop, i will buy a 10-20 quantity, but, i am pretty much settled on my brands now.

Yes, but you don't count, because even Derbys work for you. :happy097: Your opinion would be of some interest only in case they DIDN'T work for you. Now THAT would some shocking news and the whole forum should gather up and try to find out why. :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

"Voskhod" means "Sunrise/Dawn" in Russian, reminiscent of Gillette 7AM